1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Roy Harper fans here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Shaney?, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Shaney?

Shaney? Well-Known Member Supporter

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    Check This Out!!!

http://www.mistlethrush.co.uk/stormcock/news.htm

I heard "the death of god" last year at one his clonaklity gigs and it was a stormer, although well over 10mins long I'd say. Long single... I doubt he'll have to worry about chopping it for top of the pops anyway.

Prob wont be able to buy it here:(

2. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2001
    Ratings:
    +2,979 / 13 / -0
    probably not indeed.
    only know a few songs. Another Day obviously.
    any recommended LPs?

3. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    Ahh! I long for questions like that.

the best and most succinct answer i can give is "all of them", however my personal favorite is HQ. It is a masterpiece with only one slightly dodge song on it and the best ever song (hallucinating light). stormcock, lifemask, flat baroque and berserk, jugula, bullinamingvase (a friend of my said this made him feel dead inside), the unknown soldier and born in captivity are all mighty too. In fact any of his albums will be worth the money for the few classics that they all contain. They all (except HQ) have dodgy songs too but thats partof his charm.

most people dont seem to like his 80's albums as theyre quite 80s but I love them. I'd say his new album will be deadly based on the new songs he played in clonakilty last summer. This year sold out and I didnt get a ticket:( :mad: :eek: :confused: !bog

why not visit his site!

4. czar

czar New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    'stormcock' is generally regarded as a classic (one of three i have)

he's quite a guy (and storyteller), i did a documentary on him last year for radio, got some great tales and lovely acoustic tracks

those shows in de barras last summer were going to be edited and are due out on dvd this year

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    Really?!
    what radio station was it for? Any chance of a copy? no worries though...

6. czar

czar New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    for the green room on 96fm

have it on mini-disk, will see what i can do

7. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    theres quite a nice short interview with roy up on the bbc site at the moment, probably til next week, click here and press listen again, then click 15mins twice. the roy bit starts about 32 mins in. he talks about bumming around on a beach in west cork for two weeks in the early 70s.

the death of god single was a bit of a disappointment, the dvd is nearly ready!! thank god i just ordered a dvd player.

http://www.royharper.co.uk/shop/contents/image.php?sizex=&sizey=&image%5B0%5D=../images/products/beyond.jpg&

8. nlgbbbblth

Aug 22, 2001
    Ratings:
    +2,979 / 13 / -0
    here Shaney
    since you started this thread I have picked up a few Roy Harper LPs.

Any idea what this set is like?

see Stormcock is remastered (again?) - no extra tracks but a 20 page booklet.

9. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    how am i still logged in?

dont have any of those actually, maybe for christmas....

im not sure if i'll go for the stormcock reissue or not, i have it on cd and vinyl already and, 10 years later, im still annoyed that the notes on cd say that a future edition will contain expanded notes as though im automatically going to buy any new reissue of albums i already bought. the notes for my copy of death or glory say that the drums on the fourth world will be rerecorded because they werent up to scratch so im not buying that either, he should have just waited til they were done properly before putting out the album.

theres more notes on stormcock than you'll ever need on the latest two blog entries on his myspace with more to come apparently.

he doesnt like bonus tracks, he reckons they ruin the album. he did put some on the first cd reissues but took them off subsequent pressings

10. nlgbbbblth

Aug 22, 2001
    Ratings:
    +2,979 / 13 / -0
    I have Flat Baroque And Berserk on CD, the reissue of which is copyrighted 1997.

I see two versions on Amazon for sale - the 1997 one is out of print, but there is one from 2004 available. Is there a difference in sound quality I wonder? A lot of his CDs seem to have a 2004 date on them.

11. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    i havent a clue, he probably repressed them in 2004 but im not sure. if you emailed you'd probably get a reply. some deadly tunes on that album

12. nlgbbbblth

Aug 22, 2001
    Ratings:
    +2,979 / 13 / -0
    yeah, it's a great album. Find new things in it each time I play it.
    will try and mail them, cheers.

13. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    i meant if you emailed roy himself on the website, most likely the missus would get back to you.

have you got hq? i love that one

14. nlgbbbblth

Aug 22, 2001
    Ratings:
    +2,979 / 13 / -0
    just sent them a mail now!

yes, got HQ last Christmas. Excellent especially the first side. Love The Game.

15. GO

GO Now Is Go Supporter

Sep 9, 2006
    Ratings:
    +6,176 / 68 / -0
    I'm going thru a bit of a Roy Harper renaissance this weekend,prolly cos I'm sick and want something mellow.
    I'm listening to my Stormcock vinyl right now.Blows my mind.
    Also spun Flat Barouqe,Valentine and Hq as well today.
    Have'nt listened to his '80's stuff,in fact looking at his wikipedia page I've not heard most of his post '70's material.
    Whats a good '80's lp to check out.

This is sweet...

16. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    Whatever Happened to Jugula? from 1985 is excellent, up there with his best although rougher around the edges, less catchy and less beatifully arranged than the 70s stuff. Once from 1990 is also very strong, Death Or Glory? from 1992 or 1992 is also one of his finest but patchy and quite scrappy and miserable - his wife had just left him for nigel kennedy.

17. GO

GO Now Is Go Supporter

Sep 9, 2006
    Ratings:
    +6,176 / 68 / -0
    Mad.

Nice one Shaney.I'm on the case.

18. nlgbbbblth

Aug 22, 2001
    Ratings:
    +2,979 / 13 / -0
    One year later and still waiting for a reply.

19. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    hes been ill the last year with prostate cancer, on the mend now though apparently.

20. Shaney?

Sep 8, 2003
    Ratings:
    +4,689 / 218 / -0
    currently listening - Lifemask

[​IMG]

deadly album. The Lords Prayer is probably jimmy pages finest moment, it also might be one of the best drumming songs of all 20+ minute songs that have hardly any drumming at all. the little chord change that leads into the drumming bits is killer, especially the second time when you know they're going to slay. this song might be where the miles davis influence comes through. JP was wasted in Led Zeppelin in fairness.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted