Who Will Win The Nobel Prize For Literature (1 Viewer)

I totally agree. Really surprised to see Murakami's name so high in the betting stakes. I've only read a couple of his books but they were so bland and bereft of style that I was curious as to why he IS rated so highly.
Roth's had a good run of great, big novels since American Pastoral & he's nearly dead (!) so the Swedish Academy don't wanna miss out on this one! Hmm so is Updike but his remit is basically WASPish malaise-hardly the stuff of a Nobel winner regardless of how well he describes it.

A lot of noises on lit-blogs for Carlos Fuentes though. What's his stuff like these days? Last one I read was 'Diana' which wasn't bad.

American Pastoral/I Married A Communist/A Human Stain - he deserves it just for those three. Jahmazing!

American Pastoral/I Married A Communist/A Human Stain - he deserves it just for those three. Jahmazing!
#

I have a really funny image now of you putting a back in ten minutes sign in the window of the bookshop, going into the Paddy Powers nextdoor for the FIRST TIME EVER, them looking at you (there's yer man from the bukeshop) and you saying "so ...erm....how are you, friends? good odds on Phillip Roth eh?".

#

I have a really funny image now of you putting a back in ten minutes sign in the window of the bookshop, going into the Paddy Powers nextdoor for the FIRST TIME EVER, them looking at you (there's yer man from the bukeshop) and you saying "so ...erm....how are you, friends? good odds on Phillip Roth eh?".

It would be like the scene in black books where Bernard is betting for the first time and fills in the slip saying something like
"Dear Bookmaker,
Could i please place a bet of £10 on XXX horse that will be running at xxx in xxxx,
Thank you very much.
Yours Sincerely,
Bernard"

What are the odds this guy winning it
pete-doherty6.jpg

When is this on? Would he regular shops accept bets or is it an online only thing?

The regular shops will accept bets but you'll have to ask the assistant to ring head office to confirm price.

I put a tenner on Dylan and fifty on Roth yesterday in the Ladbrokes on Grand Canal Street. Priced as above.

Wouldn't trust Ladbrokes.

Here's Paddy Power's list:

Cardinal Angelo Scola (Venice)6/1Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga (Honduras)7/1Count Christoph von Schoenborn (Austria)7/1Jorge Mario Bergoglio (Argentina)9/1Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone (Italy)10/1Dionigi Tettamanzi (Italy)10/1Francis Arinze (Nigeria)10/1Claudio Hummes (Brazil)12/1Cardinal Francisco Javier Errazuriz Ossa (Chile)14/1Cardinal Karl Lehnmann (Germany)16/1Attilio Cardinal Nicora (Roman Curia)20/1Cardianl Ruini (Italy)20/1Cardinal Renato Martino (Italy)20/1JaimeLucas Ortega y Alamino (Cuba)20/1Jose Da Cruz Policar (Portugal)20/1Norberto Rivera Carrera (Mexico)20/1Wilfred Napier (South Africa)20/1Angelo Sodano (Italy)25/1Ivan Dias (India)25/1Antonio María Rouco Var (Spain)33/1Philippe Barbarin (France)33/1Cormac Murphy-OConnor (UK)40/1Giacomo Biffi (Italy)40/1Giovanni Battista Re (Italy)40/1Cardinal Dario Castrillion Hoyos (Colombia)50/1Cardinal Walter Kasper (Germany)50/1Geraldo Majella Agnelo (Brazil)50/1Godfried Danneels (Belgium)50/1Keith O Brien (Scotland)50/1Lopez Rodriguez (Dominican Republic)50/1Cardinal Amigo Vallejo (Spain)66/1Cardinal George Pell (Australia)66/1Jean-marie Lustiger (France)66/1Francis George (USA)80/1Cardinal Carlo Maria Matini (Italy)100/1Silvano Piovanelli (Italy)125/1Bono (Ireland)1000/1Father Dougal Maguire (Craggy Island)1000/1

Scola lest me down badly the last time - I'm never betting on papal elections again.

And don't get me started on Danel Craig. I had a sizeable punt on Clive Owen, thought he was a shoe in, then he won a Goldan Globe and the odd were slashed and then it turns out to be Daniel Graig.

Also if they are going to put in stupid bets like Bono they should at least do the decent thing and give odds of 1M to 1 or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back