What movie did you watch last night? (16 Viewers)

On a related note, I thought Anvil resonated more with me in terms of recognising aspects of people I know from bands here then either of those other 2 films.

That one made me feel very uncomfortable and I genuinely felt bad for laughing at it in parts... perhaps because they were also sitting in the cinema at the time? Should I be laughing? Awkwardly great.

Is there anything tragic about them in it? Didn't they get precisely what they wanted? I didn't get the impression that they "sold out" or anything, they wanted to be famous and subsequently became famous.

On a related note, I thought Anvil resonated more with me in terms of recognising aspects of people I know from bands here then either of those other 2 films.

Anyone who gets famous is a "sell out" according to some people.

Working through christmas films recorded on the upc box...
Adaptation: First 2/3's fantastic, last 3rd sadly disappointing.
Toy Story 3: just brilliant.

Populaire

French comedy drama about speed typing set in the 50s. Pretty great! Loads of really good things about this film, although it does get a bit formulaic in the last third or so. Lots of good gender stereotypes reversal going on, a bit like The Artist in that respect, although not with as much depth.

Danny Boyle

Shallow Grave - 8 (haven't seen it since it came out but remember loving it)
Trainspotting - 10
A Life Less Ordinary - 5
The Beach - 3
28 Days Later - 8
Millions - didn't watch it
Sunshine - 9
Slumdog - didn't watch it
127 Hours - 5
trance - 2

The Raid
exclusive-uk-poster-for-action-hit-the-raid-98221-02-470-75.jpg

Hype usually does two things to a movie,
1. Makes people who wouldn't ordinarily bother with that type of thing watch it.
and
2. Raises the expectation level too high for the film to live up to.

The Raid is exactly that film, but it's a shame really. I don't particularly love action movies or martial arts movies but the level of praise this received made me curious and so I gave it a look. What you get with The Raid is the most primitive and basic a film you could imagine. Good guys go into building and won't come out until every single bad guy dies. Right, fair enough and The Raid sets out it's stall earlier than most movies can manage. It's the equivilent of waiting for two out and out attack minded sports teams go head to head and one scores a try/goal/touch down or whatever within the opening 10 seconds. The film is 100 minutes long and I'd imagine about 50% of that is just horrific violence. I had to watch one scene involving a sliced open femeral artery twice to see if I had really seen it properly. Trust me this is fucking gory stuff. But there in lies the rub. The other 50% is pretty stupid altogether and that's okay, in this kind of film you're not expecting high art or complex emotions or plotting. It's okay that the dialogue and plot are utter shit, that's fine. The problem with the film (and with football matches - because lets face it american football and rugby just don't matter really) that start off hammer and tongs is that after the frankly breath taking and stomach churning frenzy of violence and choreographed lunacy that opens procedings (Imagine Chris Kamara describing a match that's 4-3 at half time, Unbelievable Jeff!!!) the film really can't top it, and the following hour or so kind of dips off and drags in places. There are still some amazing scenes of hand to hand to elbow to knee to shin to head to hand combat but after a while even the most spectacular of fights seem pedestrian because it's all the film has to offer. There isn't the same humour or wow factor that comes with Jackie Chan films and the stunts are basically just men beating the living shite out of each other before stabbing each other to death. So no tricks with ladders and rakes or flying leaps onto busses from motorbikes, just lads pounding each other into dust.

That's not to say that The Raid is all bad. Certainly the opening salvo is incredible,a cross between Saving Private Ryan and the crazy 88 scene from Kill Bill. The film however simply can't sustain it's self and unfortunately once the shock has worn off there isn't enough left in the tank.

Unbelievable Jeff, the game has kind of petered out so full time it's 4-3, who'd have thought that at half time ?.... Unbelievable Jeff.

Populaire

French comedy drama about speed typing set in the 50s. Pretty great! Loads of really good things about this film, although it does get a bit formulaic in the last third or so. Lots of good gender stereotypes reversal going on, a bit like The Artist in that respect, although not with as much depth.
Yer one from the Page Turner is in that. Massive horn for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back