Anything new / exciting out there?? (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by Unclealo
Here. Seriously. What music isn't derivative in some way?

People may say that what Paper Cop/ Gregor 57/ Rollers Sparkers are doing as being more original that most. However they have their influences just like everyone else (prog/ no wave/ krautrock/ nowave whatever). I enjoy these bands 'cos the music is good.

which one of these bands a no wave-y band? only heard rollers/sparkers, so i'm guessing it's not them..curious though - i like that kinda shit!

latuhz playuhz,

andrew

ps - further afield music - scientific bong, 11 wolf eyes albums, neon hunk and hair police...the new locust album is cool too...read it and weep!

Also on the new/exciting gig front:

Breakestra(Stones Throw Records)
DJ Shortkut (Invisibl Skratch Picklz, Beat Junkies) (fuppin' amazing dj)

at the Village on May 17th

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
Is it just me or have things been a bit quiet lately?? Locally is there anyone coming up with anything new or exciting?? Everything seems to be post-rock (hate that term) derivative or abstract electronic type stuff. The Chalets broke from this mould but, like everything having played a few gigs it has got a bit tired.

Anyone, anything to suggest? know of anyone making cool new music and ploughing their own path ??

On a bigger level any new good records out that one should purchase???

apparantly when the mars volta album comes out it's going to blow everyone away
that's one to keep an eye out for

Originally posted by Ed
not heard anything irish recently that i'd put in the 'hair standing on the back of the neck category'(except the last post, but that's always on the list) , there's some nice stuff around though, i really like the Hulk single(electronic stuff mind). Herv single = lovely

From further afield
FortDax's album Folly is stunning, listeneing to it lots(atmospheric electronic stuff)
Been listening to Trust by a low a lot this week
Tommy Gurerro's album is great
I like the Yo La Tengo album but not all at once
King of Woolworths album is good
Hidden cameras album is mad but enjoyable
Lots of soundtracks and older stuff by my stereo at the moment though

Fort Dax...Now your talking. Its a stunning album. Likewise Tommy G, very nice indeed, Yo La Tengo I like but not for a full album e.g. and then nothing turned itself inside out.

What are Hidden Cameras like??

Burgar Bar Baby..I Think you missed my entire point
Mark....you look like a paddy casey fan

Originally posted by dragonninja6000
which one of these bands a no wave-y band? only heard rollers/sparkers, so i'm guessing it's not them..curious though - i like that kinda shit!

latuhz playuhz,

andrew

ps - further afield music - scientific bong, 11 wolf eyes albums, neon hunk and hair police...the new locust album is cool too...read it and weep!

I reckon Gregor 57... though I don't know if Rothko or Meta would agree with me...

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
What are Hidden Cameras like??

Hidden cameras are a slightly insane "gay church folk group" from Canada, they go between lush poppy string driven stuff with harmonies and the like, and the odd piece of ludicrously catchy speed pop(recent single Ban Marriage). Probably not to everyone's tastes but i enjoy their stuff.
Apparantly put on insane live shows, playing with the Sleepy Jackson(who aren't bad) on my 12th in whelans

eX-girl in tbmc in may
you can't argue with them crazy japanee bunnies and their dischordant operetta...well you can but in fuzukis absence they wont understand you

Well if you think the Chalets have broken from the mould of dublin music, then you should be getting out to see Deputy Fuzz. Their new stuff is pure genius.

As for post rock, Dublin does seem to have an abundance of it but stick with the coldspoon conspiracy and you'll be fine. Those boys seem to know their stuff.

If you wanna check out new bands on the "scene", go see Hermie in Tweed*, they totally blew me away when I saw them (did i just say that?). They don't seem to have any gigs that I know of coming up, keep your ears open.

Vaginal Cream are one of the better fem-rock bands doing the circuits at the moment.**

*again, I reiterate. I'm not in this band but they're by far one of the best new bands i've heard

**that's a lie, but a great name for a band

today i have been listening to Nile (In Their Darkened Shrines) and Tony Bennett (MTV Unplugged)

.|..|

edit: yes, i know - neither are new.

hermie in tweed are definitely one of the best irish bands i've seen in a while

Originally posted by pete
today i have been listening to Nile (In Their Darkened Shrines) and Tony Bennett (MTV Unplugged)

.|..|

edit: yes, i know - neither are new.

don't forget the sound of you changing my avatar because you're a big spa!!!

andy

So you all reakon there is nothing new going on?
I think thats just a case of the Blind leading the Blind for some people....
I`m not going to be about in May and i`m nearly in tears at the amount of live gigs i`m going to miss.
Severed Head Of State/The dagda - Estel in Limrick - The Apes - Hot Water Music - Yo la Tengo - Acid Mothers Sould Collective.
And i`m sure theres more in between that lot.More Yakazu hpoefully.
Has anyone here seen the recent Forward The Revolution tour?
REST & FRED...nothing boring about that lot.The Dagda shows put the hair standing on the back of my head.
And last tuesday night - OUTHUD/RADIO 4...

Records i can`t wait to get hold of - Knifed/Bastard Youth split - Scatha/Dagda split - Estels new stuff - Fuktifino`s new stuff - some Mooney Suzuki, and to top it all off i`ve just discovered CAP`N JAZZ - DRIVE LIKE JEHU - BASTRO - CREEPS ON CANDY and DEAD & GONE!!
Have you heard the album that limerick band 22, put oput last year?Unreal stuff and one of our own to beat it all!
Being honest i`ve barely the money or the time to keep up with it all!!
And then the 1st May - SHALABI EFFECT in the Voodoo rooms, not your typical music really....If your all so jaded with whats going on abouts - check these guys out.
Yee bunch of jaded oul women yee.....disgrace, a disgrace - shame on you all.

Methinks Deputy Fuzz are hair-stand-on-end, magically amazing. The Chalets and Neo-Supervital also make me believe in life beyond droning guitars, 'difficult' bass lines, and 'interesting' time-changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back