Anything new / exciting out there?? (1 Viewer)

DontMugYourself

Website
Visit site
Is it just me or have things been a bit quiet lately?? Locally is there anyone coming up with anything new or exciting?? Everything seems to be post-rock (hate that term) derivative or abstract electronic type stuff. The Chalets broke from this mould but, like everything having played a few gigs it has got a bit tired.

Anyone, anything to suggest? know of anyone making cool new music and ploughing their own path ??

On a bigger level any new good records out that one should purchase???

Gosh I guess not. Nobody's bloody replying. I was thinking this too really. The new Cat Power album is deadly and I hear the new Yo La Tengo one is great - have to buy this yet though.

..and the wormhole' are playing tonight in mother redcaps €5 europees in so no point in whingin' get there and support the cause(it's a charity gig but I cant think which one.I'm sure it's a worthy one.)

Thats exactly the type of list I did not want to hear. Some of that stuff is really really poor (in my humble opinion) I want something new and exciting not drab and derivative

More stuff......And just for the record it includes "abstract electronica".....
The Last Sound, Mr. Creosote, Formika, Murmansk, Jimmy Behan, Decal, Schroeder's Cat/Schroedersound, the Tuesday night jazz band in the International, all the Front End Synthetics stuff (Ambulance, Spectac etc).

And if you're bored with shit, go to Lazybird (upstairs in the International) of a Sunday. That'll sort you out.

Well.... it depends a lot on what kind of music you're into.....

I personally don't like post rock and most of Irish.... erm... "alternative" bands as my likes are much more mainstreamish than the average Thumped member's.

Lately I did enjoy a few gigs though: Indigo Fury, The New Rhodes (from Bristol), Label (who play TMBC this Saturday after having disappeared from one week) and Stephen Walker (pop).
Besides, Turn (I love their first album) should release a second one soon.

I bought several albums but the only ones I really liked are "Use what you've got" from Neosupervital and "Senor, my friend" from Mumblin Deaf Ro.

My band have an album in the oven too :) and should be back on the scene at the end of the summer

You see, I know all that stuff and some of it is really nice and some of it not so nice (dont know tues band in International but, I know the rest)

I'm looking for 'hairstanding on back of neck' good?? Something totally new?

Should I drop this approach now?? OK, im gonna go now!!

ok dude, I don't have a problem with you not liking the music I mentioned, but you need to get your ears syringed a few times if you can seriously call those bands derivative, while claiming that the Chalets "Broke this mould". Good god.

Seriously......

Have you seen Gregor57?

Em... Formika's re-mix of Creative Control's "Bloodrush" is pretty damn good.

Halfset are really good.... but I don't think they're your type of thing.

Daemien Frost (with the new bassist) are fantastique. Their afternoon show in Whelan's recently was super.

"Burgerbarbaby" is right about Rollers/Sparkets. Genuinely fucking amazing band.

Originally posted by Burgerbarbaby
ok dude, I don't have a problem with you not liking the music I mentioned, but you need to get your ears syringed a few times if you can seriously call those bands derivative, while claiming that the Chalets "Broke this mould". Good god.

Seriously......

Have you seen Gregor57?

I do think many of the names you mentioned are derivative (certainly for whats going on in Dublin only at the moment) Everyone is following certain paths. I'm not saying that those paths are wrong, just its going the same direction.

I dont hold the Chalets up as a model for 'breaking the mould' but, I do give them credit for trying something different (locally speaking) everything else is mostly post-rock variations or electronica, thats all Im saying. Where is the Jazz, the Bossonova, Ska, vocal stuff (whats that), percussion stuff etc...etc...you know mixes and blends. Not trying to sound like the Redneck Manifesto or Spectac (nothing wrong with either of those mind you) but, do you know what I mean???

I saw Gregor 57 very recently, I'd rather not pass coment in order not to offend (trust me my ears do not need sryringing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back