wine (1 Viewer)

lately i've been very much enjoying:
-solar de samaniego, rioja, reserva 1998
-alta vista, grande reserve 2004
-domane muller chardonnay 2000 (finally a white wine i really like)
...all lovely.

lately i've been very much enjoying:
-solar de samaniego, rioja, reserva 1998
-alta vista, grande reserve 2004
-domane muller chardonnay 2000 (finally a white wine i really like)
...all lovely.

a moderate range of breakfast wines, cheap cornershop piss please
bernard.jpg

i went into tesco tonight and they were selling 2 bottles of J.P. Chenet for €12,(the one with the crooked neck). I got a Shiraz and a Merlot, the Shiraz was nice and the metlot tastes the same. tasty

i went into tesco tonight and they were selling 2 bottles of J.P. Chenet for €12,(the one with the crooked neck). I got a Shiraz and a Merlot, the Shiraz was nice and the metlot tastes the same. tasty

That J.P. Chenet is actually suprisingly drinkable... and pretty cheap. Their whites aren't bad either.

My favourite wine at the moment is a South African Shiraz that seems to be getting pretty scarce so I'm not telling.

I like Shiraz in red, Chenin Blanc for white summer drinking and Reisling. I drink too much wine!

lads a few nights ago I was drinking this Chilean Casa Lapostolle '99 Clos Apalta.

oh my lord, to the nose it was the most incredible smell of honey - full bodied and powerful, and then to taste it was like berries, maple syrup and bacon.

THAT'S what i love about red wine. you never know what you're gonna end up with. it was only gorgeous.

I love spotting noses on red wine. Eh.... turf... and strawberries! Only recently I had one that hinted at binwater. BINWATER. But it tasted marvellous.

binwater? growse.

i once had a a glass of cabernet sauvignon that smelled like fresh soil and smoked wood. it was mad! and then when i tasted it it was like chocolate and chilli.

fuckin hell. mind blowing.

STRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAWBERRIES!!!!!!!!!!

_40422839_eccentric_goolden.jpg

Hmm I like wine too. I'm not mad on Shiraz mind. Find them very cloying, no subtelty. My favourites wines usually come from Spain and Italy. I much prefer expensive beer to cheap wine.

Hmm I like wine too. I'm not mad on Shiraz mind. Find them very cloying, no subtelty. My favourites wines usually come from Spain and Italy. I much prefer expensive beer to cheap wine.

Agreed on the expensive beer... but there is a difference between cheap wine and wine that is good value. Not all expensive wines are good, nor are all cheap wines bad.

I avoid Italian reds as a matter of principle after having some very nasty allergic reactions to them. Must be the type of grape or chemicals or something. I can't even taste them without reaction. :(

I went to a staff social wine tasting thingy last night in Mitchell & Son on Kildare street and it was fabulous. I don't normally drink reds but we had an amazing pinot noir called Santenay and I can't recommend it enough. Light and juicy - not acidic at all and just so easy to drink. Also the tannin didn't seem as strong in it, which was great.

Agreed on the expensive beer... but there is a difference between cheap wine and wine that is good value. Not all expensive wines are good, nor are all cheap wines bad.
True, but you're much more likely to get a good bottle of wine for €20 than for €4.99. Also, as a general principal with beer if you avoid the heavily advertised "macro brews" (Guinness being a notable exception IMHO) spending extra money is well rewarded. Belgian Trappists beers aren't cheap but it's a rewarding experience. I don't think I've ever tasted wine costing less than say €15 which has come anywhere close to most of my favourite beers.

I don't think I've ever tasted wine costing less than say €15 which has come anywhere close to most of my favourite beers.

Well, if you had been at the sociable cooking last night you could have tried a wine that, at least in my opinion, might have changed that.

But, in principle I do agree with you. Some of the Belgian Trappist beers are delicious. I haven't really explored beers enough though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back