When did REM turn shite (2 Viewers)

When did REM turn shite

• When they signed to Warner Bros.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • When they released Everybody Hurts

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • When they released Monster (and toured with 4 back up guitarists, keyboard players etc, etc)

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • When Bill Berry left

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • When Stipe started with the make up and shaving the head

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • When Peter Buck stopped looking like he cared

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • When Mike Mills dyed his hair and got a perm

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • When Mike Mills started with the glam nudie suitke Mills dyed his hair and got a perm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Mike Mills wouldn't shut up in the interviews already...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Mike Mills big schmaltzy keyboard sound became the REM staple rather then Bucks Rickenbackers

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
new adventures in hi fi is ok but everything post green is shit really. i was just thinking abvout this earlier fiachra. mad or wha?

it's all I ever think about Rampsy

that and boobies

yeah boobies feature quite regularly in my daily thinking also. i do like boobies. i have to say though, green is up there with fables, document and lifes rich peagent as my fave rem album.

It all went downhill from Fables, some good moments on Document but from the second side (vinyl) it all went wrong.

Peter Buck seems to be content in playing g, d and e minor these days which is a shame as he was a great guitar player. He needs a good hard kick up the arse. He needs to come round to our house! :p

Maybe it all went wrong when he gave his Rickenbacker away to Captain America's on Grafton Street.

Peter Buck seems to be content in playing g, d and e minor these days which is a shame as he was a great guitar player.

He said in an interview that Em was his favourite chord and he tries to work it into every song.

The rot started to creep in around monster but they get so shit later on. Whichever one was out around 2004 was jaw-droppingly terrible, only listened to it once

He said in an interview that Em was his favourite chord and he tries to work it into every song.

The rot started to creep in around monster but they get so shit later on. Whichever one was out around 2004 was jaw-droppingly terrible, only listened to it once

yep, last LP, Around The Sun. Absolutely fucking dire. One of the worst records I ever bought.

really they should have quit after Up. Would have been a good way to finish.

That IRS double CD comp that came out a while back is stark reminder of how good they were.

All the IRS albums are great. Green and Automatic are both great too. Everything after that is weak. Haven't heard the last one. I'm such a cliche, because most of the time, I really do prefer the early stuff.

It all went downhill from Fables, some good moments on Document but from the second side (vinyl) it all went wrong.

Peter Buck seems to be content in playing g, d and e minor these days which is a shame as he was a great guitar player. He needs a good hard kick up the arse. He needs to come round to our house! :p

Maybe it all went wrong when he gave his Rickenbacker away to Captain America's on Grafton Street.

or when he went mad on the plane, trying to open the doors mid-flight and throwing yogurt at the stewardess. "do you know who i am?? i am rem!!!"

green was definitly their last great album.
everything after that was kinda patchy.
they've still had some great songs since then, just they seem a bit forced now.
totally agreed, but it just isn't the same REM.

I liked Monster too, I always thought if it had been any other band it would've been a cracking alt-fuzz-pop (to coin a pigeon hole) album, albeit one that tails off a little towards the end
i didn't dislike Monster, i just see it as just such a 'non-REM' album (that is, a huge departure from their traditional jingle-jangle) that it may as well have been a different band.

in fairness, i haven't listened to the last 2 or 3 albums. something tells me i'm not missing a whole lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back