BREXIT (22 Viewers)

The side of sensibleness??
Non-Trump, non-Brexit

It's only the idea that I'd rather we have some kind of union over more literal war that keeps me thinking maybe Brexit isn't a good idea.
Really? As far as I can see the EU was behind every piece of environmental protection legislation passed in Ireland since I was a kid. Wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for labour law

Non-Trump, non-Brexit
Just symptoms of the problem imho. Getting rid of Trump and cancelling Brexit won't fix things.

Really? As far as I can see the EU was behind every piece of environmental protection legislation passed in Ireland since I was a kid. Wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for labour law

and the fact that they constantly called us out on our shitty abortion laws

Meanwhile they're supporting the latest meddling attack on Venezuela

I'm so ambivalent about the EU I depress meself : (

I'm getting an ominous feeling about all this.

Japanese Ambassador to the UK just on the R4 News there because of the Honda plant closing in Swindon which they say is completely unrelated to Brexit and the fact that there is a new deal in place with the EU for tarrif free Auto trading has nothing whatsoever to do with it

I wonder in the forthcoming months..who will all the people who lose there jobs blame?

The EU? ..It'll hardly be all the foreign nationals taking their jobs as the jobs might not be even there to take.

Its a shitshow. An early 80's style shitshow. Only a matter of time before theres lads in Donkey Jackets getting their heads split open by the police on the 6 o'clock news

maybe Yosser Hughes is in for a comeback!

Will it be one of those strange situations where there will be no hard border in northern Ireland because no one bar the DUP will be willing to implement it, everyone will ignore them, and life will go on? I have no idea how that will work but it makes as much sense as anything else right now.

Will it be one of those strange situations where there will be no hard border in northern Ireland because no one bar the DUP will be willing to implement it, everyone will ignore them, and life will go on? I have no idea how that will work but it makes as much sense as anything else right now.
REALLY hope so. No escaping a recession though. Strap in!

And there'd be free movement of people and goods without customs or immigration checks between the UK and EU via the north?

That'd be a pretty bizarre situation
They'll just implement them at ports (air and sea), not roads.

Obviously i'm making this up as I go along but so is everyone else.

It's far too late to actually build the infrastructure for a hard border. Farmland which straddles the border will need to purchased by either the UK or Irish government. The border checkpoints etc. will also need to be constructed. It would take at least five years - more like ten or fifteen - for border infrastructure to be created.

A new Boundary Commission may need to be put in place - simply because decisions around where the border is will need to be sorted out.
The big difference is that unlike the original Boundary Commission, where Britain was the economic powerhouse and Ireland was a poor country having a civil war, the tables will be turned.

It's also worth considering it's highly likely there will be a nationalist majority in Northern Ireland in the next ten years.

I reckon there will be a general election in the UK and the DUP will find themselves out of favour in Westminster. The makeup of the UK parliament will be totally unlike what's it has been, but I think it's reasonable to assume that English voters won't have any problem with Northern Ireland remaining in the EU (as in cutting it from the UK; or the UK staying, in some shape or form, in the EU).

The North of Ireland will be a mess for the next five years, but I think what's going to emerge is a united Ireland.

They'll just implement them at ports (air and sea), not roads.
Wow, so an effective border in the Irish Sea. Ay, that seems most the likely. It's a pretty amazing irony that it looks like the DUP might inadvertently be bringing about a united Ireland. Not that I'd vote for one - too risky for us, and they'd be fucking mad to vote themselves out of the NHS

Users who are viewing this thread

• David Kronenbourg
  • M
  • dudley
  • JohnnyRaz
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back