ATTN: promoters, gig goers, photographers...SERIOUS ISSUE with photography. (1 Viewer)

That's it, I've had enough, Pete will be hearing from the cops about you any minute now.

On another note, was it actually Pete that was the photographer at that gig?

pete4130

Adverts | Friends
I am the photographer in question and have had no internet apart from blackberry to respond. Of course everyone has there own side to this story and I have my own. I was accused on the night of punching someone which is totally untrue. I have my own version of events as does everyone else. I personally had a camera stolen from my pocket on the night and 2 pints poured over my back and one over my girlfriend. My girlfriend also has her version of what happened (and a bruised nose and forehead to prove it before she reciprocated.)

I will admit on the night tensions were running high with everyone. I've looked through the 120 odd shots I took over 45 mins and a total of maybe 13 are intrusive on the band (spanning maybe 8 seconds of that time, which is about 0.3% of the entire time I was shooting photos) as they were shot on continuous burst mode (which seemed to annoy some people).

I whole heartedly apologise for saying any offending words\comments to anyone or there partners and openly admit to it. It was a heat of the moment thing and was shameful and wrong on my behalf. I accept that.
I do have photos of the band dating back to 2004 and have in the past had the band store some of their kit in my house as well as having one of their support bands stay with me for a week several years ago.

Once I do have internet again I will post unedited jpegs with the edif data available of my images from the night for people to make their own decisions on whether my shots were overly intrusive for the crowd. I did have earplugs in (as most photogs would) and genuinely didn't hear being asked to stop shooting as it was causing trouble.
I know there was some naming and shaming going on with thumped.ie and I'm ok if people want to call me out on it. My images can be seen on flickr under my username of pete4130 and anyone can contact me directly. My photos and time stamps will show I was there to take photos. I. Made sure to get there early to get a position at the stage and only moved when I was asked outside by a doorman to explain what had happened. He looked at my timestamps for photos and allowed me back in happy I hadn't had hit anyone.
I'm sorry it's a crime to like a band, get there early, take some photos, get abused for it, have some randomer (apparantly from hot press) wade in and cause a seperate incident, throw 2 pints over people, punch someone in the face twice and not expect a reaction and play innocent to security. I know it isn't the right thing to do but it happens\happened.

Once I have internet back I will post all my unedited photos for people to make up their own minds.

One thing I did find ironic on thumped.ie was that below the thread was one of my gig photos promoting an Irish bands single on the same page I was being given so much abuse for. For me it says more about my past\history with local dublin bands than most people ranting.

There are 2 sides to each story, probably 3 or 4 to this one so it's not clear cut and never will be. Nobody is as innocent as they make out to be. Some people were being antagonistic towards others. I hold my hands up and openly admit to the part my actions played in the drama that not any one person was responsible for.

I've been taking gig shots for years and have NEVER received the hostility I did on NYE. It is swings and roundabouts. If I was asked rather than told I couldn't take photos I'm sure I would have responded differently. Things happened as they happened on the night and people should accept their own actions (I've already admitted and tried to apologise for my poor decisions) and can't be held accountable for things happening behind me when my eye is looking through my camera, which is as you know like tunnel vision at times.

If anyone has any concerns or anguish with me they can contact me directly @ [email protected] or they can choose to be an internet forum wizard and post back here.
that is an exceptionally warped view of the events of that night.

i think people should forget about the fight for the minute as thats an isolated incident.
but some of the things this guy has said here are very surprising. i dont really want to pick apart his statement but some of it doesnt make sense. and i also must honestly say that my issue and problem is in fact clear cut. i was also stone cold sober that night and very aware of what was happening. we are not talking about the silly details of who poured what on who here. we're just talking about basic bad conduct.

the main thing that baffles me here is that he says firstly that he had earplugs in and couldnt hear people asking to stop. then he says that if he had been asked rather than told to stop. so then surely he heard people then? i personally saw him being told/asked/whatever to stop by 2 or 3 separate people and each time he certainly heard these requests(and each time responded rudely).
also, once the bouncer came over to sort the situation out, no one left quietly. they all decided to have a nice arguement right in front of the stage in front of 20 people.

also, 13 of his shots were intrusive? thats 13 too many as far as a lot of people are concerned.

anyways, i just honestly feel that this guy should be standing back and apologising, not going on the defense. either that or he clearly doesnt see what he has done.

So....

someone from Hot Press tried to beat up a DIY, independent, and all round nice guy photographer?

I was a photographer at that gig and I'm interested in what "the photographer at dirty 3" did 'conduct wise'

The post I quoted said this:

the post is more directed at general conduct that ive seen lately, such as by the photographer at dirty 3
right, im getting kinda tired of the heat this is making and how personal this is all getting.
fhogan was not THE photographer at this gig. apparently there were a few and he is not the one in question. right, there. done.

At Kidd Blunt's last ever gig in the Kilcoole Scout Hall, Janer stopped the entire gig by unplugging the power supply to the whole hall mid-song.
This is true as I fell of something I was standing on and it snagged the plug out but I never felt embarrassed or threatened by bouncers or crowd cos it was all in the name of Punk Rock,
It helped that there were no bouncers of course.

right, im getting kinda tired of the heat this is making and how personal this is all getting.
What did you think would happen when you made the original threads here and on boards? The thread title ATTN: promoters, gig goers, photographers...SERIOUS ISSUE with photography. reads to me like you're looking for "heat" and the original post was about one person. Why are you surprised?

What did you think would happen when you made the original threads here and on boards? The thread title ATTN: promoters, gig goers, photographers...SERIOUS ISSUE with photography. reads to me like you're looking for "heat" and the original post was about one person. Why are you surprised?
no i just mean im getting a load of PMs and the thread has turned a bit sour.
also the boards thread is nothing to do with me.

most certainly not looking for 'heat'. ive made my point. just wanted to highlight something/

this thread has rapidly gone from...

ScarJo_popcorn.gif

to...

tumblr_kvhkvwh5GB1qzf94so1_400.gif

Glen E. Friedman just tweated this thread, 'for spas'.

sorry lads

Sketch!

BTW, I didn't see any reference to this on his titter and he doesn't seem to have squeezed out a blog about it either.

Who be Glen E Friedman??

He's a punk photographer, or a photographer of punk or something along those lines. Just found that out from a brief bit of googling.

Fan of dolphins.

this photographer could be your life

you know, if you still like flannel shirts tied around your waist

I think three songs is fine, ten minutes is better (be that more than or less than three songs). Shooting with flash throughout the gig is, in my opinion, overkill and unfair on other punters. I'd usually try get as much as i can in the first ten minutes, then put the camera away unless something worth shooting or unusual happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back