currently reading? v2.0 (2 Viewers)

dudley said:
i just finished the jim dodge book, erm, the one about the big boppers car, and that was great. tore through it, though the ending was a cop out.
Not Fade Away?
Meh, it was kinda boring and meandering. Apparently the 2 Lone Swordsmen got their name from it, for an Interesting Fact.

Super Dexta said:
That They May Face The Rising Sun was the one I was trying to read, it mysteriously materialized in my bedroom so I figured I'd have a go at it, in case the universe was trying to tell me something. I read Amongst Women for college last year and actually liked it a lot, but the sheer rural Irishness of it all got too much for TTMFTRS.
Ja, that's it. Not much happens, no real plot or storyline, it's purely a narrative tale of 2 peoples lives in ruraldddll ireland but I found it to be very soothing and a lovely read. The Tale of Lucy Gault by William Trevor is very much worth reading too, so unbelievably poignant and sad and made me cry about 40 million times, I had to stop reading it on the bus lest I disgrace myself.

Super Dexta said:
Read 'Girl With A Pearl Earring' recently - I didn't really want to, it was pressed on me by a relative, but it was actually pretty good.
Why didn't you join in when I was reading it? For fecks sake...it woulda made me feel like less of a threadkiller

Jimmy Magee said:
Why didn't you join in when I was reading it?
I figured me looking over your shoulder the whole time would be something of a distraction. It's the kind of book you have to focus on, y'know?

"What are you doing?! Don't turn the page - I'm still on the second last paragraph!"

An awful pain in the hole it'd be.

kirstie said:
I'm reading boring books for work and You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers. Which is ok, in that whole 'I can't handle my mid 20's life' way, but nowhere near as well done as Douglas Coupland does it.

I just started this last night and am bringing it on holidays.

Not strictly true, they got the title for the new album from it, 'The double gone chapel'.

I'm currently reading this book, I might finish it at some point this year. I'm enjoying it, I'm just rubbish at the reading.

kirstie said:
Not Fade Away?
Meh, it was kinda boring and meandering. Apparently the 2 Lone Swordsmen got their name from it, for an Interesting Fact.

Robbie Analog said:
Not strictly true, they got the title for the new album from it, 'The double gone chapel'.

I'm currently reading this book, I might finish it at some point this year. I'm enjoying it, I'm just rubbish at the reading.
Oh, well you told me that, so I was quoting your incorrect info
sniff.

IFF said:
i've started reading

100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The naked politican by Katie Hannon
Those who trespass by Bill O'reilly
ive said it before on this thread i think, but marquez is really excellent, and that buke is stunning. he has a deadly collection of short stories too, very differently written to most of his novels though.

kirstie said:
I really like him. The most recent one, that they may face the rising sun, is a lovely buke. Amongst women is fantastic too.
have never read amongst women, buh i thought that they may face... was amazing. its all based on real people from this place fenagh in leitreim, that philandering chap, the ira guy etc. i only figured out months afterwards that mcgahern is the narrator. silly me

reading a yellowed copy of graham greene's the power and the glory that i found under ther stairs. velly strange book, bout the persecution of the church in south america...good tho
i only figured out months after that mcgahern is the narrator

Bear V Shark
don't quite know what to make of it. i'm sure it's meant to be a biting indictment of american way of life/pop culture, but it seems to be trying a little too hard to be Chuck Palaniuk
it's good enough for the morning bus ride in anyway.

i picked up the da vinci code the other day, first blockbuster style novel i've read in years and i'm thoroughly gripped. read over 250 pages last night before bed and am knackered today.
i find myself running to the internet every few seconds and checking out all the claims online.
i read the bit about 'the last supper', checked the picture and my jaw dropped....

i think it'll be 'raise the titanic' next...

mmyeah, i read Digital Fortress, wasn't too gone on it, seemed like it was written for a movie plot. Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon is waaa-hey better, and bigger too.

is Da Vinci Code really all that good? if tis, may have to have a book-buying day today.

I finally finished 'the blind watchmaker' this morning. now i'm not going to read anything for at least two days.

any of the buke club people tell me anything interesting about angela carter 'wise children'? it's on one of my courses this year. gender and postmodernism, or something equally lah-di-dah.

lmd64 said:
is Da Vinci Code really all that good? if tis, may have to have a book-buying day today.
i'm thoroughly enjoying it. it does appear to have been written with the movie adaptation in mind, but i think it would actually make a fairly dull movie...

dudley said:
i'm thoroughly enjoying it. it does appear to have been written with the movie adaptation in mind, but i think it would actually make a fairly dull movie...
i just felt he was trying to fit his novels into the "conspiracy theory" genre of movies, providing the moviegoers with an alternative to the "courtroom drama" movies of john grisham's novels.

i'll try and pick it up second hand somewhere, i reckons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back