Any 'never nudes' on thumped? (1 Viewer)

Oh, I agree and I know better. I don't even read/buy these things. Sadly, I think I stay in so much because I feel so under dressed where ever I go here. Frankly, there is nothing I want to buy in the shops because I would prefer not to look like I just stepped out of a Pat Benatar video circa 1983. I am fighting a losing battle.

It's amazing. it's like hand-on-the-hot-stove shit. "Oh, this magazine won't make me feel bad. A peek wouldn't hurt." And then, "AAAAH! How could I be so negligent when it comes to fashion trends! I am so unstylish! Maybe it's because they don't make clothes for whales like me!" Then I recover, and it's, "Oh, ok, no I'm fine. I'm normal. It's cool...Hey look, a magazine! Shiny colours! This won't hurt a bit...." Repeat x 1000000.

The only high street shop I can really go into is H&M, and the one in Dublin tends to buy mostly rubbish. I tend to buy vintage stuff (despite how expensive it is here), or I shop when I'm abroad.

I don't wear a lot of makeup or spend much time on my hair or change my 'look' (I don't really have a 'look' anyway), so I frequently feel like a complete scuzzbucket, even when I do make the effort.

Its what you wear from ear to ear, and not from head to toe...that.... matt....ers..

annie.jpg

I don't wear a lot of makeup or spend much time on my hair or change my 'look' (I don't really have a 'look' anyway), so I frequently feel like a complete scuzzbucket, even when I do make the effort.

Sounds like me. I have basically reverted to dressing like a boy. Jeans, t-shirts and hoodies. It was on my mind this morning passing all these women on their way to work. Plus, I saw my reflection in one of those glass financial buildings and just wanted to go back home and crawl into bed. I hate when I get like this because it's so not me and so fucking unattractive. Nothing worse than a girl always complaining about the way she looks, moreover, not doing anything about it.

It brought to mind one of the worst things I have overheard about myself. I almost started a thread but I am not sure anyone here would be so self-absorbed to even bother to notice someone else talking about them. Hideousness at it's best.

Some child was in my way at the veg counter at Superquinn. 'Get out of that man's way' said the child's mammy.

I feel your pain.

Sounds like me. I have basically reverted to dressing like a boy. Jeans, t-shirts and hoodies. It was on my mind this morning passing all these women on their way to work. Plus, I saw my reflection in one of those glass financial buildings and just wanted to go back home and crawl into bed. I hate when I get like this because it's so not me and so fucking unattractive. Nothing worse than a girl always complaining about the way she looks, moreover, not doing anything about it.

It brought to mind one of the worst things I have overheard about myself. I almost started a thread but I am not sure anyone here would be so self-absorbed to even bother to notice someone else talking about them. Hideousness at it's best.

I always feel like such a cliche when I harp on about how gross I look. So then I feel like I'm vile to behold AND a cliche. And then I feel self-absorbed because, duh, how self-centred is it to assume that the rest of the world cares at all what I look like? So the whole thing becomes like this moebius strip of stupidity.

I do have a six-year old neighbour, though, and she sometimes knocks on my door just to tell me she thinks I'm lovely. More than once I've left my house, and she's gone, "Hi Jane, you're pretty." And I try my best to listen to six-year old girls who do things like go around knocking on doors saying nice things to grown-ups in case no one has said anything nice to them that day (she and her two little dude buddies actually did this one evening and I nearly cried). They are much better people than mean spirited grown ups who want to crush your spirit to make themselves feel better. Unfortunately, the mean-spirited grown ups have a way of asserting their meanness.

You can come down to my gaff and she'll make you feel happy, too. She seems to genuinely like human beings.

I still think six-year olds should run the world. The place'd be bit of a shambles, but isn't it kinda already? And at least with them, it'd be a fun shambles. It doesn't seem any stupider to use roller coasters as public transport than it does to have buses that never show up.

That said, I have been too old, too young, too fat (this was by a borderline anorexic who made a big deal about how she was able to fit through a fence and thus visit a site that a fatty like me wouldn't have a hope of seeing up close), too 'feminine', too ugly, and too, er 'not ugly' in my place of not-employed-being-trapped-not-liking-it. So basically, you can't really win so long as people make it their business to comment on your appearance. You're always too 'something' for someone.

this was by a borderline anorexic who made a big deal about how she was able to fit through a fence and thus visit a site that a fatty like me wouldn't have a hope of seeing up close

hahahahahahaha
was it in a zoo or something?

I'm sure you could just use the gate if it was a normal place

I've had the pleasure of meeting both of you ladies and I don't think that either of you should be worrying about your appearance.

I've suffered from psoriasis since I was a little kid so I guess I had to come to terms with being comfortable in my (flaky) skin pretty early on, even before puberty upped the stakes.

If I spent any time thinking about it, or comparing myself to others in a critical way, I would probably invest in a Burqa or never go out. :) Strangely enough, I found that when I stopped being consciously aware of the psoriasis other people didn't seem to notice it much either.

It is very sad that so many women, of all ages, are looking at photoshopped, airbrushed photographs and feeling that they don't measure up.

hahahahahahaha
was it in a zoo or something?

I'm sure you could just use the gate if it was a normal place

She genuinely seemed to want to make me feel bad. She said, "You see, I'm very slim." And pointed to her torso while looking me up and down, then went on to make a big deal about how it was only because she was so slim that she got to see the place.

It was really quite rude and stupid.

I could have used the gate or I could have injected her full of cake while she wasn't looking. But then, that would be less cake for me, and I like to eat most cakes myself, which brings me back the the point that she was quite right. She was very slim and there may be a connection between my love of sweets and the jiggly belly. However, more disgusting is that when I'm standing there feeling like a blob, I experience an acute failure to recognise that worrying about a jiggly belly is the ultimate fucking first world problem and I should be ashamed of myself for thinking it matters in the slightest.

Later, she stole a project from me and my photographs were published in an article she wrote. That was fun. I haven't seen the book, but I do know that my photos were rubbish. Not on purpose, I'm just a rubbish photographer but I was the only one who had uncopyrighted photos of a place. So I'm a rubbish academic who doesn't deserve her own project, a crap photographer, and I'm a fatty fat fat who is also fat fat fat.

I've had the pleasure of meeting both of you ladies and I don't think that either of you should be worrying about your appearance.

I've suffered from psoriasis since I was a little kid so I guess I had to come to terms with being comfortable in my (flaky) skin pretty early on, even before puberty upped the stakes.

If I spent any time thinking about it, or comparing myself to others in a critical way, I would probably invest in a Burqa or never go out. :) Strangely enough, I found that when I stopped being consciously aware of the psoriasis other people didn't seem to notice it much either.

It is very sad that so many women, of all ages, are looking at photoshopped, airbrushed photographs and feeling that they don't measure up.

I'm not trying to blow sunshine up your ass, and I think it's the general consensus anyway, but you're someone who springs to mind when I think about proper owning-your-looks beauty. Hayworth is also in the same category, but I think the point is that no matter how we look, if we allow ourselves to be judged or compare ourselves to others, we'll always end up feeling crap.

And what does that mean? That means maybe not eating apple crumble. And would I rather have jiggly belly and apple crumble? Or pefect belly and terrible fear of eating crumble? 75% of the time I take jiggle and crumble. 25% of the time I am a totally self-absorbed, self-loathing, body-hating jerk.

the point is that no matter how we look, if we allow ourselves to be judged or compare ourselves to others, we'll always end up feeling crap

See, this is the key point. We don't see ourselves as others do or as we see others anyway. When you're standing in front of the mirror scowling and jiggling the tiny bit of fat on your belly, and filled with thoughts of self-loating over a second helping of yummy cake, you're obviously not going to look at your best :D

When it comes to clothes I go with what I'm comfortable in and feel good in - which automatically rules out pretty much everything that has been fashionable in the last 10 years, but I don't care, because at least I won't spend the night trying to adjust my clothes.

See, this is the key point. We don't see ourselves as others do or as we see others anyway. When you're standing in front of the mirror scowling and jiggling the tiny bit of fat on your belly, and filled with thoughts of self-loating over a second helping of yummy cake, you're obviously not going to look at your best :D

When it comes to clothes I go with what I'm comfortable in and feel good in - which automatically rules out pretty much everything that has been fashionable in the last 10 years, but I don't care, because at least I won't spend the night trying to adjust my clothes.

Exactly. It's so rare that I would ever think a person is ugly because it doesn't really cross my mind to make that sort of appearance-based judgement. Most of the people I hang around with would be the same.

I did go out with a couple of total body fascists, though, and even though they didn't do it deliberately, there was always this attitude that they were kinda slumming it. And their definitions of attractiveness seemed a little too reliant on skinniness. Like, if a woman was absolutely skeletal, she was hot, and it was made very clear that I was far from the body ideal. One of them spotted a picture of me in which I was somewhat larger than I am now, and told me he'd never go out with someone that fat.

You can come down to my gaff and she'll make you feel happy, too. She seems to genuinely like human beings.

I was in Kilkenny over the weekend and a friend's daughter (13) told me I was the prettiest girl she'd ever seen. Crap no doubt but it made me reevaluate my stance on children. ;)

Last year I attend a house party. The people were moving out because they bought a house so they threw one last brouhaha in the old place. I had only met these people a handful of times and they tend to end up in places like Coppers or D2 at the end of most sessions. So I knew logically speaking that it shouldn't bother me.

It was early in the evening and there were only two girls there and the rest guys. One girl named, lets say, Carrie (who is like 5 foot 2 and 100 pounds at best) and myself. I was in the bathroom right off the entry way and there was a knock on the door. The conversation went like this:

Guy at party: [opens door] Hey any girls with you?
Guy at door: no, why? How many here?
Guy at party: 2 1/2..... Carrie and [insert name here]'s bird.

Me in bathroom wondering, does that make me 2 people and Carrie the 1/2 because she is so tiny. Or is she a person and I am fat enough to be consider 1 1/2 people? I 'd like to be optimistic but I think it meant I was fatty, fat, fat hence 2 people.

Exactly. It's so rare that I would ever think a person is ugly because it doesn't really cross my mind to make that sort of appearance-based judgement. Most of the people I hang around with would be the same.

I did go out with a couple of total body fascists, though, and even though they didn't do it deliberately, there was always this attitude that they were kinda slumming it. And their definitions of attractiveness seemed a little too reliant on skinniness. Like, if a woman was absolutely skeletal, she was hot, and it was made very clear that I was far from the body ideal. One of them spotted a picture of me in which I was somewhat larger than I am now, and told me he'd never go out with someone that fat.

Wow! I'm glad that I don't have any friends who are that superficial, or if I do that I'm not aware of it. If it is any comfort I firmly believe the the type of people who get off on making their 'friends' feel that they don't measure up are probably the ones who most struggle with their own body-image and self-confidence, and are more to be pitied than listened to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back