Anything new / exciting out there?? (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
I do think many of the names you mentioned are derivative (certainly for whats going on in Dublin only at the moment) Everyone is following certain paths. I'm not saying that those paths are wrong, just its going the same direction.

I dont hold the Chalets up as a model for 'breaking the mould' but, I do give them credit for trying something different (locally speaking) everything else is mostly post-rock variations or electronica, thats all Im saying. Where is the Jazz, the Bossonova, Ska, vocal stuff (whats that), percussion stuff etc...etc...you know mixes and blends. Not trying to sound like the Redneck Manifesto or Spectac (nothing wrong with either of those mind you) but, do you know what I mean???

I saw Gregor 57 very recently, I'd rather not pass coment in order not to offend (trust me my ears do not need sryringing)

..our new suff is full of jazz. and we have a singer.*cough* sniff*
shit though, I only mentioned it cause you asked. I'm not doin the self promotion thing.at all.

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
If you don't like it, start a band.
Alternatively, get out there and go to some gigs.. you might discover something magical is happening...

Fair point but, I go to about 2-3 (and sometimes more) gigs a week. I know most of whats going on. If I went to anymore gigs I would crack up.

I actually play in 3 bands (and very much enjoy them). I am not saying that any of them are very original or ground breaking and I do believe in them. I'm just want to see something a bit different happening...that includes me, mind you

....you might discover something magical is happening...

what do you mean by this? essplain it to me like i'm simple...
not to point fingers, throw bones or try to anger, but i saw the things tour in limerick and there was nothing 'magical' about it - just another gig exactly like the 9 trillion i've seen over the last 5 years.

bye

andrew (f!!!)

ps - scientific bong is amazing
pps - mr. creosote is cool too as is giveamanakick - limerick, represent.

there's a song on the HF album that's hairstandyuppy,
'it never even entered my mind' + 'ballad of ray james' from mdr the harmony bit in 'acunamanacana' from stoat,
'kids dig punk' by deputy fuzz
'fire down' by settler...
erm...
the line that goes 'you can't prove it' from 'safety shot' by dudley's
when the harmony's come in in NVUN by capratone..
er...
'rachel' by neosupervital is brilliant...
erm...
the new girls aloud song...
your house from here by tycho brahe...
erm...
there's loads more...

I dont hold the Chalets up as a model for 'breaking the mould' but, I do give them credit for trying something different (locally speaking) everything else is mostly post-rock variations or electronica, thats all Im saying.

Gibberish

Where is the Jazz, the Bossonova, Ska, vocal stuff (whats that), percussion stuff etc...etc...

?
It's not hard to find this stuff around the place you know. Start with the Imrpovised Music Company.

mixes and blends

Ah now. You really should start listening to some "abstract electronica". Usually very ecletic, these abstract electronicists

Where is the Jazz, the Bossonova, Ska, vocal stuff (whats that), percussion stuff etc...etc...you know mixes and blends. Not trying to sound like the Redneck Manifesto or Spectac (nothing wrong with either of those mind you) but, do you know what I mean???

All that stuff is each in its own little scene. There's no mingling between genres. Indie stays with indie, ska with ska, jazz with jazz, blah, blah...But jayzuz, jazz?

..actually heres atune/band that I just had a listen to..it's on the foggy notions c.d. a track that has all the above in it. The band is called Stanley Super 800, track is called rolled up in gold. man I would love to see those guys live, does anyone know if they play gigs or wha?

Originally posted by dragonninja6000
what do you mean by this? essplain it to me like i'm simple...
not to point fingers, throw bones or try to anger, but i saw the things tour in limerick and there was nothing 'magical' about it - just another gig exactly like the 9 trillion i've seen over the last 5 years.

I don't know what kind of egomaniac you think I am, man... nothing to do with any band I play in / know / like / whatever... I just meant that I hope DMYS was saying this from experience rather than being one of those folks who sit at home waiting for something amazing to land on their doorstep.
As he said earlier, he goes to loads of gigs, so that's not the case. Hurrahh.

So yeah. Count to ten next time, or somethin'.
Sheesh.

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
All that stuff is each in its own little scene. There's no mingling between genres. Indie stays with indie, ska with ska, jazz with jazz, blah, blah...But jayzuz, jazz?

ok. That's it. Everybody everywhere, drop everything, and meet me at the corner of Leeson St. and Stephen's green for a fucking fight.

Jayses.

I don't know what kind of egomaniac you think I am, man... nothing to do with any band I play in / know / like / whatever... I just meant that I hope DMYS was saying this from experience rather than being one of those folks who sit at home waiting for something amazing to land on their doorstep.
As he said earlier, he goes to loads of gigs, so that's not the case. Hurrahh.

So yeah. Count to ten next time, or somethin'.
Sheesh.

peep the bit where i said i wasn't talking about you
forget everything i said about limerick
now tell me what's so magical about bands playing gigs like bands have always done?

peace in the middle east
andrew.

ps - i apologise for everything if you were talking about The Magic Band

Originally posted by Burgerbarbaby
ok. That's it. Everybody everywhere, drop everything, and meet me at the corner of Leeson St. and Stephen's green for a fucking fight.

Jayses.

hold it off for four hours, I'm not lettin an opportunity like this pass.....

not heard anything irish recently that i'd put in the 'hair standing on the back of the neck category'(except the last post, but that's always on the list) , there's some nice stuff around though, i really like the Hulk single(electronic stuff mind). Herv single = lovely

From further afield
FortDax's album Folly is stunning, listeneing to it lots(atmospheric electronic stuff)
Been listening to Trust by a low a lot this week
Tommy Gurerro's album is great
I like the Yo La Tengo album but not all at once
King of Woolworths album is good
Hidden cameras album is mad but enjoyable
Lots of soundtracks and older stuff by my stereo at the moment though

Here. Seriously. What music isn't derivative in some way?

People may say that what Paper Cop/ Gregor 57/ Rollers Sparkers are doing as being more original that most. However they have their influences just like everyone else (prog/ no wave/ krautrock/ nowave whatever). I enjoy these bands 'cos the music is good.

Is it just me or have things been a bit quiet lately?? Locally is there anyone coming up with anything new or exciting??

dude, have you not heard of paddy casey? he's great! he is currently recording a new album (i can't wait!) and if iis anything like as good as the last one, i'll cream myself. also david grey is amazing and you can't fuck a rock these days without hitting an accoustic guitar weilding trubadour (cough...spit!) they always offer great value for money. cuttin edge stuff, and they all actully sing too, not like the c40!!! appearently singing is the new black.

toss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back