General election 2020 (4 Viewers)

i dunno, maybe they could you know, see off the SF threat by actually governing the country better?
Another one?? Jesus its been a busy week on the Irish Times consent manufacturing shop floor

(I know, I know, Anne Harris and Michael McDowell what do you expect? I dunno, maybe something a bit more subtle?)

Imagine being in the army and passing out and none of the army people standing beside you come to check on you.
There was one guy to the kid's left that moved momentarily to help him

Then he saw the alpha dog to the kid's right wasn't budging and he went back to attention

A little window into the cruel hierarchy the military demands

Twitter is going MENTAL over whether or not Robert Troy went to an "elite" boarding school.

Look, the facts are this: he is the son of the family who run the town post office and have done so for generations, THAT is a very specific level of mental in any Irish community that everyone will recognise. It explains his mindset from top to bottom as far as I'm concerned.

are there any boarding schools in ireland you *wouldn't* consider elite?
Me personally? No idea, I don't really know anything about them except no one I knew went to them. I do get the impression it's a bit of a different vibe out in the sticks. Would value insight from anyone who knows about these things.

Hilarious if these lads were paying 5 thousand a year or whatever to look like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i don't know of too many boarding schools which don't charge significant amounts of money to go boarding there; i know a few schools have stopped taking boarders in the last few years/decades.
but as of 2018/2019, the cheapest boarding school in ireland was charging €7k for the privilege.

Me personally? No idea, I don't really know anything about them except no one I knew went to them. I do get the impression it's a bit of a different vibe out in the sticks. Would value insight from anyone who knows about these things.

Hilarious if these lads were paying 5 thousand a year or whatever to look like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My girlfriend's Dad worked there as a caretaker. The students were sons of the very wealthy, some were even royalty.

So is this like when a British columnist comes out with a "don't call me privileged just because I have staff, there's only 3 of them and one is part time" tweet and everyone freaks out?

just did a quick google; st finian's is listed (currently) as non-fee paying, non private; but the last boarder finished there in 2007. begs the question why you'd send your kid to a non-private boarding school? family tradition? that was the case with a lot of the lads who were boarders where i went to school.

So is this like when a British columnist comes out with a "don't call me privileged just because I have staff, there's only 3 of them and one is part time" tweet and everyone freaks out?
I think it might be. From what I understood they are not your average school kids, in terms of socioeconomic backgrounds. I mean, just look at the place.

in our place, they grudgingly allowed soccer to be played after letting day boys attend, clearly a lower class of people; but it was only tolerated after the easter break, in place of the usual cricket.

there weren't too many sons of politicians where i went, IIRC, or else they weren't high profile enough for me to remember; ray macsharry's kids went there, his son Marc was a few years ahead of me, and is now a TD himself.

just did a quick google; st finian's is listed (currently) as non-fee paying, non private; but the last boarder finished there in 2007. begs the question why you'd send your kid to a non-private boarding school? family tradition? that was the case with a lot of the lads who were boarders where i went to school.
Family runs the post office, I'm telling you it explains it all!

Almost NO ONE that is rich or privileged thinks they are

You could have a 3 -bed in Dalkey, a summer place in Schull and ski in the winter in Switzerland - and still consider yourself a middle class lad that has done okay, but worked for it.
Everyone thinks they're normal and regular, cos they surround themselves with people that are like them.

Millionaires and even billionaires ache to performatively show you what regular people they are.
We have the Bloomberg satellite TV channel playing in our lobby in work, and it's endless CEO interviews and they're all wearing sneakers and casual clothes and maybe an Apple watch (the Audemars Piguet is in a drawer at home) - cos they're just like you!

The Twitter lad that put the photo of the school up there is the CEO of a Catholic Organisation, and he's making the case he's not privileged.

The one case they will admit it is when they want to tell you about something cool they've done and they will tell you how lucky they are, Once they get the privilege check out of the way, they can then tell you how rich they are.

Last edited:
i suspect part of the mental gymnastics is that when you go to a posh school, it's easy to pretend you're not privileged because you are exposed to people who are insanely wealthy. in the school i went to, i'd probably have been in the minority because my dad was a PAYE worker. that's a guess rather than a hard fact, mind.
one of the lads i was in school with, his father is a billionaire, and he himself is a multi-millionaire. so i felt 'comfortable' rather than 'privileged' in school.
i hated that school though.

there weren't too many sons of politicians where i went, IIRC, or else they weren't high profile enough for me to remember; ray macsharry's kids went there, his son Marc was a few years ahead of me, and is now a TD himself.

Joan Burton sent her daughter to mine, she's a year younger than I am.

Leo was in the year ahead of me, and I understand Roderic O'Gorman went there too but is a few years younger than I am.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back