You know you're getting old.... (1 Viewer)

Shitting hell, I don't have the energy to be at this illegal punk gig under an overpass in East London. I saw the band I wanted to see, then saw another another couple of interesting bands I didn't know.

NO! I'm not having a midlife crisis. YOU'RE HAVING A MIDLIFE CRISIS. The much younger and cooler people I know are nowhere to be found now, and I feel like a dickhead.

My understanding was that for decades they had that Johnny Carson guy on at 11:30 and it was basically the sort of thing that The Larry Sanders Show was sending up, famous people come on to plug their projects and Carson told a few gags. Basically the basic idea we see on Brit TV with Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton (who's show I do like FWIW)

Then in the 80's Letterman got a chat show on the same network, but at 12:30 AM and he basically did the same thing, but ratcheted up the wackiness or irreverence or whatever and he was given credit for "revolutionising" the format. For whatever reason they thing that Conan O'Brien is the weirdo chat show hose, he was the weirdo before Conan.

Then in the 90's Carson retired and Letterman was expected to take over his show at 11:30 but instead it went to Jay Leno. Letterman moved to a difference channel, in the same 11:30 slot to go head to head with Leno but was told by his new bosses to tone done the zaniness or whatever it was that he used to do at half 12 that was so "special." But in the decades that he was doing the 11:30 show he managed to still retain the kudos for whatever it was that he'd done at 12:30.

I think

Conan started on Late Night in 1993 and not long after you would watch them here on Super Channel. He previously wrote on The Simpsons, the good ones, so he brought a lot of that energy to the show and the absurd repeated bits they did. I usually preferred that stuff to the guest portion, which is like half the show.

Meanwhile, Letterman may have been less zany at 11:30 – like, he didn’t do anything like the Jerry Lawler/Andy Kaufman spot – but he kept some of the running gags, like his Top 10 List (which is 90% miss but Johnny Carson wrote some gags for him).

If you have NOW TV there’s an OK series about the history of US late night talk shows on there. There’s also a good book about the squabbles between Leno and Letterman and all that but I can’t remember the name right now.

I had my nephew for a few hours yesterday and sweet Jesus!! I don’t know how people in their 40s manage with toddlers. Living on the 4th floor (no lift) and I was wrecked carrying him up. I’m trying to tell myself that maybe he’s bigger than the other kids but no, I’m just old.
I went though a mini mild life crisis last year and thought I might want more kids, hives clearly thought I was losing my mind but tried being supportive. I’d have been miserable if I did.

Last edited:
Rain has postponed planned gardening so watching The Wild Geese and browsing for a reasonably priced scythe
Brief excitement at receiving my scythe turned to disappointment when I discovered it's very flimsy and the blade might not be heavy enough for the job

further test are required

where did you get it? i hear they take a bit of learnin' to get to use them well.
Online. it's a lightweight version of a real one. We don't have a lawn here, just lots of grass. I figure it'd be easier on my ears and nerves to just manually cut it with a scythe from time to time

i watch adam savage's videos often on youtube. he comes across like such a decent skin; this seems apt to the thread.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems like the right time to say this. In a few months we'll have a song out called "I'm Here From The Future". It's a phrase that Dan Savage uses when advising millennials. Obviously it got put through the Mackey filter and has stupid things in it.

I honestly feel like a moron.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

I had my nephew for a few hours yesterday and sweet Jesus!! I don’t know how people in their 40s manage with toddlers. Living on the 4th floor (no lift) and I was wrecked carrying him up. I’m trying to tell myself that maybe he’s bigger than the other kids but no, I’m just old.
I went though a mini mild life crisis last year and thought I might want more kids, hives clearly thought I was losing my mind but tried being supportive. I’d have been miserable if I did.
having had a toddler in my 40s - I hear ya.
I regretted the energy I wasted in my 20s/30s.

seems relevant.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(TL;DW - he solders a resistor into one of the wires into the speaker)

Also interested. For a friend.
my missus has started to retrain as a fitness and nutrition person. I don't reckon there'll ever be huge money in it but she has never been happier. She's doing it through springboard so gets a couple of hundred yoyos a week allowance, which is just about enough to get by on.

you start to realise the extra few shillings a stressful job might give you are not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back