Ireland (3 Viewers)

Americans losing it because they don't understand the "Mayo for Sam" reference. Most think the doddery old man said "mail for Sam" in a senior moment. Others think it's a coded pro IRA anti English reference.

This fucking planet.

Really? I think we're twice as bad. Had two English people at a family gathering recently and was cringing at all the remarks about the Brits (not directed at the people there, just general giving out about the Brits in general)

That’s because they persecuted us. It really wasn’t that long ago that it happened. And it was still happening up the north to nationalists until even more recently.
normal enough reaction. Maybe banging on about it is a bit cringey. ‘Oh you’re here again, let me remind you of the suffering you lot caused us as a country’ kind of talk brings families together sure. I don’t think it’s an outrageous reaction

Ah I'm not saying it's outrageous, it's just a bit cringey sometimes when you have English people at the dinner table, and I'm sure it's uncomfortable for them. It's not their fault their ancestors shat on ours (and in fairness their ancestors probably got shat on by the English upper classes too)

Ah I'm not saying it's outrageous, it's just a bit cringey sometimes when you have English people at the dinner table, and I'm sure it's uncomfortable for them. It's not their fault their ancestors shat on ours (and in fairness their ancestors probably got shat on by the English upper classes too)

It's not in the past unfortunately.

An Instagram account dedicated to how depressing Ireland is, in Portuguese

That’s because they persecuted us. It really wasn’t that long ago that it happened. And it was still happening up the north to nationalists until even more recently.
normal enough reaction. Maybe banging on about it is a bit cringey. ‘Oh you’re here again, let me remind you of the suffering you lot caused us as a country’ kind of talk brings families together sure. I don’t think it’s an outrageous reaction
Honestly, I think most people are over the 700 years thing. The North still matters absolutely.
It's the lack of respect, the failure to view their neighbour as an equal, the utter disregard for this island during the entire Brexit fiasco (from both sides).
So many of them are still trapped in an exceptionalised view of their country and its history, that it de facto puts smaller countries like us on a lower footing (when they even bother to consider us).

Our country basically lost its shit when the English queen visited.
They, on the other hand, can't be bothered to pronounce Taoiseach or Micheal Martin's name correctly on the news.

This lack of esteem means the north of Ireland is treated like an afterthought or an inconvenience to them, and it's this island's shared future that's at stake there.

Sorry for prattling on. You know what I'm like.

An Instagram account dedicated to how depressing Ireland is, in Portuguese

hoo boy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like it’s being redeveloped, it’s the two bales in the middle of the estate that are confusing me.
Lots of areas marked for redevelopment but there’s no where to move people to while the work is being done so most have stalled. I think the Pearse House redevelopment was supposed to start 4 years ago but nothings happened and those flats are close to 100 years old at this stage and in bad shape.

It's something I get asked a lot by foreigners who have heard about the 'ghost estates'

Like what happened to them and how do we have a housing crisis when we had massive vacancy 10 years ago
I have no idea what the answer is

There's one I drive past pretty regular - the thing is that it's loads of km's from anything resembling enough jobs to support it. It should essentially never have been allowed but it was all cocaine money back then. I think a few are owned alright and the front facing part gets painted probably by bored locals. the town was more or less redundant anywhoo. Bridges aren't quite the commodity they used to be.

It is SUV land in tractor form out here though. Those things are about 1/4 million euro now and easily sit at 60kmh. All the old walls around the place end up getting fucked up by them during siliage season. Farms are contract projects now so farmers don't essentially own their own machinery as much now, and hire them for harvest only so the people driving them more or less are encouraged to drive as fast as possible to fit more contracts in the harvest window. Intensification at it's worst.

It is SUV land in tractor form out here though. Those things are about 1/4 million euro now and easily sit at 60kmh. All the old walls around the place end up getting fucked up by them during siliage season. Farms are contract projects now so farmers don't essentially own their own machinery as much now, and hire them for harvest only so the people driving them more or less are encouraged to drive as fast as possible to fit more contracts in the harvest window. Intensification at it's worst.
there has amazingly never been a bad accident with silage harvest / contractors around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back