Githead (Colin Newman, Scanner etc) Irish dates (1 Viewer)

PUSH PROMOTION

Howdi. This will be a great night of music from the front man of the legendary Wire (Colin Newman), Scanner and half of Minimal Compact. Musically they're somewhere between PiL and Wire (154 etc.) with a funky edge and their debut album 'Profile' is receiving some great reviews - please see below. For any Franz fans, NME have described Colin as their musical godfather. Indeed Colin Newman / Wire have been major influences on many acts from U2 to Aphex Twin, REM to Fischerspoon, not to mention the current eighties revival bands. Check out www.githead.co.uk. Tickets from www.tickets.ie, Talk and Surf, Road, Freebird, City Discs and Sound Cellar for the Dublin show. Cheers.

Githead are Colin Newman (Wire), Robin Rimbaud (Scanner), Malka Spigel (Minimal Compact) and Max Franken (Minimal Compact)
Githead play two Irish dates as part of the forthcoming European Tour. The Sugar Club, Dublin on Sunday 25th September 2005 and An Cruiscin Lan, Cork on Monday 26th September 2005.

The appearance of Githead and the release of their debut EP Headgit in 2004 surprised many, not only because of the unlikely 'front line' of Wire's Colin Newman (guitar/vocals), Minimal Compact's Malka Spigel (bass, vocals) and Scanner's Robin Rimbaud (guitar), but also due to the band's cyclic, hypnotic funkiness, not to mention the outfit's avant-pop sensibility.

The band's genesis was in the proverbial 'one off' as part of the celebrations of Swim's 10th anniversary, but it quickly became apparent that the band was more than a mere collection of individuals and that it was able to generate its own style with an ease that escapes many better-starred collaborations.

Initially 'drummerless', the band wrote and rehearsed in Swim's otherwise over-cramped studio from the outset, thus guaranteeing that all outbreaks of creative genius could be instantly recorded. This meant that as well as building up a repertoire, the band was also recording towards an end of released material, and subsequently able to fairly rapidly develop enough finished material to enable selections to be made for release.

Thus the debut EP Headgit was released before the band had played its third gig, and material towards the debut album Profile was already in the works before the band had even played two gigs!

The first three shows were performed without a live drummer, but it had always been the band's intention to be able play with live drums. Various applicants were considered, but in the end it was perhaps inevitable that Max Franken from Malka's band Minimal Compact would be the man to fill the drum stool.

Please see individual boigs below.

"Profile is the album of the year so far. Genius." - Dean Thatcher, Mixmag Update (UK)

"Arrangements that pit Newman and Rimbaud's guitars in combinations of jangly arpeggios, sheets of distortion, choppy rhythm licks and steely lead lines, all anchored by Spigel's loping Wobble-esque dub basslines and at times brutal drum-machine beats. The results cohere into a sonic juggernaut." - Andy Gill, The Independent

"What you get here though is a set of songs that simply demand to be played to death. And the more you play it, the more you love it! A great album." - Andrew Cowen, Birmingham Post

"This album finds the band making something of a quantum leap, especially in the manner in which the music is delivered... It's as if the band is its own entity and it's somehow grown up. While Profile is hardly the most deadly serious of records, it's certainly more mature than the band's debut: the arrangements are tighter, the mix is better, and the continually weaving mesh of instruments weaves its way further into your brain." - Craig Grannell, Wireviews

"This first collection of immediate classics conceals treasures of melodic grace and sharply cut efficiency." - Nicolas Julliard, Le Temps (Switzerland)

"Robin Rimbaud (Scanner), Colin Newman (Wire) and Malka Spigel (Minimal Compact) make a debut with a first album so modern that it's scary." - David Saavedra, El Mundo (Spain)

"Profile is a more fully realized exploration of the interface between organic and electronic musics that shows Githead expanding its range and developing a distinctive sound... It's catchy without being vacuous, intelligent without being too clever for its own good." - Wilson Neate, Trouser Press

"Githead are a hipper than thou super group comprising Robin Rimbaud from Scanner, Colin Newman from Wire and Malka Spigel from Minimal Compact. What sounds quite serious on paper translates to accessible but unusual music. The key to all this is Malka Spigel’s basslines, which undulate with a strange sonorous funk that invokes Jah Wobble at his best. The guitars of Wire are also conjured up, but with a more melodious tint. Cosmology For Beginners is as spacey as it sounds, and the whole album hums with a weird punk-funk that seems to inhabit a dimension slightly different to our own." - Ben Murphy, DJ magazine

Check out www.githead.co.uk

Colin Newman - Colin Newman is probably most widely known as the frontman/tunesmith of the art/rock band Wire, who through three incarnations in the 1970s, 1980s and 2000s have trashed as many genres as they have created, ranging from the austere future punk of their 1977 debut Pink Flag to the heavy-metal-dancefloor of their most recent opus Send (2003), passing through many colours of twisted pop, avant psychedelia and techno throb along the way. The list of bands Wire have influenced is long and diverse, and ranges from U2 to Elastica to Aphex Twin, from REM to Fisherspooner to Liars.

As well as his involvement with Wire, Colin has also worked on many other projects. He has made six solo albums, and produced, remixed or arranged music for The Virgin Prunes, Minimal Compact, French megastar Alain Bashung, Hawkwind, Dead Man Ray and Silo. In addition to this, since the early 1990s he has run the groundbreaking Swim label with Malka Spigel, who is also his wife. The pair have made many artistic collaborations, the best known of which is Immersion, although in fact any Swim-released work under either of their names is actually a collaboration. Swim has also released work by many other artists (often realised in Swim's studio), including: Lobe, Ronnie & Clyde, g-man, Silo, Symptoms, Akatombo, Toucaen, and, of course, Githead!

Robin Rimbaud - British artist Robin Rimbaud, known also as Scanner, traverses the experimental terrain between sound, space, image and form, creating absorbing, multi-layered sound pieces that twist technology in unconventional ways. Curiously, having played guitar since he was a teenager, Githead is his first opportunity to voice this unrecognised talent in the public sphere, eschewing electronics for six strings and an amp.

As well as producing compositions and audio CDs, his diverse body of work includes soundtracks for films, performances, radio and site-specific intermedia installations. He has performed and created works in many of the world's most prestigious spaces, including SFMOMA (USA), Hayward Gallery (London), Pompidou Centre (Paris), Kunsthalle (Vienna), Hanoi Opera House (Vietnam), Bolshoi Theatre (Moscow), Tate Modern (London) and the Royal Opera House (London).

Sampled by Björk and Aphex Twin, admired by Stockhausen, he's a frequent flyer whose works have taken him across the globe and back again. His projects continually seek to break new ground: in 1999 he performed Surface Noise on a London Bus around the city; in 2000 he performed over 20km of beach in Italy, on the public speaker system; he re-soundtracked Jean Luc Godard's seminal film Alphaville; he wrote the soundtrack to a working morgue in Paris in 2002; and he most notoriously played 16 concerts in just one evening with a series of lookalikes across the globe. In 2003, Robin became the first electronic artist to ever perform in Vietnam, and in 2004 he composed an alternative National Anthem for Europe, Europa 25, whilst his Sound Surface work was the first ever Tate Modern sound-art commission.

He doesn't drink alcohol, tea, coffee, smoke or watch TV, but he does have an addiction to white bread and milk, and has kept a diary every day since he was 12 years old, never missing a daily entry.

(Sorry. Couldn't fit all the biogs into 10000 characters.)

PUSH PROMOTION said:
Indeed Colin Newman / Wire have been major influences on many acts from U2 to Aphex Twin, REM to Fischerspoon,

How come none of the greatness of Wire rubbed off? Funny that. I love those early Wire records.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
PUSH PROMOTION said:
Indeed Colin Newman / Wire have been major influences on many acts from U2 to Aphex Twin, REM to Fischerspoon,

How come none of the greatness of Wire rubbed off? Funny that. I love those early Wire records.

you should check out fischerspooners version of the 15th. its actually amazing.

So has anyone else heard profile? Only given it the one listen, seems quite pleasant but a bit dull. Maybe I'm missing something, I normally do.

Stan Bowles said:
So has anyone else heard profile? Only given it the one listen, seems quite pleasant but a bit dull. Maybe I'm missing something, I normally do.

Yeah I bought it.
It's okay - reminds me of a cross between 'Kidney Bingo' era Wire and The Beautiful South :)
Although that description makes it sound worse than it actually is.

aoboa said:
Yeah I bought it.
It's okay - reminds me of a cross between 'Kidney Bingo' era Wire and The Beautiful South :)
Although that description makes it sound worse than it actually is.

I have it as well, and I tend to agree with both Neil & Alan. It's all right, but nothing particularly great.

Still, I'm slightly annoyed that I had to miss last night's gig, as I would have liked to see the band. And Barry seemed to think it was pretty good. How was the turnout?

Paul

photon said:
I have it as well, and I tend to agree with both Neil & Alan. It's all right, but nothing particularly great.

Still, I'm slightly annoyed that I had to miss last night's gig, as I would have liked to see the band. And Barry seemed to think it was pretty good. How was the turnout?

Paul

Got the album last night. It's pretty good, but live they were a lot better - some intense Wire-y rock-outs (in the least rock-out sense, of course). A mixture of 80's and 00's Wire would be a good comparison.

As for turnout, do you even need to ask? 50 or so I'd say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back