bands who got record deals and were never heard from again (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 354
  • Views 32K
  • Watchers 15
By 'done alright' - I mean, got to tour, play some festivals, act the rockstar.

Yeah true, but you never really see like a Blur or Radiohead type thing of a band with a long career who develop their sound in differet ways... maybe Ash or Divine Comedy... um...

whatever I'm just posting cause I don't want to work

you'll probably find it's all relative

deep

o'boyler - serious question, decal has been knocking around for a million years gets great press and put shit out on good sized indie labels, but ultimately makes stupid music - anyone bigger ever come within 100 miles of sniffin at you(s)?

No.
With electronic music and releasing on a 'good sized indie label' you're lucky if you sell 1000 records of any release. This means that no-one makes any money (the label breaks even) - despite good press etc. If the act then aren't arsed doing loads of gigs (which we weren't and I amn't) or going trance and bringing in vocalists, it's not exactly an attractive prospect for 'anyone bigger'.

Considering that the lifespan of an average band is about 2 albums (at best), I'd say that a fair few Irish bands have done alright:
Therapy?
Power of Dreams
Sultans
Frank & Walters
The Thrills
Cranberries
Frames
Kerbdog
etc... (there are loads of them)

By 'done alright' - I mean, got to tour, play some festivals, act the rockstar.

Ash could be added to that list.

Anyone remember Emperor of Ice Cream?

No.
With electronic music and releasing on a 'good sized indie label' you're lucky if you sell 1000 records of any release. This means that no-one makes any money (the label breaks even) - despite good press etc. If the act then aren't arsed doing loads of gigs (which we weren't and I amn't) or going trance and bringing in vocalists, it's not exactly an attractive prospect for 'anyone bigger'.

did you think that having lacey dance around in cycling shorts would have something of a keith flint effect?

Here, what happened to compulsion? I wore out two copies of "the future is medium" on vinyl, then they seemed to disappear all of a sudden.

They were decent, I really liked comforter.

One of them's now Jacknife Lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back