What movie did you watch last night? (15 Viewers)

Midnight Special.. It starts off very promisingly with a mysterious setup, and then there are some long stretches of downtime which kind of let the thriller/chase structure sag and the ending is maybe a bit silly,.. Worth a look for sure though, The Spielberg comparisons are definitely valid, got a strong whiff of Close Encounters off it.

Midnight Special.. It starts off very promisingly with a mysterious setup, and then there are some long stretches of downtime which kind of let the thriller/chase structure sag and the ending is maybe a bit silly,.. Worth a look for sure though, The Spielberg comparisons are definitely valid, got a strong whiff of Close Encounters off it.

I really liked it.

Having got the boxset collection recently I watched Hellraiser for the first time last night. I assumed I saw it years ago but it was all new to me. I was like, "hey there's Scorpio from Dirty Harry", and ,"man , that Frank guy is a terrible actor". I think I've got so used to its place in pop culture that I imagined I'd seen it before.

I thought it was great, despite some dodgy effects etc. I assume the sequels get steadily worse as they go on?

Having got the boxset collection recently I watched Hellraiser for the first time last night. I assumed I saw it years ago but it was all new to me. I was like, "hey there's Scorpio from Dirty Harry", and ,"man , that Frank guy is a terrible actor". I think I've got so used to its place in pop culture that I imagined I'd seen it before.

I thought it was great, despite some dodgy effects etc. I assume the sequels get steadily worse as they go on?
Much worse. The second one was ok but the third was beyond awful.

Midnight Special. Aww, I loved this. Totally bought into that whole 80s Spielberg, Close Encounters, ET, Starman vibe. Mysterious and exciting, a rarity in modern mainstream Sci Fi, which is completely dominated by CGI riddled garbage.
View attachment 11288

I loved it. I'm amazed hey managed to do it for 18 mill

The Brand New Testament

God is a sadist living in Brussels and making everyone's life a misery. His daughter has plans to change all that. Really really good. Very funny and irreverent, but with a strikingly moral narrative.

Kind of like Amelie on mescaline

hqdefault.jpg

The Sleepwalker. Boring, pointless psychodrama which completely wastes a talented cast. Intriguing build up but there's no real pay off. Lots of nudity and graphic sex if that's your thing.
The_Sleepwalker_Poster.jpg

The Invitation. Excellent indie horror in the vein of Martha Marcy May Marlene and Ti West's The Sacrament. Great build up and a killer payoff.
The-Invitation-Poster-Large_1200_1744_81_s.jpg

The Shout. A couple find their peaceful country life invaded by a man who claims he has learned from an aboriginal shaman how to produce a "terror shout" that can kill anyone who hears it unprotected. Bit of a curiosity this one. Great, innovative sound design, unsettling atmosphere and some deadly 70s acting - Alan Bates plays a terrific weirdo. That said it's somewhat dated and the scenario is pretty implausible - the couple don't bat an eyelid when deranged looking Batesy claims to have murdered his own children during their first dinner together - they offer him more food and drink!
71MkbwdGvTL._SL1441_.jpg

Dheepan. Jacques Audiard’s new one. I loved it. The ending feels a bit rushed and it bizarrely sort of drifts into Death Wish territory at one point but I found it very gripping and moving for the most part. The three leads, mainly unknown Sri Lankan actors, are bloody fantastic. It’s not quite up there with A Prophet, Rust and Bone and The Beat My Heart Skipped but it’s one of the best films I’ve seen so far this year.

Dheepan_poster.jpg

Yes, it's a beautiful, gripping and profoundly moving film about a big pizza pie.

Oh, and I watched half of Kill Your Friends last night. Now, I haven’t read the book but this was dreadful fucking rubbish. Avoid.

kill-your-friends-poster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back