Your work situation (7 Viewers)

Shooting the breeze with a contractor earlier; everything from climate change to the housing crisis. Things got awkward when he mentioned "those nutjobs in the National Party (so far so good) need, is a strong leader like Nigel Farage (wait...what?)...I'd vote for them (oh no)"

This work mobile I have is so annoying. I forget to turn it on half the time, for example I've been working since 8am but only just remembered to turn on the phone.
Also I hate the OS and the form of the thing, I keep dropping it.

I always forget to turn my work mobile off from silent. Keep getting voicemails because I miss the calls.

Deathly quiet last week in work. Should be using this time to fill out a promotion form, but not doing that.

Shooting the breeze with a contractor earlier; everything from climate change to the housing crisis. Things got awkward when he mentioned "those nutjobs in the National Party (so far so good) need, is a strong leader like Nigel Farage (wait...what?)...I'd vote for them (oh no)"
Fuck that dude

Like what kind of contractor?

I'm always curious who these guys are and what part of their status feels threatened by foreigns

Obviously you don't have to answer
It's not like I'm Pitchfork

I saw a bunch of @seanc pals loading out Saddlers Wells theatre last night. Filling three big Paul Matthews trailers. Looked like hard fucking work. Serious graft like. Ideal if you wanted to to lose a few in pounds

I saw a bunch of @seanc pals loading out Saddlers Wells theatre last night. Filling three big Paul Matthews trailers. Looked like hard fucking work. Serious graft like. Ideal if you wanted to to lose a few in pounds
Never been to Saddlers Wells. I do do storage stuff for them on the other end.

Theatre stuff is particularly mental. They have mad sets. But it's not so bad if YOU ALL JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LISTEN TO ME.

I was at a barbecue the other day - first one I've ever been to, actually - and doing my best to blend in as a normal adult and talk normal with the normal people about our normal lives, and about 10 minutes into a conversation with the sister in law's husband's brother and someone else that I'd never met before, and he looks up, pauses, and goes "you see those long, straight clouds up there....?"

I literally just stood up and walked off, leaving the poor unsuspecting sister in law's husband's brother to deal with it.

Last edited:
This work mobile I have is so annoying. I forget to turn it on half the time, for example I've been working since 8am but only just remembered to turn on the phone.
Also I hate the OS and the form of the thing, I keep dropping it.

Is it android?

You can set those to turn on and off at specific times of day - I've one of mine set that way for sanity reasons

yea, something lined up. Going back to startup life, where life is good. I was in a startup that got acquired by a big multinational. I'm not ready to go back to being in a multinational.
thinking of knocking this on the head and going back to the old place.

working for an american company, with a fully american work culture, is savage

the money is great but its fucking hectic and everyone is expendable

2 weeks into the job I was asked to fire a lad who I felt didn't deserve it. I fought his corner, for him to be given a chance, which he showed he was well capable, but he ended up leaving anyway. Since then I've felt like I have a target on my back cos I didn't fire him earlier.

and americans only tell you when something is wrong. They never say well done. So if you think they think you're doing a shit job, even though you feel you're doing a good job, its a bit unsettling. I'm kinda half waiting for the virtual tap on the shoulder to be told to fuck off.

life's too short for that shit. The yanks could learn a thing or 2 from the paddies.

2 weeks into the job I was asked to fire a lad who I felt didn't deserve it. I fought his corner, for him to be given a chance, which he showed he was well capable, but he ended up leaving anyway. Since then I've felt like I have a target on my back cos I didn't fire him earlier.

and americans only tell you when something is wrong. They never say well done. So if you think they think you're doing a shit job, even though you feel you're doing a good job, its a bit unsettling. I'm kinda half waiting for the virtual tap on the shoulder to be told to fuck off.

life's too short for that shit. The yanks could learn a thing or 2 from the paddies.
Fuck those guys.

Working with yanks is a hard adjustment. Back in Dublin I had a friend who worked for some American company. At first he was like "free meals! New phone!". No mate, they own you now. And that is what they do.

Nah bin it. Don't need that shit.

I find them unsettlingly positive, kinda like theatre people. They'll introduce you to someone and say "this is X, he's WONDERFUL". Maybe that's particular to Californians though.

I find them unsettlingly positive, kinda like theatre people. They'll introduce you to someone and say "this is X, he's WONDERFUL". Maybe that's particular to Californians though.
I'm working with californians.

maybe its just the ones I work, and some of them are completely grand, but its as if telling you you did something good will somehow negatively reflect on them, so they just don't do it.

they'll tell you a lad is great but will they back it up with specific examples as to why?

That sounds terrible
I've had a different experience, but it sounds like you're being treated like someone in a call centre that they can just throw tasks out at and delegate and vent to

My experience is that Americans are way more yay-yay pom-poms kumbaya everything-is-awesome
I have a problem getting where I don't get any negative feedback from them - and I need to know where I can improve
I work on site with them, so maybe that's part of it. Everyone's nice to your face.

You never want to feel like you have a target on your back though. Jees.

There's someone in here drunk

And I hope he just goes home, but he's going around talking to people
Which he kind of never does

He's a married guy in his 40s with three daughters

And we just sacked someone for getting bullet locked at the company summer party and feeling a girl's arse - without permission obv

bullet locked?

If he's an adult just tell him straight, go home. Never pleasant for either party, but for the best.

bullet locked?

If he's an adult just tell him straight, go home. Never pleasant for either party, but for the best.
Current guy in the office today just looks like he's decided to make his Tuesday more fun

We had an open bar at the summer party which was probably asking for trouble

They had to sack him though. Can't have tolerance for that in any work environment.
The groper has a wife and a kid on the way - they're collateral damage in all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back