COME ON IRELAND (2 Viewers)

Dunphy is kidding himself in talking up the current batch of young mediocrities. Hunt lacks pace and awareness; dunphy was embarrassing in the way he was trying to pass off three weak moves by hunt as moments of class at half time. Hunt was unlucky with the red card all right, but those tackles get reds cards often enough. Long, kelly and McGeady look poor too.

The standard of passing was appalling throughout from ireland. That's not management, that's just lack of quality.

that was some impassioned stuff from dunphy.

"i've got the boot from jobs - 15 weeks, out the door. I didn't cry about it!"

classic.

the only difference with hunt is he actually attepmts to attack the team. you look at player like keane and kilbane who are in the game far longer dont have a clue what to do with it. I think keane made one good attacking run and was found with a nice pass by reid. kelly is only there out because there was no one else. there is a good batch of players there but we lack some key players. I think people need to quit thinking mcshane is a class player. He is average at best. yes the standard of play is not down to management but the players who step on the pitch are chosen by him! players played out of position and some should never have been picked!

The standard of passing was appalling throughout from ireland. That's not management, that's just lack of quality.

I honestly think it's a combination of bad management and poor players. Some of the guys out there weren't fit to wear the shirt. But we've got the players to be a half decent outfit - sadly we're a million miles away from that standard.

Stan just said "we're in a building phase and it's coming along nicely".

Oh no.... No, no, no.

We were giving the ball away after two passes, which is unforgivable at any level. I don't see that there was much quality coming on from the bench either so i don't think it's down to selection. I think Stan is a bad manager, and I'd be glad to see him go provided there is money in the kitty to attract an experienced international manager, but these players have really got to raise their game. The back four did well enough, but the midefield was too deep; the wingers unable to involve themselves in the game; and keane should have dropped behind doyle when we were under pressure.

Depressing evening, yet again.. We were unlucky not to get the draw tonight (Hunt's sending off was ridiculous and we had more chances & posession than them in the last 10 mins of the first half and most of the second, even if it was men vs boys for the first half an hour) but Staunton's had his chance, he should stand down at the end of the campaign, if they can find a decent replacement in the interim (I'm inclined to think he'll neither quit nor be fired, though).. It's damning that our performance improved so much only when the changes that pretty much everybody else was suggesting he made to the team were forced into action through injuries. Looking at Scotland (top of a group with Italy and France!) and Northern Ireland's recent form (until this week anyway, heh) other mid-level European teams with squads comparable to ours are doing very well with good organisation.. if we were getting the best out of our available players we should've breezed through this group, or at least mounted a very strong challenge. I feel sorry for Richard Dunne, Shay Given & the other handful of players who always put in a decent effort for us, they must feel like they're wasting their time at this stage.

You think the reason Staunton plays players out of position is that he's got some gripe with John Giles?

"You play your best players in their best positions? I'll show you Gilesy."

I hate him.

102 caps for Ireland.

Never let us down on the pitch as far as I remember.

All gone.

1. We played shit on Wednesday.

2. We put out the same team (except for the 1 forced change due to Stephen Ireland's granny dying)

3. We played shit on Saturday.

Anyone else see this coming?

Awful typical stuff. How come other mediocre teams can pull it out of the bag and we never can?

That guy Kelly is awful left or right back. McShane had a stinker, as did Keane, Kilbane but my God Richard Dunne is a fine player at last.

I never thought we'd qualify just a pity ieasily could have so easily been proven wrong with some proper organisation. Steve Staunton has to go unless he's a commie! Nobody wants him to stay, feel sorry for the twat, wrecking his legend on field with this debacle.

You think the reason Staunton plays players out of position is that he's got some gripe with John Giles?

"You play your best players in their best positions? I'll show you Gilesy."

Makes as much sense as any other explanation. He obviously doesn't come from the John Giles school of tactics.

He won't leave or be fired. But if he did, who else would you have in?
I doubt we'd get Hiddink.

That's the problem.. if Stan were to announce his resignation tomorrow who'd take over? The only realistic suggestions I've heard people make are former players like David O'Leary and John Aldridge, or else people whose management careers tailed off a few years back like Ron Atkinson or Kenny Dalglish.. they'd probably do better than Stan but aren't exactly the sort of propositions to set your pulse racing. There must be some decent option out there who actually wants the job & would be willing to accept the 'modest' salary etc but I wouldn't be overly confident of the FAI's ability to find the right person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back