Your work situation (7 Viewers)

I'm setting up as a self employed House Painter . Doing a load of zoom courses on tax and stuff to qualify for the Back to work enterprise allowance. They are very helpful it has to be said.

I'm just trying to find a way to work that leaves me time for producing as well

I took a pay cut to do my part time masters, but I've just successfully argued with the partners that, since our team got gutted and with the introduction of flexi work hours I've actually taken on more work and still managed to complete the first year of my course, I should get my full salary back

I'm setting up as a self employed House Painter . Doing a load of zoom courses on tax and stuff to qualify for the Back to work enterprise allowance. They are very helpful it has to be said.

I'm just trying to find a way to work that leaves me time for producing as well

there's a lot of demand for tradesmen of all kinds at the moment -
painted my own gaff when I was off last week though (well bits of it)

i was told a lot of polish, lithuanian, etc. lads weren't able to apply for PUP so headed off home when the sites closed, and that's one reason there's a shortage.
we're not having much luck finding someone to rewire our house; there's plenty of 'clean' work for electricians on sites, compared to messy work on a retrofit.

i was told a lot of polish, lithuanian, etc. lads weren't able to apply for PUP so headed off home when the sites closed, and that's one reason there's a shortage.
we're not having much luck finding someone to rewire our house; there's plenty of 'clean' work for electricians on sites, compared to messy work on a retrofit.

how are you with a phase tester and wirestrippers @GO

what do you need done?

i actually just got a quote back - late 2019, i got two quotes in, both just a little shy of 10k.
today's one is €14.5k ex vat, so a bit over €16k with VAT included (which i think is 13%?)

gosh - when we were looking at gaffs 7 years ago we were quoted just over 6K from a fairly reputable source.

we eventually moved into an old gaff that had been rewired about 5 years previously. all seemed kosher, earths run to all ceiling roses, plugs etc, modern breakers in the fuse box etc. however, I always wondered where the main earth rod/box was - presumed it was tucked away in the corner of the shed or something.

transpired that for some bizzare reason all the cabling was done correctly for the earth, but most of it wasn't connected back to the board, and there was no main earth.

what's worse is a fucking dangerous bastard of an electrician who was the contractor for some other stuff we did before we moved in (heating system mainly), would have to have known this but said or did nothing (and this was a RECI registered bloke).

we found out by accident when we got a competent guy in to fix something else, and he rewired and re-earthed everything.

I'm not sure what the message is here by the way... make sure you get a sparks who's not prepared to leave you sitting in a death trap or something

i know someone who had a (smaller) house rewired recently for €6k but that was during lockdown when the sites were closed, and also they'd just bought the place so it was empty with no carpets, which would have made their lives a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back