When did REM turn shite (3 Viewers)

When did REM turn shite

• When they signed to Warner Bros.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • When they released Everybody Hurts

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • When they released Monster (and toured with 4 back up guitarists, keyboard players etc, etc)

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • When Bill Berry left

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • When Stipe started with the make up and shaving the head

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • When Peter Buck stopped looking like he cared

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • When Mike Mills dyed his hair and got a perm

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • When Mike Mills started with the glam nudie suitke Mills dyed his hair and got a perm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Mike Mills wouldn't shut up in the interviews already...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Mike Mills big schmaltzy keyboard sound became the REM staple rather then Bucks Rickenbackers

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
I remember sitting in school, in German class, having just had something quite nasty said to me by this guy, and I sat there, for some time trying to think of the most hurtful thing I could possibly say back.
And, in a blinding flash it came to me, I turned around, and told him REM were crap, and totally overrated, and I never liked them that much other than that one Fall On Me song, which was good.

Suffices to say, he was genuinely, deeply gutted. At first he just made some noises, and then he tried to explain to me that I was talking bollocks, and was probably a cunt.
But, I didn't reply. I wanted to let my poison run deep.

Here, does the Stiper live in Dublin or what?
I have seen him in town a couple of times. He looks really ill. The first time I saw him, I had this rush of emotion about how tough it must be to have to struggle with slowly dying of AIDS, because he looked so awful.

Then I realised it was Michael Stipe... and, like, he's not even HIV positive. And I felt like a fucking eejit.

I have seen him in town a couple of times. He looks really ill. The first time I saw him, I had this rush of emotion about how tough it must be to have to struggle with slowly dying of AIDS, because he looked so awful.

Then I realised it was Michael Stipe... and, like, he's not even HIV positive. And I felt like a fucking eejit.

They're recording here.

In Grouse Lodge I think

I was in a restaurant in LA in November and who should be at the table next to me but Michael Stipe.

He was eating a giant salad.

I was in a restaurant in LA in November and who should be at the table next to me but Michael Stipe.

He was eating a giant salad.

I suppose eating a salad is something... but jesus, the state of him. Like, I am not a hefty chap, but, I am not messing, when I saw him my brain instantly clicked into "AIDS is a fucked up disease to live with" mode.
I couldn't imagine how someone could look that rough without being ill. Even those anorexic chicks didn't look that bad. He was sort of grey or something.

ha ha... I saw Morrissey there too, I always thought he was a bit weedy from pictures, but that lad is the total opposite. Strapping chap altogether.

I suppose eating a salad is something... but jesus, the state of him. Like, I am not a hefty chap, but, I am not messing, when I saw him my brain instantly clicked into "AIDS is a fucked up disease to live with" mode.
I couldn't imagine how someone could look that rough without being ill. Even those anorexic chicks didn't look that bad. He was sort of grey or something.

I didn't think the AIDS thing because I copped straight away that it was him but yeah he's incredibly skinny.

There's so many good options. I voted for the third one, not because I hate Monster but because I really fucking hate all the back-up guitarists nonsense.

Yeah that's something I don't like when i see them live that it's always everything up to 11, there's no subtlety to the sound, they rarely play say an acoustic song or just someone sitting at the piano playing, it's 8 people playing at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back