Anything new / exciting out there?? (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
Everything seems to be post-rock (hate that term) derivative or abstract electronic type stuff.

Hold on a sec - there's zillions of local acts that are not post-rock or abstract electronic ... Dudley Corp, MDR, Deputy Fuzz, Playground Psych, Settler ... the list goes on ... Delorentos, Dinah Brand, Stoat (!), etc etc

Here, DMY.
That new Alasdair Roberts LP really gets me. Lovely tunes and instrumentation. It's pretty folky if you like that kinda thing, but his voice and the arrangements make me happy.
It's called Farewell Sorrow. Out on Rough Trade & Drag City.

The new microphones album is indeed a work of excellence. Here's the science bit from the kpunk web-site:

Mount Eerie is a concept album that takes it up a notch, the self searching for identity within a universal context. Divided into five parts, it is named after Mt. Erie, a peak that dominates Fidalgo Island where Phil grew up. This drama tells the tale of one person striking out into the wilderness to unearth the face beneath the disguise, and the being beneath the face. "Epic" is too shallow a word to describe the boundless beauty and vision that comprises this superlative work.

The story from Mount Eerie:

I. The Sun In which the story begins, where you are born and run away from death up the mountain in fear and are watched by a ball of fire.

II. Solar System In which, in a valley on the way up, the day is ending while you reminisce about a girl gracefully juggling (you as) a planet.

III. Universe In which, coming out of the canyon in the dusk, you realize your ball of fire friend has set and doubt creeps in. A big beautiful dark backdrop above asks you intimate questions and sings.

IV. Mt. Eerie In which, on a precipice, you watch your killer roll up and kill you. Vultures eat your body and fly off, leaving the peak empty and windy again.

V. In which, invisible, you realize there's a mountain above the one you just walked up. Also, the "Universe" painting you'd gazed at before turns out to be a lot bigger than you thought, and 3-D.

It's in Road Records if ya wanna buy it.

Okay... they are post-rock and all that... but Steerage are fucking brilliant. You must all go and buy the EP when it comes out... the first two tracks are brillo (in that they're like my hair, which is rocking)....

Actually, my mate Niall is going to be really big. Singer/Songwriter-y stuff... only "rock-star" I know

yak yak yak.

there is very few bands who are original, ANYWHERE. there are a loads of good bands around, and as ever, loads of shit bands.

this is a mute point, a null arguement, a blah blah blah.

BUT HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? YOU MUST BE SO IGNORANT!

fuck that.
if you see 10 gigs, chances are you see 3 bands a night, and you'll probably see the same bands two or three times aswell (cos bands play with their mates), so you might see a total of 20 bands, say.
if you see 1 great bands, 5 average ones and 14 crap ones, you're doing very well....

so far i've been unimpressed by far too many average bands.

and i may never go another 'gigsmart' 'garageland' or anything-in-eamonn-dorans gig again.

andy keeps mentioning scientific bong here and y'all keep ignoring him... we may not be originally but we're waaaaaaaaaaay different than every single band mentioned on this thread so far (except by Rimbaud) and we're playing tomorrow night (thats easter sunday 20 april) in The Music Room (abbey st, above firestone pub) with Foot In Mouth and Mouthpiece for just a fiver. if yr bored with the current state of stuff in dublin (ie the "things bands" or the "thumped bands"), give it a go. it'll be funny at the very least. i promise.
oh, and pints are €3 before 10pm.

(for the record i'm posting this to try and raise more money for RTS (its a benefit gig) not to get a whole load of new people into my band so we can go and start playing the TBMC or some shit).

Is originality really that important? I get a feeling from glancing through this thread that that is what is being looked for.
Give me generic,sincere,done a million times before,enthusiastic but good over original pretentious different for the sake of being different shit anyday.
It's ALL been done before,don't even think it hasn't.
Good = good,shit=shit
Go see the bong because they are good.

new autechre is excellent. brutal hip hop beats.

ooh, wanna hear.

the forthcoming el diablo album sounds like it's going to be bleedin' rappa (and not only because i'm on it. and my mum.), and the new tycho brahe stuff i've heard is super lurvely.

Originally posted by minka
new autechre is excellent. brutal hip hop beats.

ooh, wanna hear.

the forthcoming el diablo album sounds like it's going to be bleedin' rappa (and not only because i'm on it. and my mum.), and the new tycho brahe stuff i've heard is super lurvely.

yeah, lovely cover as well.

your mum? do tell. herv album almost finished as well. although my mum probably wont be on it. her piano is though.

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
Is it just me or have things been a bit quiet lately?? Locally is there anyone coming up with anything new or exciting?? Everything seems to be post-rock (hate that term) derivative or abstract electronic type stuff. The Chalets broke from this mould but, like everything having played a few gigs it has got a bit tired.

Anyone, anything to suggest? know of anyone making cool new music and ploughing their own path ??

On a bigger level any new good records out that one should purchase???

Don't mean to be a spanner here, but check out a couple of my bands tunes here . I think we're on a completely different direction to anything else yer typical Irish band is at. These demos are old though, and our newer versions, and newer songs will sounds much more polished. I'll stick some up soon.

http://www.thespiders.com

...Anyway, like I said before. I hold Neosupervital head and shoulders above anything I've seen in Dublin over the last six months. I'm actually addicted to a couple of his songs. Besides sounding completely electronic and new, he sings very, very well. Which is RARE in Ireland.

Re: Re: Anything new / exciting out there??

Originally posted by Speed Racer
he sings very, very well. Which is RARE in Ireland

It's true, the singing is so often the weak point on local records :(
... but I think (hope) that this has more to do with the recordings than the voices - was listening to Pavement this morn and Steve Malkmus doesn't have anything vaguely resembling a sonorous voice (he's not even in tune some of the time) but he sounds DEADLY

Re: Re: Anything new / exciting out there??

Originally posted by Speed Racer
...Anyway, like I said before. I hold Neosupervital head and shoulders above anything I've seen in Dublin over the last six months. I'm actually addicted to a couple of his songs. Besides sounding completely electronic and new, he sings very, very well. Which is RARE in Ireland.

I agree 100% here, his EP "Use what you got" is definitely the best record I bought this year.

Besides, I heard Yacuza for the first time yesterday and they rock! Kind of the Boxes but more noisy and... you won't believe this.... the singer can actually sing!!!! ;)

Re: Re: Re: Anything new / exciting out there??

Originally posted by egg_
It's true, the singing is so often the weak point on local records :(
... but I think (hope) that this has more to do with the recordings than the voices - was listening to Pavement this morn and Steve Malkmus doesn't have anything vaguely resembling a sonorous voice (he's not even in tune some of the time) but he sounds DEADLY

...its nothing to do with poor quality recording. I think its just poor singing. And I've noticed that alot of bands write their vocals around their guitar parts, and rarely vice-versa. Its so obvious when this happens. So many local bands listen to influences who can't even sing in the first place (alot of Post rock, Avant Rock....whateves bands).

I've listened alot to Stevie Wonders singing and The Beach Boys, Beatles in the last couple of years that I've been writing vocals and it does help. These guys cover so much ground vocally, around the simplest Chords or riffs that its extraordinary. Actually I recommend listening to alot of black singers and taking note of their unusual approach (from a white guys POV) to vocals. Oh yeah and loads, and loads of practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back