YO LA TENGO times tomorrow - Thurs 5th (4 Viewers)

Deadly gig.Loved them every time Iv seen them,but it was so great to see them go through a show at their own pace,and not have to pander to a festival crowd

Yeah and not being able to hear the dance tent over all the tunes made it a lot better than the shitfest at the picnic ( actually they played well when i could hear them at that). John McEnroes discription of Iras guitar playing kept popping into my head, he was truly "wacky"

So many spine-tingling moments in that set. Took a while to get going, sound wasn't great for the first half-hour but jesus....Blue Line Swinger, Tears Are In Your Eyes, Our Way to Fall, Autumn Sweater (traces of the Kevin Shields remix in there I thought), Yellow Sarong, Tom Courtenay, Big Day Coming...amazing....the new stuff sounded great as well.

Fantastic stuff. Really got going in the second half. Lots of highlights, the epicness of Blue Line Swinger, the dual drumming in Autumn Sweater, and a beautiful Our Way to Fall.
Pity about the amount of chatty cunts at the back, but serves me right for standing there I suppose. Some of the quieter songs near the start were completely drowned out by chattering.

Funniest moment of the evening was either Ira corpsing during his backing vocals in You Can Have it All, or the middle-aged couple in front of us leaving in disgust in the middle of that mad organ solo in the third song of the evening. I'm not entirely sure what they were expecting. The bloke had his fingers in his ears for most of the first song as well. Would be interesting to find out how they ended up at a gig like that.

or the middle-aged couple in front of us leaving in disgust in the middle of that mad organ solo in the third song of the evening.

I think I saw that couple after the gig so they must have hung around the back bar or something. Did think, "I wonder how they got into Yo La Tengo, they have neither glasses nor beard, nor ironic t-shirt."

What was the name of the last song they played before leaving the stage the first time? Incredible stuff.

yes, this was fantastic. A real show. Really impressed by the crowd too, big, quiet (when they had to be) and very loud (when they had to be). It was a pleasure to attend.

great show. sound was a bit dodgy at the start and the crowd a bit lame but both improved. cant understand why anyone would pay into a gig and spend the whole evening at the bar chatting.
€20 for a 2 hr show. frank black - suck my toes.

I'm not entirely sure what they were expecting. The bloke had his fingers in his ears for most of the first song as well. Would be interesting to find out how they ended up at a gig like that.

I reckon they have a very wide audience, those that prefer the wailing guitar/organ freakouts, those that prefer the pop songs/upbeat ballads, and those that love the hushed mellow tunes. I like most YLT fans love all aspects of their music, but I suspect there's a few people who've only every heard 'And then nothing..' and a few poppier songs on Phantom. There were some fleecy clothed young fellas beside me at one point. They were yapping loudly about how they were really looking forward to hearing Autumn Sweater, and thought that some of the amazing early tunes were 'a bit dodge'. Idiots. And anyone who walked out on that show is a poor excuse for a music fan.

And anyone who walked out on that show is a poor excuse for a music fan.

I walked out but not because I didn't like them. I had never really heard anything by them before. Some songs they played were fantastic but others didn't do it for me, even though I would never say they were bad or anything. Also, a pile of work that kept me going until 1:00 am was hanging over me. Would have been closer to 2:00 am if I had stayed.

Also, where I was standing was just the most annoying spot in the place. I spent the majority of the evening just letting people by.

I liked a lot of the songs but because I don't know them, I couldn't tell you any names. At first I thought they seemed really grumpy or something but they were very funny when they did speak to the crowd.

It was clear that if you knew their stuff you were going to be very happy with that gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back