You know you're getting old.... (22 Viewers)

Yeah, my plan was to look in the new year and take time off now. Then I saw this part-time job that could be stress free and fun so I thought I’d apply. It’s seriously a no brainer considering my CV but my mind went completely blank. It probably would cost more on train fare than it would pay but I just couldn’t believe how bad it was. 😂

Job interviews are like any other kind of performance - you need a few practice runs before you hit your stride.

Its those questions "give an example where you ______________" that drive me insane.
The last interview I did for promotion there was 5 of those examples. 3: of them I had completely made up. Anyway it worked.

I was doing a bunch of interviews together at one stage - arrived a day late for one, and in another when they asked "why do you want this job?" I realised I had forgotten what the company even did. So yeah - could be worse, wha?
I would have loved that question. They would have learned more about me from my answer to that than they did with the ones they asked. It was only 5 questions and it lasted less than 20 minutes.

For question 3 they gave me a pen and paper and I was so confused of why they gave it to me, that my mind went as blank as the page.

Like this is an entry level job, close to one I had in 1998 BEFORE going for my masters degree! I really don’t know whether to laugh or cry. It was just so bizarre.

I just thought it would be fun, inspire some creativity again and I didn’t care that is was WAY below my pay grade in my field. I just wanted the fun, stressless, and less paperwork version.

I honestly feel like a moron.

They need to make a brain scanner for these. Cut out all the pain.

Seem reasonably sound: check
Seem reasonably intelligent: check
Can probably do this job: check

They need to make a brain scanner for these. Cut out all the pain.

Seem reasonably sound: check
Seem reasonably intelligent: check
Can probably do this job: check

harrison ford Just answer the questions, please. GIF

No it's not just that he gave them a shot, people really rate him as a comedy revolutionary. Maybe it's an American thing, like Kiss.

My understanding was that for decades they had that Johnny Carson guy on at 11:30 and it was basically the sort of thing that The Larry Sanders Show was sending up, famous people come on to plug their projects and Carson told a few gags. Basically the basic idea we see on Brit TV with Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton (who's show I do like FWIW)

Then in the 80's Letterman got a chat show on the same network, but at 12:30 AM and he basically did the same thing, but ratcheted up the wackiness or irreverence or whatever and he was given credit for "revolutionising" the format. For whatever reason they thing that Conan O'Brien is the weirdo chat show hose, he was the weirdo before Conan.

Then in the 90's Carson retired and Letterman was expected to take over his show at 11:30 but instead it went to Jay Leno. Letterman moved to a difference channel, in the same 11:30 slot to go head to head with Leno but was told by his new bosses to tone done the zaniness or whatever it was that he used to do at half 12 that was so "special." But in the decades that he was doing the 11:30 show he managed to still retain the kudos for whatever it was that he'd done at 12:30.

I think

is he the guy who has the secondary host who sits in on interviews? that always baffled me.
and the insistence of a studio band too.

Studio band was a union thing I think, if you had musical guests on these shows there needed to be a musicians union presence. They eventually eased off on it but there used to be mad shit like Sonic Youth on the show, but the house band was also playing with them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah yea the music guests are the best thing about those shows.
I remember when they used to be on over here in the 90s. They just seemed like one minute segments between a million ads. Really frustrating to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back