What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

Victoria. Girl meets guy in Berlin nightclub and ends up being recruited as the getaway driver in a bank heist. Takes place in real time, shot in one take over a single night. Exhilarating stuff, ridiculously intense, technically astounding. My main criticism would be that it’s at least 20 min too long but I guess that’s how long it took to film.

Victoria_(2015_film)_POSTER.jpg
I recognised a street from this film on Saturday and walked as much of the film as I could remember.
It was fun!

Wait, what's politically suspect about Sicario?
Ah any film that is 100% Hollywood (which Sicario is) is politically suspect really.

Simply put: the whole thing is shown from the various points of view of US law enforcement agencies as if they are the people who should have the final word on the issue. Anyone who disagrees is the Kate figure in the film; not willing to man-up and face the 'reality' of the situation.

I don't see any real critique of American imperialist policy in the film myself, just a very vague "gosh isn't it awful that things have come to this but that's what the drugs gangs have forced us to do" resignation.

American Sniper was a better critique imho

but, you know, Emily Blunt.

Wait, what's politically suspect about Sicario?

Apart from the whole end justifying the means in contravention of a plethora of laws of so-called civilsed countries, the portrayal of Juarez as basically 2005 Fallujah plays into American xenophobia and siege mentality vis-a-vis Mexico and the border.

And the whole thing serves as an apologia for the heavy handed tactics used in the War on Drugs that have in some ways created the bloodbath in Mexico.

Really? I watched it and thought it was sincerely "America, fuck yeah"
It may well have been in fairness. If so that almost makes it even more powerful.

I want to believe it's an anti-war movie at heart though. For what it's worth Eastwood says it is.

Ah any film that is 100% Hollywood (which Sicario is) is politically suspect really.

Simply put: the whole thing is shown from the various points of view of US law enforcement agencies as if they are the people who should have the final word on the issue. Anyone who disagrees is the Kate figure in the film; not willing to man-up and face the 'reality' of the situation.

I don't see any real critique of American imperialist policy in the film myself, just a very vague "gosh isn't it awful that things have come to this but that's what the drugs gangs have forced us to do" resignation.

American Sniper was a better critique imho

but, you know, Emily Blunt.

Apart from the whole end justifying the means in contravention of a plethora of laws of so-called civilsed countries, the portrayal of Juarez as basically 2005 Fallujah plays into American xenophobia and siege mentality vis-a-vis Mexico and the border.

And the whole thing serves as an apologia for the heavy handed tactics used in the War on Drugs that have in some ways created the bloodbath in Mexico.

I think the cinematography got to you, lads.
It's a hitman film. I don't think it has a particular political point of view.
It's about people who shoot people, and the people who shoot them.
It's all gussied up and night-visioned and pretty, but I'd look somewhere other than a hitman film for critiques of drug policy or whatevers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back