[Dec 5, 2013] Yo La Tengo (Dublin) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
POD presents
YO LA TENGO
Rescheduled show:

Thursday 5th December 2013
Vicar Street – Thomas Street – Dublin 8.
Doors – 7:30pm

Tickets €22.50 standing/€25.50 seated (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

Yo La Tengo – “Fade”

Out now on Matador

Irish Daily Star *****- 'Critics often fawn over YLT just as the mainstream ignores them, but with an album as highly constructed as this, it is hard to proclaim them as anything other than geniuses

Irish Independent Day and Night ****- 'A triumph..yet again'

Irish Times- The Ticket- 'It all sounds so effortless and is merely a sign of the trios enduring genius'

State.ie 4/5- 'Fade is yet another signpost in a reliably great map of musical memories'

Fade is the most direct, personal and cohesive album of Yo La Tengo's career. Recorded with John McEntire at Soma Studios in Chicago, it recalls the sonic innovation and lush cohesion of career high points like 1997‘s I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and 2000’s …And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out. Fade is a tapestry of fine melody and elegant noise, rhythmic shadow play and shy-eyed orchestral beauty, songfulness and experimentation.

But Fade attains a lyrical universality and hard-won sense of grandeur that’s rare even for this band. It weaves themes of aging, personal tragedy and emotional bonds into a fully-realized whole that recalls career-defining statements like Blood on the Tracks, I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight or Al Green's Call Me.

"Nothing ever stays the same / Nothing’s explained", the band sing in unison on the reflective opening track ‘Ohm’. "We try not to lose our hearts / Not to lose our minds", it’s a straightforward sentiment for a band that prefers private intimation to forceful expression, making the song’s resistance to resignation feel that much more earned.

This is the first time Yo La Tengo has collaborated with producer John McEntire, best known for his work in post-rock band Tortoise as well as his work with such artists as Bright Eyes, Stereolab and Teenage Fanclub. He has helped the band hone a set of songs as multifaceted as they are seamless - flowing from the low-key shimmy of ‘Well You Better’, to the muted motorik kick of ‘Stupid Things’, to the cozy distortion of ‘Paddle Forward’ and right through to the cagey groove, horns and strings of the gorgeous album closer, ‘Before We Run’, in which Georgia Hubley and Ira Kaplan sing "Take me to your distant lonely place / Take me out beyond mistrust."

Fade's emotional core sits at its very centre with two songs, one sung by Kaplan and one by Hubley. The tender, raw, Kaplan-sung ballad ‘I'll Be Around’ pivots around a circular guitar figure set against James McNew's calm, pulsating bass line. The song's simplicity and starkness stand like a beacon against the emptiness. The following track, ‘Cornelia and Jane’, features Hubley gently singing, "I hear them whispering, they analyse, but nobody knows what's lost in your eyes / Sending the message that doesn't get to you, how can we care for you?" supported by whispering cushions of horns and delicate vocal harmonies. The effect is both heartbreaking and reassuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back