currently reading? v2.0 (1 Viewer)

i'm reading virginia woolf, cos i'm, y'know, a womyn.. well, it's actually for college, but it's good too. also reading some buke about lateralisation called 'left hand, right hand'... good bedtime reading. fancy pictures of weird lateralisation disorders, etc.

Am reading some Ernest Hemingway short stories - purdy good so far.

Just finished Vernon God Little. An amazing book - tender, sad, beautiful. Except for the last 5 pages.

Muscle Beach said:
New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. three short stories. just finished the first and i think it's my new favourite book.

Thats a truly brilliant book.
The others stories are just as good

Of his other books, both Moon Palace and Music of Chance are also fantastic. And Timbuktu is magical

Just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell meself.

Not quite as endearing as Number9Dream or as beautiful as Ghostwritten but still really good stuff all the same. A wee bit frustrating at times (opening story in particular) but well worth the long haul (its kind of huge)

just found a book i robbed from jill bout 5 years ago, it's only deadly if anyone's looking for good short stories - it's a salinger book called "for esme with love and squalor and other stories". anyone know it? i always skip to the one at the end bout the supernatural kid....

eoinbox said:
just found a book i robbed from jill bout 5 years ago, it's only deadly if anyone's looking for good short stories - it's a salinger book called "for esme with love and squalor and other stories". anyone know it?

yeah, I got me username from it.

Jimcorr said:

Of his other books, both Moon Palace and Music of Chance are also fantastic. And Timbuktu is magical

Just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell meself.

Not quite as endearing as Number9Dream or as beautiful as Ghostwritten but still really good stuff all the same. A wee bit frustrating at times (opening story in particular) but well worth the long haul (its kind of huge)
the booker prize was televised last night (WTF?), and they had him reading an excerpt and they interviewed his publisher.

when's it gonna be on paperback? it's too feckin big to be carrying around in a clutchpurse, so it is.

lmd64 said:
the booker prize was televised last night (WTF?), and they had him reading an excerpt and they interviewed his publisher.

when's it gonna be on paperback? it's too feckin big to be carrying around in a clutchpurse, so it is.

Theres a really nice edition (possibly American) in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street, paperback with nice old looking, almost tattered style pages. Much nicer than the hardback which is actually a real turn off. Also easier to read in bed and such places..

Its got over 400 pages though so no matter what it'll be a bit of a squeeze...

Jimcorr said:
Theres a really nice edition (possibly American) in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street, paperback with nice old looking, almost tattered style pages. Much nicer than the hardback which is actually a real turn off. Also easier to read in bed and such places..

Its got over 400 pages though so no matter what it'll be a bit of a squeeze...
going shopping for that today, then. mmmm, tattered pages.

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk - Very enjoyable, if maybe a tad predicatble.

The greatest footballer you never saw - All about Robin Friday, the bloke who SFA wrote 'The man don't give a fuck' about. Great read if you like football.

Jimcorr said:

just finished the second story, you're right! imma check out those other books

Currently reading:
Lucy Grealy's 'Autobiography of a Face' (very sad but without being sentimental slush)
The Flood by David Maine (only just started it but it's the story of Noah) and is up for the Guardian's first book award I believe

Just finished:
Yann Martel's ' The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios' - short novellas written pre-Life of Pi which are interesting for their experimenatalism, but quite irritating and forgettable.
John Connelly's new book Nocturnes. He usually writes crime but this is horror/ghost short stories. Quite enjoyable in a pre-Halloween kinda way.

Anyone read anything off the Booker shortlist? In The Line of Beauty and The Electric Michaelangelo are the two I'd most like to read...

Currently reading a buke called BuddhaDa, about a workin class glasgae type who turns to buddism. Written in Irvine Welsh vernacular, pretty readable so far.

Just finished The Fountainhead, which was fantastic in an 'I'm interested in architecture but actually people don't behave like that really' way. Oh yes. Before that I read some Dan Brown bullshit which was allowed as I was on my holidays.

Jimcorr said:

I would second all those, Auster is fantastic. Had to read Leviathan as picked by one of the bibliofemmes and I was very disappointed, it's not his best book by a long shot.
The Red Notebook, his collections of snippets, essays, musings etc on why he writes and the part of fate/coincidence in his writing is really interesting. You can just dip in and out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back