currently reading? v2.0 (1 Viewer)

Two questions for ye book people:

Anyone read "The Fortress of Solitude" by Jonathan Lethem, I need to find someone who shares my apprecition of it.

Anyone read the new Douglas Coupland novel; Eleanor Rigby.
I'm just about to start it, reading "fast food nation" at the moment.

i read da vinci code first. it's good.
digital fortress is one of the worst books i've ever read. soooo f crap.
put me off Dan Brown.

lmd64 said:
mmyeah, i read Digital Fortress, wasn't too gone on it, seemed like it was written for a movie plot. Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon is waaa-hey better, and bigger too.

is Da Vinci Code really all that good? if tis, may have to have a book-buying day today.

currently reading 'a brief history of time' by
AABF18StephenHawking.jpg

and just finished reading
n24195.jpg

gotta love those pagans..

lmd64 said:
currently reading Breakfast of Champions, by Kurt Vonnegut, and getting embarrased on the bus by the big and obvious pictures of a [large rodent] beaver and a [legs wide open] beaver
That book's excellent. Kilgour Trout rules! Have you read any other Vonnegut?

Currently reading Reefer Madness which is certainly an eye-opener. A fella in the US gets a life sentence for possession of 0.016 grams of hash. :eek:

Just read The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (thanks, Juno!) which is a deadly read. Simliar fire and ice cop routine as L.A. Confidential (though I've only seen the film). Anybody got any other Ellroy recommendations?

Catwoman said:
That book's excellent. Kilgour Trout rules! Have you read any other Vonnegut?

slaughterhouse 5, and timequake, and i have deadeye dick somewhere at (parents') home, gotta root that one out.

his stuff is quirky and poignant, both depressing and hilarious at the same time. very anti-war, in a far more interesting way than michael moore, less stats, more 'pointing out the ridiculousness of it all'.

lmd64 said:
slaughterhouse 5, and timequake, and i have deadeye dick somewhere at (parents') home, gotta root that one out.

his stuff is quirky and poignant, both depressing and hilarious at the same time. very anti-war, in a far more interesting way than michael moore, less stats, more 'pointing out the ridiculousness of it all'.

Yeah, that's true. If you get a chance, read Fates Worse Than Death, a collection of essays. His non-fiction stuff is really good to, again, it stresses the absurdity of war. It was written in the 80s but is still relevant today.

Juno said:
American Tabloid!

(I may have said this to you already but the wine...eet makes me forget...)
hahaha, you did, yes. Did I ask if you had it and could I borrow it?! :confused:

Can I join in the Vonnegut self-wetting? Just finished Slaughterhouse Five, tis marvellous, although I was expecting it to be more in the Catch-22 vein and not so utterly demented...but tis very funny nonetheless. I'm now reading The Life of Pi...it's a bit gay. But it's okay. I mean it's very good, I have to say so cos me flatmate got it for me and he's now reading this

Been reading

Hegemony or Survival - Noam Chomsky

Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Collected Short Stories - Franz Kafka

... and a terribly boring Land Law book:(

Jimmy Magee said:
Can I join in the Vonnegut self-wetting? Just finished Slaughterhouse Five, tis marvellous, although I was expecting it to be more in the Catch-22 vein and not so utterly demented...but tis very funny nonetheless. I'm now reading The Life of Pi...it's a bit gay. But it's okay. I mean it's very good, I have to say so cos me flatmate got it for me and he's now reading this
funny? i like this book, but she make me cry, alsmost.
now read Deadeye Dick, his take on gunlaws and stuff.

and also just finished Da Vinci Code, better than digital fortress by a mile. pretty predictable, buh, still a page turner though.

so far this week I read the new Adrian Mole book - Adrian Mole and the weapons of mass destruction. it is ok, not as good as the early ones but still amusing enough.

I am now reading house of sand and fog which (so far) I think is totally fantastic. tis quite the page turner.

Currently readin Franny and Zooey be Salinger...I'd only read Catcher before, seems to be similar territory...which is fine be me, I'm still stuck at a mental age of about 15...

i read the angels and demons book by dan brown on me holidays.
officialy has the worst ending line to a book ever.
stomach churningingly bad. bah.

currently reading the bookseller of kabul, seems good, recommended by richard and judy too which is no bad thing.

John Pilger. THe new rulers of the world.

I was a bit late reading this first published 2002. But It's never been more topical..the bit where he says " It is more than likely that the us will invade iraq again.." sent a chill up my spine.If only it were fairy tale....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back