Arthur's Day (1 Viewer)

Arthurs Day is a loada bollox but people are overreacting.

My biggest problem with it is that it lacks any kind of imagination. Same aul shite year in, year out.

But at least some bands are getting gigs and a few bob to help pay the bills.

Heres a suggestion to the good folks of Guinness/Diageo. How about over the September bank holiday weekend have a guinness sponsored music festival. Something along the lines of HWCH where several venues are used and where a single ticket can get you entry to any. But with bigger, more mainstream acts. Maybe have the thing culminate in a big outdoor blowout down in Grand Canal Dock (or whether it was down there they were holding gigs last year).

I mean, no one ever whinged about the Heineken Green Energy thing, and you'd kind of miss that now. So why doesn't guinness step in a fill the void properly.

Or am I missing some wider point here?

It seems they're going to be cancelling it after this year after the public sway against it but we'll see if it sticks.

It's weird to see people hating on Guinness so much, for most of my life I've been very used to people complimenting their advertising. They may have made a major blunder here.

I mean, no one ever whinged about the Heineken Green Energy thing, and you'd kind of miss that now. So why doesn't guinness step in a fill the void properly.

That's a good idea, have a weekender of some big gigs in Dublin Castle or something. But I suspect Guinness are gunning for a national PR campaign with Arthur's Day.

Has anyone done the analysis on the gender breakdown of male/female/transgendered/neutered artists playing for Arthur's Day?

Heres a suggestion to the good folks of Guinness/Diageo. How about over the September bank holiday weekend have a guinness sponsored music festival. Something along the lines of HWCH where several venues are used and where a single ticket can get you entry to any. But with bigger, more mainstream acts. Maybe have the thing culminate in a big outdoor blowout down in Grand Canal Dock (or whether it was down there they were holding gigs last year).

Or am I missing some wider point here?

I think the whole day for them on a national scale is much more valuable than a regular music festival, even if it was a music festival spread out over lots of venues with a huge attendance.

They get (hundreds of?) thousands of people into pubs, actively engaging with their brand (or at least that's how I'd imagine it would be termed in marketing speak).

Seems to me that this is a lot more desirable than gathering a load people in a field and making them drink only your brands. I'm sure the venues that have specific Arthur's Day events will only be serving Guinness etc. but there will be a lot of people out in other pubs too that have a choice of drink (and they'll see lots of people having great craic drinking pints of Guinness).

I think the whole day for them on a national scale is much more valuable than a regular music festival, even if it was a music festival spread out over lots of venues with a huge attendance.

They get (hundreds of?) thousands of people into pubs, actively engaging with their brand (or at least that's how I'd imagine it would be termed in marketing speak).

Seems to me that this is a lot more desirable than gathering a load people in a field and making them drink only your brands. I'm sure the venues that have specific Arthur's Day events will only be serving Guinness etc. but there will be a lot of people out in other pubs too that have a choice of drink (and they'll see lots of people having great craic drinking pints of Guinness).

I don't think for a second that they expect to make back the money they put into this from sales of Guinness on the day. This is 100% about publicity and thats starting to backfire on them. Even if the anti-Arthur's day campaigns are a little nonsensical, they are gathering pace, to the extent that Diageo are contemplating having this be the last one.

While I agree that, initially, a single-day thing does have a greater impact, its clear that this approach has run its course and its time for Diageo to step back and see what the next thing they could do is.

They mention Arthur's Day being a 'celebration' of 3 great things Ireland is known for - the pub, Guinness, music - and to be honest its hard to argue with that. So, how to they continue to celebrate those 3 'great' things? A music festival, centered around the pub, would be one option.

I don't think for a second that they expect to make back the money they put into this from sales of Guinness on the day. This is 100% about publicity and thats starting to backfire on them. Even if the anti-Arthur's day campaigns are a little nonsensical, they are gathering pace, to the extent that Diageo are contemplating having this be the last one.

Sorry - should have said valuable in branding terms - making people feel good about Guinness. Basically how I used to feel about it when I drank it. Proud to be a Guinness drinker...better than all the other beers...it has history! and the barman has to pour it properly...you have to wait for it. All that bullshit.

I'm giving up Guinness for good this week. It usually tastes shite, does unspeakable things to my insides, and gives me a worse hangover than anything else.

Does anyone have any actual evidence for this idea that Diageo are thinking of abandoning it because of the backlash?

Edit: By 'it' I obviously mean 'Arthurs Day' and not 'Guinness'. Though if they abandoned Guinness that would be fine with me too.

I'm giving up Guinness for good this week. It usually tastes shite, does unspeakable things to my insides, and gives me a worse hangover than anything else.

Does anyone have any actual evidence for this idea that Diageo are thinking of abandoning it because of the backlash?

Edit: By 'it' I obviously mean 'Arthurs Day' and not 'Guinness'. Though if they abandoned Guinness that would be fine with me too.

No more than the headline here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...hur-s-day-as-backlash-gathers-force-1.1537705

As a non-beer/ale drinker myself, is Guinness popular amongst the kids? Are Diageo seeing a long-term decline in sales?

If they kill Arthur's Day, it'll go the same way as that Bréo experiment they ran 20(?) years ago.

As a non-beer/ale drinker myself, is Guinness popular amongst the kids? Are Diageo seeing a long-term decline in sales?

If they kill Arthur's Day, it'll go the same way as that Bréo experiment they ran 20(?) years ago.
Breo was the 90's no ?

They should bring that back actually. There was no market for blonde beers back then but there is now.

So can we do away with Patricks day as well since that's 50 times worse than Arthurs day..... Oh no wait that's a day honouring a foreign saint who drove metaphorical beasts out of Ireland rather than one day a year where a drinks company invited us to buy it's product and raise a toast in honour of it's founder.

Which we all bought into completely and now it's Guinness's fault that we drink like fucking pigs is it ?

Dublin on Patricks day is a fucking disaster zone because we drink like pigs that's not Gunnness's fault, the two weeks over christmas and new year isn't Guinness's fault.

What's the fucking point in a backlash against a company trying to sell it's product ? That's the most basic form of capitalism.

Guinness should sponsor this instead so the rest of us who can actually hold our fucking drink can get absolutely hammered in peace.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/sep/18/police-drunk-tank-initiative

Breo was the 90's no ?

They should bring that back actually. There was no market for blonde beers back then but there is now.

Sorry to break it to ya but teh 90s was 20 years ago. Although Breo was phased out in 2000 so not so long ago.

I don't think Diageo came up with Arthur's Day, more likely Ogilvy did and being one of teh most successful ad companies in the world they know exactly what they're doing and that a backlash was to be expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back