COME ON IRELAND (1 Viewer)

I don't buy the whole "you can't just walk into international management after being a player" argument that Dunphy is putting forward (although I do love the man and his rants).

Rijkaard, Van Basten and Klinnsman have done it. Others have too, albeit less successfully. Stan was a brilliant player, but it seems he's not able/ready to manage the Irish team. The loss to Cyprus and the San Marino game are enough to set that fact in stone. Nobody thinks we're going to start strolling through qualification with another manager, but we do need someone who is quite simply "better" than Stan. If poor old Bobby Robson hadn't fallen ill, we would probably still be in the fight for 2nd place - perhaps even battling Germany for the top spot. But for a number of reasons, the chance the FAI took on Stan hasn't worked out. We need a change!

I don't buy the whole "you can't just walk into international management after being a player" argument that Dunphy is putting forward (although I do love the man and his rants).

Rijkaard, Van Basten and Klinnsman have done it.

i agree with dunphy..

Rijkaard and Van Basten at least had some managerial experience, although not at the highest level, before they started. (one as a coach for holland, the other managing the ajax b team or something)

Stan wasn't a brilliant player.

A wholehearted, reliable one, but not brilliant. I don't think he'd command the respect of players like Van Basten, Kilnnsman or Rijkaard would. If you being that kind of aura of greatness, that's half the battle. Stan never even had that.

It's a lot easier when you're working with the quality those guys have available.

true...plus the DFB and the KNVB are fare superior organisations to the fai. when you have someone of Matthias Sammers calibre working as your technical director, working with the national manager on tactics and implementing the latest scientific breakthroughs, its going to pay off.

who do we have adivising stan...bobby robson. the FAI are living in the past

The Giles\Brady\Dunphy postmatch postmortem:
http://rte.ie/sport/2007/0912/soccer_av.html

Entertaining, and mostly correct I think, though Dunphy overestimates our young players. Liam Brady's more correct in saying that we have half-a-dozen decent and promising but not world class players coming through. Plus it's funny to hear Dunphy say he's "sick of the Mick McCarthys, the Brian Kerrs, the Steve Stauntons".. I remember him when Kerr was appointed saying that he was overjoyed that we finally had the right man in the job. I guess whoever comes after Staunton gets 2 or 3 matches before the grass is always greener on the other side again.

Agreed, some really good points were made about the state of Irish football, but that was also the funniest shit I've ever seen on the RTE football show. Well done Dunphy.

The Giles\Brady\Dunphy postmatch postmortem:
http://rte.ie/sport/2007/0912/soccer_av.html

Entertaining, and mostly correct I think, though Dunphy overestimates our young players. Liam Brady's more correct in saying that we have half-a-dozen decent and promising but not world class players coming through. Plus it's funny to hear Dunphy say he's "sick of the Mick McCarthys, the Brian Kerrs, the Steve Stauntons".. I remember him when Kerr was appointed saying that he was overjoyed that we finally had the right man in the job. I guess whoever comes after Staunton gets 2 or 3 matches before the grass is always greener on the other side again.

saw this line up on another site.

Grim.

Paddy Kenny

Alex Bruce - Alan Kernaghan - Liam Daish - Garry Waddock

John Byrne - Jay Tabb - Graham Barrett - Bernie Slaven.

John Goodman - Jon Macken

Jay Tabb is a handy little player. Bernie Slaven is a god in Middlesborough.

Actually, that lot would probably beat our current Stan-managed team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back