anybody reading anything good? (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Magee said:
Read At Swim-Two-Birds before, found a few bits funny but didn't get a lot of it (the Fianna parodies and suchlike were just really boring). Should I therefore avoid the Third Policeman?

Yeah ASTB is kindof patchy, I really liked some of it (actually the Fianna parodies that you didn't like) but some of it didn't do much for me at all (maybe it went over my head). Third Policeman is way funnier, accessible and enjoyable.

hermie said:
reading 'middlesex' by jeffrey eugenides (y'know the virgin suicides guy).its really good.about a hermaphrodite and the twisted generations leading up to his/her birth.

Enjoyed this...less about the hermaphrodite, and more a "Coming to America" type story...but love his style...engaging but not overwhelming.

Currently in "How the dead live" by Will Self.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140268650/qid=1109262789/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-5343644-4738831

Tis good, but find myself picking holes in his surrealism...and the heroine isn't particularly affable.

Currently reading 'The Minotaur Takes A Cigarette Break' - it's good fun, and takes as its premise that the minotaur from Greek mythology is alive and well (and over 5000 years old) and currently working as a short-order cook in a North Carolina diner while he tries to get his life together. It's a good little book, and it's cheap in Chapters too!

I wonder if all these half human half something else things in various mythologies were just the people of the times trying to justify bestiality to themselves.

ratmonkey said:
I wonder if all these half human half something else things in various mythologies were just the people of the times trying to justify bestiality to themselves.

perhaps, but does bestiality really need any justification?

has anyone read david foster wallaces "infinite jest"? is it worth the time/effort? its about a thousand pages long

I is reading Julia Philipsseseses you'll never eat lunch in this town again, which is an expose of hollywood nastiness which then gave rise to loads of other books like you'll never make love in this town again, once more with feeling, and exposes of Don Simpson etc etc. In anyways easons are doing it for 2 quid off, and it is VG, I am enjoying it much.

Am reading 'Bad Dirt' short stories by Annie Proulx. Purdy good. It's nice to read short stories after a long book (Don Quixote - which rocked, once I had eventually finished it).

just finished this
26485_ful.jpg

it's deadly

mmmricharddawkinsmmm.
he's my steven pinker for my twenties. reading 'a devil's chaplain' at the moment, it's only the brilliant.

i'm also reading the vision of piers plowman, but that's because i have to write an essay on it. for tomorrow. hello library!!

egg_ said:
I read The Da Vinci Code there lately
What a waste of time - a lame whodunnit with too many adjectives
Yeah, lotta people complainin about this alright...I think I'll give it a miss

I on the other hand am entertaining myself with the Tao Te Ching...man tis some barrel o laughs...not the font of timeless wisdom I had envisaged...far too vague i mo thuairim

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back