currently reading? v2.0 (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Magee said:
I can't remember it that well now...and I only read it last year...as far as I remember, I thought it was good, but not that good. But I can't really remember in any more detail. Shocking.

Oh, wait...I remember I didn't like the discussions about the state of Russia...like too much information...
You like your big Russian books don't you - have you read The Brothers Karamazov? If so, is it any good?

Jimmy Magee said:
I can't remember it that well now...and I only read it last year...as far as I remember, I thought it was good, but not that good.
Are you sure you didn't just read the blurb on the back?

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
You like your big Russian books don't you - have you read The Brothers Karamazov? If so, is it any good?
Yeah, the first 400 or so pages are...but I found the end a bit disappointing. But don't trust me! Although I would recommend Crime and Punishment instead.

Edit: Here's me quick comparison of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky - the latter more psychological, darker, more knarled, not as optimistic as the former...because even the bad things that happen in Tolstoy (with which you're familiar) come across as all part of the richness of life (in the way they do in Shakespeare, say), but there's no such comfort zone in the other. Something like that. They're both good in their own way I guess.

Jimmy Magee said:
Yeah, the first 400 or so pages are...but I found the end a bit disappointing. But don't trust me! Although I would recommend Crime and Punishment instead.

Edit: Here's me quick comparison of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky - the latter more psychological, darker, more knarled, not as optimistic as the former...because even the bad things that happen in Tolstoy (with which you're familiar) come across as all part of the richness of life (in the way they do in Shakespeare, say), but there's no such comfort zone in the other. Something like that. They're both good in their own way I guess.
I might try some Dostoyevsky at some stage. Tolstoy has his dark moments - try readin 'Confession', which is autobiographical and written a few years after Anna K.

Jimmy Magee said:
Started Girl With a Pearl Earring, taking a while to get going, I'm a bit afraid it's going (no-one spoil it for me!) to just turn into a mushy romance that paints (sorry) Vermeer as a hunkus maximus, when of course he's as probably unlikeable and complicated as any other genius. But maybe I do it a disservice in advance. If nothing else it's got a nice cover anyway.
Well, I don't wanna give anything away, and so not say whether this was the case or not, but it's better than that anyway (which doesn't necessarily mean it's not the case either mind - it could just have been subtly done or whatsever). Not a masterpiece by any means, but diverting anyway, 'd be me analysis. And makes one appreciate the drawing more, which is a good thing.

I'm off sick this week (and was last week too), so i hope to finish Pride and Prejudice. Not sure what to read after that. I go on Holidays in sept and have 'You shall know our velocity' by dave eggers and 'Vernon God Little' by yer man to read while I'm away, so I'm looking for something short, but brilliant (200 pages or under). Any suggestions? I was thinking of rereading some of the shorter steinbecks (Tortilla Flat maybe) but I wouldn't mind reading something a little older.

Incidentally, has anyone read The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne? It's always in the classics section and Moby Dick is dedicated to him, so i though it might be worth a go.

Cheers for that, but I don't think I'd be able to read crime and punishment offa PC - thanks anyway.

Just watched Elephant. God it was shit.

Saw City of God last week, which was pretty damn good (as it was subtitled I think it qualifies under 'currently reading').

I love my sick-note violence me.

Currently Reading the 'Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingslover, pretty good. I didnt think it'd be my cup of tea, but Im quite enjoying it. Just Started reading 'from Hell' too, which is a graphic novel about Jack the ripper. Havent gotten far in it yet tho.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I was thinking of rereading some of the shorter steinbecks (Tortilla Flat maybe) but I wouldn't mind reading something a little older ... incidentally, has anyone read The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne?
Presumably you've read Cannery Row? If not, I recommend you go for that, and/or Sweet Thursday (the sequel) which doesn't have near the amount of literary merit but is nevertheless a rattling good old yarn.
I read The Scarlet Letter about 10 years ago, round the same time I read Anna Karenina funny enough (I remember John-out-of-Stoat slagging me off cos I showed up to some gig in the Rock Garden with it sticking out of my pocket ... not that's he's averse to highbrow shit himself, he just though it was pretty un-rock'n'roll) ... anyway, I don't remember liking it very much, the Scarlet Letter that is. The idea of the story is a lot better than the execution (like Moby Dick, maybe that's why Melville dedicated it to NH)

Fav recent book for me - Treasure Island. Last read it when I was 11 or 12, enjoyed it just as much this time around

egg_ said:
Presumably you've read Cannery Row? If not, I recommend you go for that, and/or Sweet Thursday (the sequel) which doesn't have near the amount of literary merit but is nevertheless a rattling good old yarn.
I've read cannery row and reckon I'll try sweet thursday at some stage. I was a little put off that it was written so long after cannery row, but what the hey.

Just finished "But Beautiful" by Geoff Dyer. It's brilliant and beautifully written- best thing I've read all year. It's eight connected stories based on the lives of Chet Baker, Charlie Mingus and the like.

Makes you want to take up the horn, gobble up every pill you can find, get clobbered by redneck cops and spend the last twenty years of your life hopping off the walls in San Quentin or Bellevue. Or buy lots of jazzy albums upstairs in Tower.

There's a documentary video about Chet Baker (I forget what it's called) in Laser video shop in Georges St - worth a look. Flea from RHCP is in it as a hyperactive hanger-on.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
There's a documentary video about Chet Baker (I forget what it's called) in Laser video shop in Georges St - worth a look. Flea from RHCP is in it as a hyperactive hanger-on.
Heard of it, but haven't seen it. Think it's called Let's Get Lost, like in the dEUS song. I'll go check it out now, defo.

Dostoyevsky but no mention of Notes From the Underground? For shame, readers, for shame.
Personally leafing my merry way through that Monbiot: Age of Consent, PKD, A Scanner Darkly and .... something.... I cant remember.... Obviously havent read it in a week or so..... (Hate when this happens).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back