currently reading? v2.0 (1 Viewer)

Super Dexta

time for another one of these threads, they're good for recommendations and the like, and the last one has attained epic proportions.

i'm reading:
'American Psycho' which I'm not getting on too well with
'Introducing Genetics' - y'know those 'Introducing...' books that are all pictures and shit, it's basic stuff but good
'We Owe You Nothing' - the Punk Planet collected interviews thing, which is fantastic.

Currently reading Chris Ware edited "McSweeneys 13th" Some serious deadliness, some crap.
That American Psyxho book is crap, in fact anything I've read by BEE has been crap. Dont think I've ever finished a whole book of his though, coz they've been crap.
You get those introducing books for 4.50 in Hodges? Those yokes have saved my ass from the shit on more than one occassion.
Good books.

I hate Bret Easton Ellis too ...... talentless muck in my opinion

currently reading You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers. Enjoying it big time even though it reminds me of Everything Is Illuminated which I didn't like much ....

I bought the eggers book for my hols in Sept (that's my hint for you not to give away anything about it, Hugh). 'Heartbreaking work...' was deadly (if uneven).

I must look out for those 'Introducing...' books. I am so ignorant of so many scientific areas. I know C means carbon, but apart from that...

I'd read 'Less Than Zero' by Brett Easton Ellis before and quite liked it... then I picked up the DVD of 'American Psycho' for a tenner in HMV the other day, and then I saw the book for four quid in Hodges Figgis' sale, and I was like 'fuck it, if I'm going to see the film I might as well read the book'. It's a bit of a pain in the hole though.
The 'Introducing' books are indeed from HF as well. It's the first one I've ever bought, I prefer books with more words, but I was trying to explain something about genetics to my ma the other day, and realised I had no idea what I was talking about, so it had to be sorted out.
Next on the list is Matt Ridley 'Genome', which i read in first year in college and have now forgotten everything out of. It was great. Another HF sale find.

Just finished 2 books...Fast Food nation by Eric Schlosser (by the time I read the line..i paraphrase.. "each hamburger contains the meat of anywhere between 30 to 300 different cows" I had definitely decided never to eat in a fast food "restaurant" again) and "The Star of the Sea" by Joseph O'Connor which was a mighty fine read. I'd recommend this to anyone who's looking for a decent book at the moment.

Just started "Jarhead : A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War and Other Battles by Anthony Swofford". It's too soon to tell what this is like.

Also got Bill Brysons "A Short History of Nearly Everything" lined up.

I love his writing. "Down Under" has to be one of his funniest books...theres a scene in it when he's collected at the airport by a friend who decide to give him a quick tour straight after the flight. As he's jetlagged to hell he falls asleep. When he wakes up his description of the look on the families faces (due to the farting, drooling and other bodily functions you have no control over when asleep) is hilarious.

Liadain said:
I prefer books with more words

Sounds suspiciously like a shot. Yeah, I too can handle the odd big word but them picksher bukes can sure be handy when you have an exam on Foucaults Panopticon and yve never read a word by the man.
American Psycho = Lists of Clothes, Lists of Hair Products, Lists of Shoes, Lists of Face Creams.
So incredibly infuraiting/Boring.

Dixer said:
Sounds suspiciously like a shot. Yeah, I too can handle the odd big word but them picksher bukes can sure be handy when you have an exam on Foucaults Panopticon and yve never read a word by the man.
Och I'm not slagging them at all, if they covered any of my college subjects I'd buy the lot! I just really like words is all.

Liadain said:
Och I'm not slagging them at all, if they covered any of my college subjects I'd buy the lot! I just really like words is all.

Here I'm only Slaggin' (Grabs Liadain in a headlock and rubs knuckles across hair in extreme passive/agressive manner. Stops when bleeding starts).

just finished reading Bob Geldofs autobiography, which is a great read aside from the fact that I had "do they know its christmas" in my head for fucking days .

am going to read Das Boot next .

P. Littbarski said:
and "The Star of the Sea" by Joseph O'Connor which was a mighty fine read. I'd recommend this to anyone who's looking for a decent book at the moment.
This is a great book. He's really under-rated as a writer which may actually be partly his own fault, what with writing shite books about the secret life of the irish male and nonsense about all the towns called dublin there are in the states. This may have been more to do with contractual obligations though. I hope. I re-read Desperados recently as well and it still stands up as a really good book. Must dig out cowboys and indians too. And inishowen is fantastic as well.

spiritualtramp said:
is that any good ?
Yeah it is. It's more about Tower Hamlets than Brick Lane though, but I do love an old tale about the cultural clashes experienced by Indians / Bagladeshis/ Pakistanis in Engerland so I do. You can tell she has some particular bug-bears with regard to how the English see the immigrants and why they see them the way they do, which she voices through one of her main characters in quite a repetitive manner, but overall it's a really good, quick read.

kirstie said:
Yeah it is. It's more about Tower Hamlets than Brick Lane though, but I do love an old tale about the cultural clashes experienced by Indians / Bagladeshis/ Pakistanis in Engerland so I do. You can tell she has some particular bug-bears with regard to how the English see the immigrants and why they see them the way they do, which she voices through one of her main characters in quite a repetitive manner, but overall it's a really good, quick read.

I just finished Lord of Light by Roger Zelazney. Too bad none of you have ever heard of it.

Liadain said:
I'd read 'Less Than Zero' by Brett Easton Ellis before and quite liked it... then I picked up the DVD of 'American Psycho' for a tenner in HMV the other day, and then I saw the book for four quid in Hodges Figgis' sale, and I was like 'fuck it, if I'm going to see the film I might as well read the book'. It's a bit of a pain in the hole though.
American Psycho would be one of my favourite books ever
film is disappointing though

spiritualtramp said:
just finished reading Bob Geldofs autobiography, which is a great read aside from the fact that I had "do they know its christmas" in my head for fucking days .

that book is fuckin class!!! the chapter about him losing his virginity is so bizarre, i read it when i was about 13 and was confused for years...

I love american psycho.

I just finished reading "Catch As Catch Can" BY Heller and am now re-reading "Factotum" by Bukowski. good shit.

Just finished Streetcar, had seen the flim but not read/seen the play...good stuff so 'tis, but 'tis not Shakespeare neither...just a tad too melodramatic for me taste, which of course differentiates it from the bard...going starting on that bloody Angela Landsbury Carter yolk now...sigh...the commitments...

Also wading thro me Baudelaire poems, pretentious'd OUT of it...man I can feel my vocabulaire swell by the day...I now know what "je suis" means...result!

P. Littbarski said:
"The Star of the Sea" by Joseph O'Connor which was a mighty fine read. I'd recommend this to anyone who's looking for a decent book at the moment.
I didn't think that was very good. An airport novel with literary pretensions, mutton dressed up as lamb. The bizarre coincidences were too much for me, and the silly discussions between characters about The Plight Of The Peasant. Also the Charles Dickens cameos were just fucking dumb.
Some nice writing, some morsels of goodness but no insight, no vision. Joe O'Connor has a long way to go before he's the writer he wants to be. His essay about how the Boomtown Rats saved his life, and his short story about the girl marrying the alien, are still the only genuinely good works of his that I've read

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back