Anything new / exciting out there?? (1 Viewer)

Re: Re: Re: Anything new / exciting out there??

Originally posted by egg_
It's true, the singing is so often the weak point on local records :(
... but I think (hope) that this has more to do with the recordings than the voices - was listening to Pavement this morn and Steve Malkmus doesn't have anything vaguely resembling a sonorous voice (he's not even in tune some of the time) but he sounds DEADLY

The singing is the weak point on a lot of records, full stop. Not just local ones. Never puts me off a jot, it's made into a virtue in a lot of cases - becomes their signature. Mark E Smith isn't exactly a honey throated vocalist yet the Fall are an amazing and obviously hugely respected band. Same goes for Wayne Coyne, Yer Man out of Grandaddy, DC Berman and Steve Malkmus can sound like a total crow on occasion. I can think of more records I own on which the singers can't actually sing in a traditional sense than those who can.

your mum? do tell.

more of my family's sinister attempt to take over the "scene", i'm afraid (we're kind of like the kelly family, only less hideous and german). she does some swoopy soprano backing vocals. they're really good, too.

I've also heard good things about Beards of Jesus. They've been known to set themselves on fire live - and no, not the kind that goes out with water.

You need foam, baby, and plenty of it.

Originally posted by Knacker

Beards of Jesus... debut gig is on Good Friday 2004, in some place down the cuntry.

They're *feckin'* deadly.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Actually I recommend listening to alot of black singers and taking note of their unusual approach (from a white guys POV) to vocals. Oh yeah and loads, and loads of practice.

And no smoking (of anything!), cut out/down on alcohol and dairy products, never sing without a total vocal warm up, don't raise your shoulders when you breathe in and *never* force your voice unless you want nodules on your vocal chords.

Adhere to the above instructions and you too could sound like Charlotte Church!*

*Except you probably won't...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anything new / exciting out there??

...nd I've noticed that alot of bands write their vocals around their guitar parts, and rarely vice-versa.

this is true, but it's difficult to avoid that when in the case of most dublin bands i know of, the person singing is also playing an instrument. i can think of two, el diablo and morrello, who have a dedicated vocalist. it's pretty easy to write a guitar bit, but damn hard to come up with a decent vocal melody, which is why folks like the corpo and neosupervital stand out.

...its nothing to do with poor quality recording.

That's not really what I meant. When I say the recordings may be at fault I mean ... that not being able to sing in a conventionally handsome way needn't be a problem in the studio if the singer/engineer/producer have the skills/imagination to make the voice sound like it needs to be the way it is
e.g. Pavement

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
I've also heard good things about Beards of Jesus. They've been known to set themselves on fire live - and no, not the kind that goes out with water.

You need foam, baby, and plenty of it.

Beards of Jesus .|..|

Originally posted by minka
your mum? do tell.

more of my family's sinister attempt to take over the "scene", i'm afraid (we're kind of like the kelly family, only less hideous and german). she does some swoopy soprano backing vocals. they're really good, too.

yeah, i haven't seen her since christmas.

yes, i seem to remember your dad joining decal a while back.

I've noticed that alot of bands write their vocals around their guitar parts, and rarely vice-versa.

Ha ha Speedy you sound like one of the old audio engineers on prosoundweb ... where's the HOOK man? Just because you like vocal melodies doesn't mean everybody has to write songs with melody in em.

Cats that bark

Underrated local acts recommended by this O'Malley:

- Schroedersound
- The Boxes

Also well worth checking out, if your jollies are achieved through the medium of unusual noyze, are the following:

- "Beaches and Canyons", Black Dice
- "Vision Creation New Sun", The Boredoms

Originally posted by mark
it's pretty easy to write a guitar bit, but damn hard to come up with a decent vocal melody, which is why folks like the corpo and neosupervital stand out.

It's not that hard to write a vocal melody but sometimes 'the instrumentalists' seem to forget that a melody has to be put in over something that they come up with and then it can be next to impossible to come up with something that doesn't sound forced or superfluous. If a song sounds complete without vocals then they shouldn't be added.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anything new / exciting out there??

That's not really what I meant. When I say the recordings may be at fault I mean ... that not being able to sing in a conventionally handsome way needn't be a problem in the studio if the singer/engineer/producer have the skills/imagination to make the voice sound like it needs to be the way it is
e.g. Pavement

...ah yeah, I know what you mean. Some voices just have character up the ying yang and a very limited range. I dunno who said it up there that you might need a dedicated vocalist to write good vocals, but I think thats kinda rubbish. There's plenty of writers who play their instruments while they sing great vocals. It's just down to talent and practice. You must play the song without even thinking about where your fingers go. I never thought I'd ever be able to play and sing a Zeppelin song on the guitar years ago but one day I did it, just by playing the thing to death. Its difficult at the start, but always possible.

Re: Cats that bark

Underrated local acts recommended by this O'Malley:

- Schroedersound
- The Boxes

Also well worth checking out, if your jollies are achieved through the medium of unusual noyze, are the following:

- "Beaches and Canyons", Black Dice
- "Vision Creation New Sun", The Boredoms

scientific bong is better than all that shit

peace,

andrew

ps - anyone like making max patches? they're so rad.

Re: Cats that bark

Schroedersound...
...who is playing in the Village with Headgear, John Hegarty and Margaret Healy. It's on tomorrow night and it costs 8 Euros. Sorted.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anything new / exciting out there??

Ha ha Speedy you sound like one of the old audio engineers on prosoundweb ... where's the HOOK man? Just because you like vocal melodies doesn't mean everybody has to write songs with melody in em.

Ha ha...come on. I like good singing. Something that sounds genuine, believable. I'm not always looking for a hook. I love Johnny Cash albums where his voice is barely working. Ditto for some Bob Dylan stuff. Good vocal writing doesn't mean spectacular howling from one octave to the next, it just means an imaginitive use of rhythm and melody, playing with how many syllables you can fit in a line, or take out. I'm gettin meself in a knot. I can't explain. I need tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back