ATTN: promoters, gig goers, photographers...SERIOUS ISSUE with photography. (1 Viewer)

i've deleted those posts because this is something venues / promoters / bands need to address, not random vigilantes on interweb message boards
FS, what about real photographers who only come to the thread late!
I never thought I'd see the day were you edge towards that poxy boards type style of nazism, yes I'm banned from over there. :(
I only got as far as this post since Thumped was down for hours but up to this point I will say that.
I hate shooting in big venues and to me a big venue is The Village button factory, Eamon Dorans was ok, I obviously prefer small pubs cos no 1 minds or cares about Photographers cos they're all pissed and not arty farty types..er I mean Punks.
3 song rule I'd never agree with but from what I read I dunno why you guys didnt just throw pints over him...actually yas did!
I don't use backpacks cos I have a foreign face/big nose and I don't want to be confused for a terrorist, also I didn't know how to work my backpack.

I shall now continue to read the thread further...

in fairness, phtogrpahers have zoom lenses and punters have not, generally. just learn to use them and get the fuck out of the way of the rock.

there's a way more serious issue here actually. if there'd actually been a photographer there worth thier salt, they would have caught all this on camera ninja style without anyone noticing they'd even been at the gig. there wouldnt be a debate.

i still can't get over the fact that someone contacted the old bill over something that was posted on an internet message board. that's mental. wow

it happens a fair bit, on other boards, i think its why some forums that attract a really wide berth of society have to have serious moderation.

Someone didn't like something that was posted about them so they made a complaint down their local station. The cops rang me and I deleted it. Which I would have done anyway had they contacted me directly.

Hmm. Maybe if someone were to post something rude about someone in Jefferson Parish, you'd have a visit from STEVEN SEAGAL, LAWMAN.

FS, what about real photographers who only come to the thread late!
I never thought I'd see the day were you edge towards that poxy boards type style of nazism, yes I'm banned from over there. :(
I only got as far as this post since Thumped was down for hours but up to this point I will say that.
I hate shooting in big venues and to me a big venue is The Village button factory, Eamon Dorans was ok, I obviously prefer small pubs cos no 1 minds or cares about Photographers cos they're all pissed and not arty farty types..er I mean Punks.
3 song rule I'd never agree with but from what I read I dunno why you guys didnt just throw pints over him...actually yas did!
I don't use backpacks cos I have a foreign face/big nose and I don't want to be confused for a terrorist, also I didn't know how to work my backpack.

I shall now continue to read the thread further...

At Kidd Blunt's last ever gig in the Kilcoole Scout Hall, Janer stopped the entire gig by unplugging the power supply to the whole hall mid-song.

i still can't get over the fact that someone contacted the old bill over something that was posted on an internet message board. that's mental. wow

That's it, I've had enough, Pete will be hearing from the cops about you any minute now.

On another note, was it actually Pete that was the photographer at that gig?

pete4130

Adverts | Friends
I am the photographer in question and have had no internet apart from blackberry to respond. Of course everyone has there own side to this story and I have my own. I was accused on the night of punching someone which is totally untrue. I have my own version of events as does everyone else. I personally had a camera stolen from my pocket on the night and 2 pints poured over my back and one over my girlfriend. My girlfriend also has her version of what happened (and a bruised nose and forehead to prove it before she reciprocated.)

I will admit on the night tensions were running high with everyone. I've looked through the 120 odd shots I took over 45 mins and a total of maybe 13 are intrusive on the band (spanning maybe 8 seconds of that time, which is about 0.3% of the entire time I was shooting photos) as they were shot on continuous burst mode (which seemed to annoy some people).

I whole heartedly apologise for saying any offending words\comments to anyone or there partners and openly admit to it. It was a heat of the moment thing and was shameful and wrong on my behalf. I accept that.
I do have photos of the band dating back to 2004 and have in the past had the band store some of their kit in my house as well as having one of their support bands stay with me for a week several years ago.

Once I do have internet again I will post unedited jpegs with the edif data available of my images from the night for people to make their own decisions on whether my shots were overly intrusive for the crowd. I did have earplugs in (as most photogs would) and genuinely didn't hear being asked to stop shooting as it was causing trouble.
I know there was some naming and shaming going on with thumped.ie and I'm ok if people want to call me out on it. My images can be seen on flickr under my username of pete4130 and anyone can contact me directly. My photos and time stamps will show I was there to take photos. I. Made sure to get there early to get a position at the stage and only moved when I was asked outside by a doorman to explain what had happened. He looked at my timestamps for photos and allowed me back in happy I hadn't had hit anyone.
I'm sorry it's a crime to like a band, get there early, take some photos, get abused for it, have some randomer (apparantly from hot press) wade in and cause a seperate incident, throw 2 pints over people, punch someone in the face twice and not expect a reaction and play innocent to security. I know it isn't the right thing to do but it happens\happened.

Once I have internet back I will post all my unedited photos for people to make up their own minds.

One thing I did find ironic on thumped.ie was that below the thread was one of my gig photos promoting an Irish bands single on the same page I was being given so much abuse for. For me it says more about my past\history with local dublin bands than most people ranting.

There are 2 sides to each story, probably 3 or 4 to this one so it's not clear cut and never will be. Nobody is as innocent as they make out to be. Some people were being antagonistic towards others. I hold my hands up and openly admit to the part my actions played in the drama that not any one person was responsible for.

I've been taking gig shots for years and have NEVER received the hostility I did on NYE. It is swings and roundabouts. If I was asked rather than told I couldn't take photos I'm sure I would have responded differently. Things happened as they happened on the night and people should accept their own actions (I've already admitted and tried to apologise for my poor decisions) and can't be held accountable for things happening behind me when my eye is looking through my camera, which is as you know like tunnel vision at times.

If anyone has any concerns or anguish with me they can contact me directly @ [email protected] or they can choose to be an internet forum wizard and post back here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back