anybody reading anything good? (2 Viewers)

P. Littbarski said:
yeah...it doesnt sound too good.

I could definitely see Philip Seymour Hoffman doing this with great aplomb.

Other suggestions that spring to mind...
Ricky Gervais
John Goodman
Jack Black
John Candy (except for the fact that he's dead he'd be alright)
I'd like to add Wayne Knight (of Newman in Seinfeld fame) to the list.

Well I am currently reading Deception Point which is pretty ok, after reading a few other ones by Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code & Digital Fortress). Dan Brown's style is pretty intreresting at times and frustrating at others, when you are hoping to find the vital pieces of info and then they change chapters and focus on some other part of the story. I still have Angels & Deamons somewhere on my to read shelf.

goose said:
Well I am currently reading Deception Point which is pretty ok, after reading a few other ones by Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code & Digital Fortress). Dan Brown's style is pretty intreresting at times and frustrating at others, when you are hoping to find the vital pieces of info and then they change chapters and focus on some other part of the story. I still have Angels & Deamons somewhere on my to read shelf.

you must have been inspired by this post here .

Thanks for the affiliate links ! :p

FancyGoods said:
reading The Madmans Tail
by John Katzenbach at the moment.

its a real struggle. kinda drawn-out and boring.

*sigh*

you obviously struggled with the title of the thread as well :p

'Read I blame society' by rick something ( comedian guy )
it shure was funny. any story about a guy who marries six times
all to women named brenda is bound to be funny.

also 'The ventriloquists tale' by Pauline Melville which is this
really absorbing tale set in around the time of world war two
about this brother and sister who fall in love (but that's only a small part of it) has a real surreal and fairytale feel kinda like some of
gabriel garcia marquez's stuff.
but these guys are guyanese, also nice
insight into how the indians viewed westerners especially priests and such like.

Also if you have never read 'Perfume' by Patrick Sueskind do it now,
just was thinking about what a deadly story this is the other day, going to have to re-read it meself!

sarah said:
*sigh*

you obviously struggled with the title of the thread as well :p

the_mi1.jpg

;)

hag said:
i'm reading 'everything is illuminated' right now... one of the funniest books i have ever read, it's up there with the diceman etc...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141008253/qid=1107248483/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-3950120-7758858

i really, really liked this (and was very taken with sammy davis junior junior), and actually found it very moving by the end.

currently reading entertaining trashy historical fantasy (tim powers' <i>the anubis gates</i>). next up: the new haruki murakami, which i bought for cheap in reads. v. much looking forward to it.

I is reading the Light of Day by Graham Swift. It's good so far, but he has a very oblique writing style in which he gives hints and teases you, but reveals the story line extremely slowly, so you're constantly galloping ahead trying to work out what he meant by what a character said on page 10, and then on page 30 a little bit more will be revealed. It's slightly irritating at first, but worth it because it builds the story really well. He does the same in another of his books I've read, Last Orders, which is great too.

I didn't really like Everything Is Illuminated. The bits narrated in the mad Russian dialect are unbelievably funny and brilliant but I found the historical interludes really really dull. I gave it up about half way through and I really don't do that often. I know it probably all ties together in the end but it just didn't do it for me ..... maybe I was in a bad mood when I read it and should try it again ... it was kind of annoying because I really thought it would be up my street.

Anway I'm not currently reading anything good. Finished Empire Of The Sun last night and thought it was just okay .....

Started reading How Mumbo Jumbo Conqured The World and it's looking good so far ....

skinnerchinner said:
i just finished "de vinchy kode" last week
ending was a bit of a let down
a good pace thru the book tho' which had me hooked
you know when you read a 600 pager in a couple of days its pretty good

haven't read it yet but this looks interesting on channel 4, tis all about it apparently hosted by tony robinson
http://www.channel4.com/listings/C4/index.jsp?offset=2&position=2

i'm reading a bloody stack of books, not all of them are good though

joseph ledoux - synaptic self (another of these cognitive science books, i'm lashing them into me these days.. so far this wouldn't be one of my favourites)

some dude - a history of the mind (ditto)

david mamet - oleanna (deadly, have a tutorial on it tomorrow, hopefully it'll provoke as much argument as harold pinter did)

charles dickens - bleak house (i hope to have this read by my exams. but it's soooo looooong)

shakespeare - richard II (i don't like his history plays at all, but it's a pretty important bit of one of my courses)

alice walker - the colour purple (will have to finish it before i pass comment)

tennessee williams - a streetcar named desire (so far, so good).

god i love books.

Super Dexta said:
i'm reading a bloody stack of books, not all of them are good though

joseph ledoux - synaptic self (another of these cognitive science books, i'm lashing them into me these days.. so far this wouldn't be one of my favourites)

some dude - a history of the mind (ditto)

david mamet - oleanna (deadly, have a tutorial on it tomorrow, hopefully it'll provoke as much argument as harold pinter did)

charles dickens - bleak house (i hope to have this read by my exams. but it's soooo looooong)

shakespeare - richard II (i don't like his history plays at all, but it's a pretty important bit of one of my courses)

alice walker - the colour purple (will have to finish it before i pass comment)

tennessee williams - a streetcar named desire (so far, so good).

god i love books.

tennessee williams rules.
i'm reading last exit to brooklyn, it's great.
before that, a very average japanese crime thriller

Super Dexta said:

pshaw, the history plays ROCK!

minka (who did an entire fourth year englsih course on them, because she is like that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back