anybody reading anything good? (2 Viewers)

Jimmy Magee said:
Ono me favourite writers...not just the concentration camp stuff either, it's all good - although the camp stuff does take up a lot of his ouevre. He manages to make the most mundane things seem somehow beautiful. Having said that, If This.. was equally great at conveying the absolute horror of the place, making you realise that these were just normal people like yourself in this dreadful hell...um, see, that's why he's a great writer and I'm not. (As an aside, I thought the Pianist the flim also captured this excellently, by showing us some normal life before the descent of the madness). Also he comes across very measured and in no way hysterically full of hatred and so on...blah blah blah. Anyway, everyone should read these books (and they make a neat pair)

If this is a Man is a truly amazing book.

The book of Pianist (I believe it was originally called Death of a City and was banned in Poland for years as it pointed out that there were good and bad on each side) is the closest book to film translation I have seen. I spotted one or two differences in the film and that was it.

spiritualtramp said:
The book of Pianist (I believe it was originally called Death of a City and was banned in Poland for years as it pointed out that there were good and bad on each side) is the closest book to film translation I have seen. I spotted one or two differences in the film and that was it.
Is't any good? Sounds it

FancyGoods said:
Reading The Third Policeman by Flann O'brien.
Keeping me interested so far.

he's my favourite writer...a genius. a far better writer than Joyce.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Magee
Ono me favourite writers...not just the concentration camp stuff either, it's all good - although the camp stuff does take up a lot of his ouevre. He manages to make the most mundane things seem somehow beautiful. Having said that, If This.. was equally great at conveying the absolute horror of the place, making you realise that these were just normal people like yourself in this dreadful hell...um, see, that's why he's a great writer and I'm not. (As an aside, I thought the Pianist the flim also captured this excellently, by showing us some normal life before the descent of the madness). Also he comes across very measured and in no way hysterically full of hatred and so on...blah blah blah. Anyway, everyone should read these books (and they make a neat pair)

These are the only books I've read by him but I'm definitely reading more. What would you recommend ? Didnt he write a story called the sixth day...is this the Arnold Schwarzeneger Sixth Day ?

FancyGoods said:

i lovelovelove that book. it's the combination of hilariousness and creepy weirdness that does it.

and the ending is BRILLIANT (i will say no more).

minka said:
i lovelovelove that book. it's the combination of hilariousness and creepy weirdness that does it.

and the ending is BRILLIANT (i will say no more).

gah, the copy i was reading fell apart before i could finish it. Or was that the poor mouth? hmm. I think actually someone in work stole the third policeman off me before i finished. I think Im destined to never finish one of his books.

FancyGoods said:

I love this book. I wish I was you, reading it for the first time. I much prefer it to At Swim Two Birds, porbably because its funnier. Poor Mouth is worth a read as well.

hugh said:
I love this book. I wish I was you, reading it for the first time. I much prefer it to At Swim Two Birds, porbably because its funnier. Poor Mouth is worth a read as well.

An Beal Bocht is a classic alright. I love the bit where they have to ceili 'til they drop

i'm still reading bloody bleak house. and also a buke about orgasms. and another of them cognitive science ones. i've also been on page 3 of richard ii for the last two weeks. down with the history plays.

FancyGoods said:

Tis truly great, ay. Was just rereading some of the Best Of Myles stuff, i.e., his collected Times writings etc. GREAT section on the Irish language. I was actually in pain laughing. That hasnt' happened in a while.

Read At Swim-Two-Birds before, found a few bits funny but didn't get a lot of it (the Fianna parodies and suchlike were just really boring). Should I therefore avoid the Third Policeman?

In the middle of "Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" by Lester Bangs.Its a collection of some of his writings and has an amazing chapter about The Stooges.He just describes their music perfectly

P. Littbarski said:
he's my favourite writer...a genius. a far better writer than Joyce.

These are the only books I've read by him but I'm definitely reading more. What would you recommend ? Didnt he write a story called the sixth day...is this the Arnold Schwarzeneger Sixth Day ?
Dunno...I doubt it. Periodic Table's quite good, although not as good as the two you've read. I also read The Drowned and the Save, which is again about the camp...tis grate altogether also (it's more him mulling on what to make of the whole thing, rather than describing it a la If This Is...)

currently reading this:

p1670924dt.jpg

deadly. very funny AND very educational too.

Jimmy Magee said:
Read At Swim-Two-Birds before, found a few bits funny but didn't get a lot of it (the Fianna parodies and suchlike were just really boring). Should I therefore avoid the Third Policeman?

At Swim-Two-Birds is fairly patchy alright, the Third Policeman is solid gold though. Not reading the Third Policeman because you weren't too impressed with At Swim-Two-Birds would be like not watchng the Princess Bride just becauseRob Reiner also made the Story of Us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back