Bands pissing off their audience with just their music (1 Viewer)

I have nothing to add to this thread because I've never really been too pissed off by anyone. There are gigs you don't enjoy for whatever reason, but mostly you kind of see it coming.

The solution though. I have a mate who went to a Proclaimers gig a couple of years back. He knew 2 songs by them before he went. They were the first 2 songs they played on the night. Then he left.

So, play the 'hits' first. Get them out of the way. Then the saps can fuck off and the people who really want to enjoy the music can stick around.

I like the "play the hits first" idea and it also ties in with the 'encores' poll.

A guy in work was giving out about the Neil Young gig, knowingly listing off the three big hits; Rockin in the Free World, Harvest Moon and The Needle and the damage done...I had to remind him that Neil had been pretty busy with the old song writing long before he recorded any of those songs

I was at Radiohead in Malahide a few years ago. When they started "15 Steps" some bloke next to me, too drunk, wearing a two tone wool wrist band to denote the sorry drumlin on which he was reared, screamed "play something we know." This is one of a million examples i have. I figure that's it's not the bands who are the problem, but the fuckwits they let into the gigs.

There's also been some famously awful gigs, like the Cat Power one in Whelan's where she was tired an emotional. One dines out on that story, rather than decrying the lack of professionalism on behalf of the performer. In fact the worse the gig, the more enjoyable it is.

There's also been some famously awful gigs, like the Cat Power one in Whelan's where she was tired an emotional. One dines out on that story, rather than decrying the lack of professionalism on behalf of the performer. In fact the worse the gig, the more enjoyable it is.

agreed. I was at a Shane McGowan gig where he only turned up about 3 songs into it. His band had to come on and play something to make it seem as everything was ok. Apparently he had popped out for a smoke and decided to go for a ramble and got lost. He was down the back of Christchurch there when a taxi driver spotted him, knew he was meant to be playing a gig, and dropped him back to the Olympia.

It was a terrible gig. I loved every minute of it.

agreed. I was at a Shane McGowan gig where he only turned up about 3 songs into it. His band had to come on and play something to make it seem as everything was ok. Apparently he had popped out for a smoke and decided to go for a ramble and got lost. He was down the back of Christchurch there when a taxi driver spotted him, knew he was meant to be playing a gig, and dropped him back to the Olympia.

It was a terrible gig. I loved every minute of it.

Like everyone here, i've seen hundreds, thousands possibly, of bands play. There's a handful that i remember because they were awesome, and a handful i remember because they were awful. Then there's a whole heap that i can't really remember for any particular reason. Moral of the story, don't be average. Gig isn't going well, collapse on the stage and pretend to be dead.

What happened at the Cat Power gig? People have alluded to it before but I've never heard specifics.

I was really glad I got to see Boris before Christmas. In one way it was kind of hellish but in another it was kind of amazing. On the one hand I was kind of pissed off that they were playing an hour long droney song (Flood) but it did sound kind of beautiful in a weird way and I was kind of glad I experienced it. You don't see it every day. Having said that I felt really sorry for the 2 lads I dragged to the gig with me. They fucking hated it

What happened at the Cat Power gig? People have alluded to it before but I've never heard specifics.
It was back when she was struggling with alcoholism. She would start songs and then go into a long, warbling hippy ramble. Then stop the song. Start another and the cycle continued. When people got upset that she was actually playing the songs let alone finishing them she started screaming at them. Then she broke down crying and started yelling for one of the guys from the support act. He came up on stage to handle the music and all she had to do was sing but the same thing started happening. People started leaving. Then she did a cover of I've Been Loving You Too Long while walking in between the crowd which was more than worth the admission price on it's own. After that she curled up in some girls arms and started balling again and the promoters pulled the gig. All of a sudden she was angry again and wanted to dance, goading the audience. Then she started getting off with some of the crowd. Some lads even started to form an orderly queue. Bonkers. It was never less than enthralling.

I saw Mark Mulcahy play a show in Whelans full-on turbo drunk.

It was one of my favourite gigs ever, a bit of a perfect storm of unfortunate events. I'd heard that he'd been wandering around town a little the worse for wear early on in the day, but when he arrived up in Whelans he looked like if someone lit a match near him he'd go up in flames.

He'd even collected a couple of professional drunks on his travels who stood at the front of the stage (one of them with one foot up on the stage, as if waiting to be beckoned on to perform) and shouted and hollered at him during all of his songs. He sweated his way through about an hour and then told the audience they could have their money back. Loved every minute of it.

Came back next year... no turbo and great set

Saw Leftover Crack in the Voodoo lounge a couple of years ago. Stza was really hammered and acting the fuck on stage for ages not really playing any music or the like. Then he asked someone in the crowd how much they paid for the ticket and when he heard he spent about 10 minutes apologising and telling the audience they'd been ripped off.

The Mark Mulcahy story kind of reminded me of this

US Maple is the only band where I brought their cd, listened, and returned to the shop to sell it back all in one day. True Story.

I can't remember ever giving out about an artist, I only complain about the audience.

The Mock Turtles second album was in Freebird's "used" section on the day of release. Somebody purchased it in the morning and brought it back around 5pm the same day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back