Burial (1 Viewer)

Yeah - boxcutter has made 2 really consistent albums.
Kinda electronica/dubstep crossover but really good.

dubstep innit?

pinch
kode9
vex'd
dygital mystikz
boxcutter
skream
shakleton
appleblim

etc

dunno if burial is quite the same,
it's nothing like skream or dm...
probably closer to appleblim and shackleton's skull disco stuff
definitely pinch
pole too

yeah. i guess there's no heavy reggae/dub vibe off Burial, like Skream and DM have.

Burial's records sound more like murky, grubby 2-step to my ears.

I think Untrue is fantastic. It's all about the atmosphere. I listen to it every night in headphones under a big parka hood walking home from college. It works best in the dark, in the rain, on your own. It's all about the way the scratching vinyl effects sound like rain. The tracks are open for your imagination to have fun with.

I can see how people would have a problem with it. It gets thrown in with everything "dubstep" - which can be misleading. Burial's music is it's own thing, it's subtle and ambient. It doesn't help the way people like Mary-Anne Hobbes go moist for it, it's important sometimes to keep your feet on the ground when you're recommending music to somebody - even when it's your obsession.

Mary-Anne Hobb Nobbs going moist

mmmm....
dunk.jpg

i find boxcutter quite boring live so i does.

Neilo and I saw him in Belfast a few weeks ago. It was...interesting. The first half of the set was him and a mate providing live sax and bass over laptop beats. It didn't work very often -- I think it was Neilo who suggested this might have been the first time they'd tried this live -- but boring it wasn't. (The second all-laptop half was less enthralling visually, but musically better.)

To get back on topic, I found Burial's first album deadly dull on first listen, and every time I've gone back to it, it's gotten worse. He's just not my thing, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back