April Budget (1 Viewer)

So the mumbo jumbo about rent allowance being restructured on budget day actually means that the rent cap is being reduced by 10% and payments will be cut by another €5 p/w (it was cut by the same amount in december).

so now rent cap is €88.20 p/w for a single person per room in Dublin and now you have to pay €23 p/w aswell, is that correct?

dude i work with (middle manager, married, few kids) reckons his family are 600 quid less a month.

My boss was moaning that he's going to be about 16k worse off a year. No sympathy. He's overpaid anyway.

They should have increased the tax for the higher paid, or added a third tax bracket. This double taxation shit (which is what the levy amounts to) is bollocks.

if interested to see how this budget hits you, check out http://www.deloitte.ie/tc/Default.aspx

Hmm, useful, thank you. Doesn't look like it's going to hurt too much.

I'm just glad that I have a reasonably secure job at the moment.

is this for new applicants or current recipients?

i can understand the logic if it's for new applicants since - in general - rents are falling, but if it's for current recipients that's a bit rough since renegotiating the terms of a lease mid-term isn't exactly easy.

I'd say its for both. That was the spin that was put on it in the budget speech, but on one hard, realistically the rent cap never came close to much of what was on offer during the height of the rent boom, and secondly, no matter how much your rent is, you'll still have to pay another five euro towards it - if it was all about rent levels falling, surely this wouldn't come in to it.

so now rent cap is €88.20 p/w for a single person per room in Dublin and now you have to pay €23 p/w aswell, is that correct?

You definitely have to contribute €23 per week now. Not sure what the cap is, I'd have to go and do some maths, which I don't really have time to do right now.. you've probably done it. These specifics were not released on budget day, just some crap about restructuring the rent supplment scheme to come in line with falling rents (which of course, sounds totally reasonable to the lay observer). I just saw this while browsing the papers in a shop this morning.

I could be wrong, but I think it means there's been a 300%+ increase in what people on rent allowance have to pay towards their rent in the last 16 months.

Gah. I've been trying not to think about it. I now haven't a hope of getting myself out of this hole. More and more work for less money.

as long as i don't end up on rich tea biccys or....digestives!

actually who the fuck thought "digestives" would be a good name for a biscuit?

i'd only refer to the plain-as-you-like variety as "digestives", ones with chocolate or caramel i'd call "plain chocolate" or "caramels" respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back