April Budget (3 Viewers)

What about expenses with regard transport, or eating out if you're out all day?

I think it's fucked up that a cheap computer and internet should be considered a luxury nowadays. I hate the right wing mentality that if you don't work, you barely deserve to eat.

At the very least it's terrible for mental health.

You are a Celtic Tiger baby. Damn you for making me feel old. Damn you.

You are a Celtic Tiger baby. Damn you for making me feel old. Damn you.

Here so am I!

Don't tar us all with the same brush.

My parents wont shut up about how bad things were when they were growing up and as a result they have no sympathy to anyone who was on Joe Duffy complaining.

It ususally goes like this "that'll teach them, two brand new cars per house, holidays abroad the whole time etc. No one learned to save, way to much greed. Everyone in a rush, no good in people anymore, we got caught with 14% and 18% interest on the farm and we had to get ourselves out of it. Those women wouldnt know how to make eight dinners for six out of two bags of mince yada yada yada... and then that Haughey fucker with his silk shirts"

My answer "you may be able to make eight dinners out of two bags of mince but the chances of any of them being nice enough to eat are very slim, very slim"

Here so am I!

My parents wont shut up about how bad things were when they were growing up and as a result they have no sympathy to anyone who was on Joe Duffy complaining.

It ususally goes like this "that'll teach them, two brand new cars per house, holidays abroad the whole time etc. No one learned to save, way to much greed. Everyone in a rush, no good in people anymore, we got caught with 14% and 18% interest on the farm and we had to get ourselves out of it. Those women wouldnt know how to make eight dinners for six out of two bags of mince yada yada yada... and then that Haughey fucker with his silk shirts"

My answer "you may be able to make eight dinners out of two bags of mince but the chances of any of them being nice enough to eat are very slim, very slim"

Your parents are a rock of sense.

Here so am I!

I say that shit all the time :D

Here so am I!

Catholic guilt but applied to the economy, amazing!

I blame our parents and their generation.
They really fucked up everything.

"Oh! We had it hard..."

No you didn't. Your parents had it hard. You had twenty years of splashing the cash and loadsa money.

I blame our parents and their generation.
They really fucked up everything.

"Oh! We had it hard..."

No you didn't. Your parents had it hard. You had twenty years of splashing the cash and loadsa money.

The way I look at it is that Ireland has been a poor country for the last 150 odd years, up to 1990 or thereabouts. Then we got a load of money over a period of about 20 years. It was bound to go to our heads. Countries like the UK, France, Germany and so on have had a long experience of being wealthy, or having extended periods of wealth. Now we're going to go back to a long period of being relatively poor, but probably not nearly as long as in the past. And we'll probably be smarter about it the next time the money comes in.

Although it could be Duncan Biscuit's parent who caused it either.

The way I look at it is that Ireland has been a poor country for the last 150 odd years, up to 1990 or thereabouts. Then we got a load of money over a period of about 20 years. It was bound to go to our heads. Countries like the UK, France, Germany and so on have had a long experience of being wealthy, or having extended periods of wealth. Now we're going to go back to a long period of being relatively poor, but probably not nearly as long as in the past. And we'll probably be smarter about it the next time the money comes in.

Although it could be Duncan Biscuit's parent who caused it either.

It's not really Irish people I'm talking about. It's the baby-boomers.
Of course I'm generalising here - but many people from the post-war generation don't have a sense of consequences. People bought what Reagan and Thatcher preached because for them there was no tomorrow.

You're right about Ireland. It hadn't a clue what to do with all this money.
But then that's why this globalisation model is fundamentally flawed. It inflates and deflates entire national economies.

It's not really Irish people I'm talking about. It's the baby-boomers.
Of course I'm generalising here - but many people from the post-war generation don't have a sense of consequences. People bought what Reagan and Thatcher preached because for them there was no tomorrow.

You're right about Ireland. It hadn't a clue what to do with all this money.
But then that's why this globalisation model is fundamentally flawed. It inflates and deflates entire national economies.

Thanks. Another thing, the population of the planet at the turn of the 20th century was a billion or so. By WW2 it was 2 billion or so (which was an precedented rate of increase). Now it's 7 billion. So 5 billion over the last 50 years. This inevitably leads to a lot of economic growth. But it's become clear that the rate of increase is slowing down. We're taking twenty or so years now to add another billion. The effect of resource depletion/contamination is calling into question the sustainability of post WW2 levels of population growth. This is also going to have an effect on economic growth, inevitably.

So the mumbo jumbo about rent allowance being restructured on budget day actually means that the rent cap is being reduced by 10% and payments will be cut by another €5 p/w (it was cut by the same amount in december).

is this for new applicants or current recipients?

i can understand the logic if it's for new applicants since - in general - rents are falling, but if it's for current recipients that's a bit rough since renegotiating the terms of a lease mid-term isn't exactly easy.

ireland's like a newly freed from the zoo baboon who was given a hundred quid note and told to join society, then swiftly wipes his ass with it and attacks a child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back