bands who got record deals and were never heard from again (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 354
  • Views 31K
  • Watchers 15
By 'done alright' - I mean, got to tour, play some festivals, act the rockstar.

Yeah true, but you never really see like a Blur or Radiohead type thing of a band with a long career who develop their sound in differet ways... maybe Ash or Divine Comedy... um...

whatever I'm just posting cause I don't want to work

you'll probably find it's all relative

deep

o'boyler - serious question, decal has been knocking around for a million years gets great press and put shit out on good sized indie labels, but ultimately makes stupid music - anyone bigger ever come within 100 miles of sniffin at you(s)?

No.
With electronic music and releasing on a 'good sized indie label' you're lucky if you sell 1000 records of any release. This means that no-one makes any money (the label breaks even) - despite good press etc. If the act then aren't arsed doing loads of gigs (which we weren't and I amn't) or going trance and bringing in vocalists, it's not exactly an attractive prospect for 'anyone bigger'.

Considering that the lifespan of an average band is about 2 albums (at best), I'd say that a fair few Irish bands have done alright:
Therapy?
Power of Dreams
Sultans
Frank & Walters
The Thrills
Cranberries
Frames
Kerbdog
etc... (there are loads of them)

By 'done alright' - I mean, got to tour, play some festivals, act the rockstar.

Ash could be added to that list.

Anyone remember Emperor of Ice Cream?

No.
With electronic music and releasing on a 'good sized indie label' you're lucky if you sell 1000 records of any release. This means that no-one makes any money (the label breaks even) - despite good press etc. If the act then aren't arsed doing loads of gigs (which we weren't and I amn't) or going trance and bringing in vocalists, it's not exactly an attractive prospect for 'anyone bigger'.

did you think that having lacey dance around in cycling shorts would have something of a keith flint effect?

Here, what happened to compulsion? I wore out two copies of "the future is medium" on vinyl, then they seemed to disappear all of a sudden.

They were decent, I really liked comforter.

One of them's now Jacknife Lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back