Any Roy Harper fans here? (1 Viewer)

Miss Piggy said:
Check This Out!!!

http://www.mistlethrush.co.uk/stormcock/news.htm

I heard "the death of god" last year at one his clonaklity gigs and it was a stormer, although well over 10mins long I'd say. Long single... I doubt he'll have to worry about chopping it for top of the pops anyway.

Prob wont be able to buy it here:(

probably not indeed.
only know a few songs. Another Day obviously.
any recommended LPs?

nlgbbbblth said:
probably not indeed.
only know a few songs. Another Day obviously.
any recommended LPs?

Ahh! I long for questions like that.

the best and most succinct answer i can give is "all of them", however my personal favorite is HQ. It is a masterpiece with only one slightly dodge song on it and the best ever song (hallucinating light). stormcock, lifemask, flat baroque and berserk, jugula, bullinamingvase (a friend of my said this made him feel dead inside), the unknown soldier and born in captivity are all mighty too. In fact any of his albums will be worth the money for the few classics that they all contain. They all (except HQ) have dodgy songs too but thats partof his charm.

most people dont seem to like his 80's albums as theyre quite 80s but I love them. I'd say his new album will be deadly based on the new songs he played in clonakilty last summer. This year sold out and I didnt get a ticket:( :mad: :eek: :confused: !bog

why not visit his site!

'stormcock' is generally regarded as a classic (one of three i have)

he's quite a guy (and storyteller), i did a documentary on him last year for radio, got some great tales and lovely acoustic tracks

those shows in de barras last summer were going to be edited and are due out on dvd this year

czar said:
'stormcock' is generally regarded as a classic (one of three i have)

he's quite a guy (and storyteller), i did a documentary on him last year for radio, got some great tales and lovely acoustic tracks

those shows in de barras last summer were going to be edited and are due out on dvd this year

Really?!
what radio station was it for? Any chance of a copy? no worries though...

for the green room on 96fm

have it on mini-disk, will see what i can do

theres quite a nice short interview with roy up on the bbc site at the moment, probably til next week, click here and press listen again, then click 15mins twice. the roy bit starts about 32 mins in. he talks about bumming around on a beach in west cork for two weeks in the early 70s.

the death of god single was a bit of a disappointment, the dvd is nearly ready!! thank god i just ordered a dvd player.

http://www.royharper.co.uk/shop/contents/image.php?sizex=&sizey=&image%5B0%5D=../images/products/beyond.jpg&

how am i still logged in?

dont have any of those actually, maybe for christmas....

im not sure if i'll go for the stormcock reissue or not, i have it on cd and vinyl already and, 10 years later, im still annoyed that the notes on cd say that a future edition will contain expanded notes as though im automatically going to buy any new reissue of albums i already bought. the notes for my copy of death or glory say that the drums on the fourth world will be rerecorded because they werent up to scratch so im not buying that either, he should have just waited til they were done properly before putting out the album.

theres more notes on stormcock than you'll ever need on the latest two blog entries on his myspace with more to come apparently.

he doesnt like bonus tracks, he reckons they ruin the album. he did put some on the first cd reissues but took them off subsequent pressings

I'm going thru a bit of a Roy Harper renaissance this weekend,prolly cos I'm sick and want something mellow.
I'm listening to my Stormcock vinyl right now.Blows my mind.
Also spun Flat Barouqe,Valentine and Hq as well today.
Have'nt listened to his '80's stuff,in fact looking at his wikipedia page I've not heard most of his post '70's material.
Whats a good '80's lp to check out.

This is sweet...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Whatever Happened to Jugula? from 1985 is excellent, up there with his best although rougher around the edges, less catchy and less beatifully arranged than the 70s stuff. Once from 1990 is also very strong, Death Or Glory? from 1992 or 1992 is also one of his finest but patchy and quite scrappy and miserable - his wife had just left him for nigel kennedy.

Whatever Happened to Jugula? from 1985 is excellent, up there with his best although rougher around the edges, less catchy and less beatifully arranged than the 70s stuff. Once from 1990 is also very strong, Death Or Glory? from 1992 or 1992 is also one of his finest but patchy and quite scrappy and miserable - his wife had just left him for nigel kennedy.

Mad.

Nice one Shaney.I'm on the case.

currently listening - Lifemask

Lifemask.jpg

deadly album. The Lords Prayer is probably jimmy pages finest moment, it also might be one of the best drumming songs of all 20+ minute songs that have hardly any drumming at all. the little chord change that leads into the drumming bits is killer, especially the second time when you know they're going to slay. this song might be where the miles davis influence comes through. JP was wasted in Led Zeppelin in fairness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back