Bands pissing off their audience with just their music (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
I've just been reading this piece about Low and then there was the reaction some people had to Neil Young the other night - have you ever gone to see a band and been pissed off enough by what they chose to play to boo or yell at them or demand your money back?

I haven't, although when I went to see Todd Rundgren a few years ago he opened with about 45 minutes of gammy robert johnson covers and there was a lot of booing. One lad beside me stood up and started shaking his fist at the stage yelling "RUBBISH!" which was fairly spot-on in fairness. I thought it was rude though, other people may have been enjoying it.

I saw US Maple open for Pavement and the crowd didn't like it at all, they were very hostile, they were all hipsters though so it wasn't too threatening and the band seemed to thrive on it. I thought US maple were great myself.

Another time I was playing with a band and someone came up and started yelling at us to stop playing (so we carried on longer than we had planned)

I think this whole scene peaked for me seeing kris kristofferson live, and someone shouted up "when did you last shave" in a completely unfunny tone. There were a few awkward seconds and kris blew it off and concentrated on the rest of the audience.

Thats my anecdote.

Anyways, it made me realize that for a lot of people, paying for something, especially entertainment, is paying for the right to give out about it.

AA Gill has made a career out of saying restaurants are shit, and his readers will go to those restaurants just for the anecdote.

I had this conversation with someone on sunday who knows nothing about neil young and loved the gig because it was just a good jam and good experience sonically. then the 'fans' who have obviously financially invested enough over the years thought it was shit because it didn't follow the synaptical path of purchase justification, or retail therapy.

fucking humans.

US Maple is the only band where I brought their cd, listened, and returned to the shop to sell it back all in one day. True Story.

I can't remember ever giving out about an artist, I only complain about the audience.

Anyone who goes to a gig and who complains about it beyond "I didn't think it was good" can fuck right off. The whole value for money argument is such bullshit, you're paying to go and see the band/performer do their thing, you don't get to dictate what they play or how they play it, by paying whatever the cost of the ticket was you're already conceding that you think it's worth paying that amount to see that band.

I like Leonard Cohen, but I don't €90 like him so I've never gone to see him, though having heard reports of the gigs, and the live album from a couple of years ago I'm fairly sure I would enjoy it a great deal. On the other hand I €130 like Tom Waits so I paid that much to see him, it was dear but I was willing to pay that to go.

I don't much like the new Low record so I was considering not going to their gig in August, reading that story has sort of changed my mind. It was live on the radio too. Fair fucks to them.

I saw Chris Cornell in the Olympia a year or two ago. I've never been mad into Soundgarden or his solo stuff but I've a friend who is a huge fan so I went along. It was a good show but the absolute venom he received when he played stuff off that Scream album was shocking. "NONE OF THAT TIMBALAND HIP HOP SHITE" shouted directly at him. He handled it very well (I assume he just looked in the mirror and cheered up) and continued with the show but he had every right to leave right away with everyone's cash in a big bag, flipping off the crowd.

Anyway he ended the show with a brilliant cover of a Day in the Life where he did some fairly cool guitar looping and recreated the big crash at the end of the song in a great way. Fantastic end to the gig.

Until he came back on for a final encore and played Imagine and it was awful and jesus what a shit gig. Who the fuck covers Imagine?

Encores are retarded.Just play the set you practiced ffs!

I opened for US Maple one time stateside.I thought they were decent.
More hype than they deserved though

I didn't realise they were hyped at all, never heard of them before they came on stage, it even took me about a year to find out what they were called. They had no bass live, I thought the albums would be better without bass.

Ahh there was a fair bit.Although I think it was fan generated for the most part

I remember when Mogwai played a live show which was being broadcast by The Evening Session on BBC Radio 1. They deliberately played incredibly quietly for the whole thing, much to Steve Lamacq's (and the crowd's, I imagine) chagrin.

That's the only time I've experienced this phenomenon.

I remember when Mogwai played a live show which was being broadcast by The Evening Session on BBC Radio 1. They deliberately played incredibly quietly for the whole thing, much to Steve Lamacq's (and the crowd's, I imagine) chagrin.

That's the only time I've experienced this phenomenon.

They were just being pricks, were they?

US Maple is the only band where I brought their cd, listened, and returned to the shop to sell it back all in one day. True Story.

I can't remember ever giving out about an artist, I only complain about the audience.

Not that it's the same thing but British Sea Power is the only band whose CD I have yanked out of the CD player and fucked across the room in disgust.

First record.

They were just being pricks, were they?

Yeah. I possibly have it on tape somewhere but I remember listening to it and smiling, though I was but a callow youth I appreciated the high jinks involved in a band that have a rep for being very loud a lot playing at a barely audible volume live on the radio for a half hour. They feuded with Lamacq for a while then before deciding he was an alright sort at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back