anybody reading anything good? (1 Viewer)

Just finished bad Dirt by Annie proulx. Not her best bunch of short stories- she's turning into the Wyoming John B Keane. Still and all, a pleasant way to pass the time.

Read 'Tuesdays with Morrie' on sunday in two sittings. It's an easy read - very touching in a wise smelly old man way.

Super Dexta said:
mmmricharddawkinsmmm.
he's my steven pinker for my twenties. reading 'a devil's chaplain' at the moment, it's only the brilliant.

If you haven't read it already, I recommend River Out Of Eden, Climbing Mount Improbable and Unweaving The Rainbow.

Also, The Blind Watchmaker.

So, what I'm basically saying, is that all his books are brilliant.

Reading the autobiography by Gabriel Garcia Marquez- I think it's called "Living to tell the tale".

So far it's deadly, all about his extended fambly and their shabby genteel life in this crumbling Columbian ghost town. If you like his stuff, you know the territory.

I've just started To Kill a Mocking Bird in the expectation that it will become one of my top 5 books.

Incidentally, my current fave top 5 - in no particular order - are (this is a 'favourite' list not a claim to be the best books of all time as there are many great books I've not read):

Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
Tortilla Flat (Steinbeck)
The Plague (Camus)
Don Quixote (Cervantes)
Ham on Rye (Buckowski)

Having typed that list, I'm not sure how representative it is, as it's mostly books I've read over the last coupla years.

(Note: This is a tacit invitation to submit your own top 5)

Just finished Stone Junction by Jim Dodge- great book, slightly fucked up at times but hey. At the moment I'm trying to read three books at once: The Illumintas Trilogy, 924 Gilman, and the book that I carry with me at all times (I've read it too many times) -The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Everyone should read this book.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
Tortilla Flat (Steinbeck)
The Plague (Camus)
Don Quixote (Cervantes)
Ham on Rye (Buckowski)

All of these books are available on www.booksivepretendedtohavereadbutactuallyhavent.com

;)

My top 5 would be;
The World According To Garp (John Irving)
The Secret History (Donna Tartt)
Snow Falling On Cedars (David Guterson)
To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
The Palace Thief (Ethan Canin)

These 5 would more than likely be different if I did this list tomorrow.

I wanted to put in The Watchmen and From Hell by Alan Moore but kept it to regular novels.

Wilbert said:
If you haven't read it already, I recommend River Out Of Eden, Climbing Mount Improbable and Unweaving The Rainbow.

Also, The Blind Watchmaker.

So, what I'm basically saying, is that all his books are brilliant.
yeah, I definitely intend to read more of his stuff as soon as i can get around to it. Read The Blind Watchmaker last summer and loved it. mmmm evolution. mmmm.

Here, can somebody (or better yet, the lot of ye) explain why they like The Secret History? I read it because everyone, even my ma, was saying how great it was, and all I got out of it was that students do silly things. Yeah I enjoyed reading it, but in the same kind of throwaway way that I enjoy reading Marian Keyes.

Super Dexta said:
Here, can somebody (or better yet, the lot of ye) explain why they like The Secret History? I read it because everyone, even my ma, was saying how great it was, and all I got out of it was that students do silly things. Yeah I enjoyed reading it, but in the same kind of throwaway way that I enjoy reading Marian Keyes.

I imagine it is a better written book than anything Keyes has written. Can't say for sure because (not being a burd) I've never read her books.

I really liked The Secret History because Donna Tartt made no effort to make the characters in any way likeable. I liked the setting and I loved the way it was a really tragic and (in places) scary story.

But thats me.

What do I know?

$nakybu$ said:
I thought you only read X-Men and the Onion, Wil

I don't read X-Men or the like at all and I have one book of onion stuff. Y'know Mike, sometimes I think you don't know me at all. :confused:
But then I realise that you know too much! :eek:
Then I realise you are a notorious gossip! :eek: :mad:
Then I go to sleep. !zed
Where I'm a ninja. !ninjaaaa

I be currently reading Ripley's Game by Patricia Highsmith. The Ripley novels (on the basis of The Talented Mr Ripley and the first half of this) are ripping yarns altogether, but nicely written and with good psychology and most of all a delightfully entertaining psychopath at the core. Everyone should read them.

I've just started a HG Wells anthology that my friend got me for my bithday many moons ago.. five books in one so it's one of those impossible to carry around fuckers. It's great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back