What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

Actually felt nauseous watching that film, that hand held bullshit.
I don't mind hand held so long as it's hand held through out and it's not edited to fuck. It's hand held plus constant mega-editing, that Bourne movie effect that makes me dizzy. I think teenagers are well used to it now so they probably think action movies from the 80s look pretty slow and static.

A Place beyond The Pines
movies_place-beyond-the-pines.jpg

Oh isn't he gorgeous ? Just look at him there, Swoon!!!! he's dreamy. And maybe a little wild, but who could tame him, oh my. Yes it's Ryan Gosling again and no there won't be a dry seat in the house because he's playing a bad boy. Tattoos and a leather jacket, yes prepare to have that pocket ottered ladies.

Is he any good though ? Well yeah he is in a way but in another way doesn't he just play the exact same character in every movie ? He mumbles he broods and he flies off the handle from time to time and that seems to be his schtick right. Here Gosling plays a loner biker who gets into doing some shameful shit because he finds out he has a baby. (yes ladies he even holds a fucking baby!!!! Swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon faint etc) Don't get me wrong this schtick certainly suits the role he's playing and he does a convincing enough job. But the real acting clout here is provided by Bradly Cooper. Cooper has the much harder role. A character which begins likable and becomes less so as the film progresses. Cooper manages the near impossible, he somehow imbues this man with the kind of ambitious arrogance which drives the film forward while still managing to portray him as a real human being and not completely unsympathetic. Often at the centre of a film like this there is a character who holds the film together. They have to remain under pressure, with their fears internalised and though the real acting fireworks get set off by the more stirring fraught performances by cast around them they have to make the central figure believable and engaging enough for the film to work, without overplaying the role and overawing the louder characters at the films fringes. Or worse underplaying it and coming across as boring. Think of him as the holding midfielder. A good example of this role and how it can seem unexciting is how Marc Wahlberg plays the lead in The Fighter. Amongst one of the most dysfunctional families ever portrayed on screen Wahlberg did a fine job disappearing into the foreground and allowing most of the cast to walk off with Oscars. Here Cooper gets a lot of screen time but his central performance is most memorable for the fact that the central figure is dislikable but at least real.

Derek Cianfrance is making a name for himself as an actors director. The performances are absolutely brilliant throughout. Cooper is the stand out to us critic types and of course Gosling will probably have another zero pasted into his next pay check for his performance here, as it is good to be fair. It's the smaller roles where Cianfrances directorial methods seem most impressive. Ben Mendlesohn is excellent as a down and out mechanic, although he seems to be hollywoods go to guy for that role these days. Eva Mendes is also great as a dowdy (yes Eva Mendes = Dowdy !!!) mother who can't seem to afford bras. Emory Cohen is near perfect as a completely disgusting privledged teenager who really gets under every cell of your skin and Dane Dehann is great also as the sort of loner teenager that will probably grow up to write film reviews on message boards at 4 AM. And then there's Ray Liotta who steals the show with a performance so slimey you'll feel dirty just looking at him. Unfortunately He's under used in a role that could have added an undercurrent of filthy dread. The small town setting with it's mix of privledge and poverty is well used and the tone and pacing suits the film in creating both forboading and menace. In many ways it's similar to Bullhead or Revanche from europe or Frozen River or Winters Bone from the dirty poor of America. There are also a few directorial flourishes, turning bank robbery into a sort of frenzy of adrenaline of kinetic extreme sport is excellent and basically this is a very good film.

But here's the rub. While Cianfrance is a great actors director and the performances are uniformly excellent, he isn't quite up to the task of presenting a "crime" film. The great directors of that particular genre like Tarantino or Scorsese or even Peckempah or Wells for example know that the story has to take the reigns of the film and keep the audience on or as near as possible to the edge of their seat. To this end Scorsese and Tarantino occasionally structure their films in such a way as to keep the audience guessing. The first scene in Goodfellas for example is actually a pivotal point from the middle of the story. Scorsese just yanks it out, in the process he tears up the rules so to speak and the result is something quite brilliant. Tarantino took this even further by structuring his films as novels and up that worked too until film makers in the late 90s started doing this en mass and ruined it's appeal and effectiveness. Whatever way it's structured crime films have to have a building of tension throughout. Cianfrances film suffers because it's structure is too straight too linear and as such it becomes a little predictable and much of the early promise and tension dissipates too soon. Liottas small role in the film is endemic of Cianfrances adherence to a sort of cinematic rule book. While showing more of Liotta might have deviated from the films first person narrative, it's undeniable that the scenes which feature him add just the kind of tension that's lacking from the films middle section. What's worse is that this story, which is really three short stories which themselves have tree acts, feels fragmented so you can feel the peaks and troughs go by. Most of the peaks are at the beginning of the film and this contains the best moments of tension and of release. Unfortunately once this initial engrossement peters out and there is space for the characters and performances to shine the film falls a little flat and it seems overly long even though it really doesn't deviate from its very deliberate pace. The result is that the middle of the film feels protracted and while the end has the same kind of tension it really doesn't reach the same heights it's earlier glory.

If A Place Beyond the Pines had been directed and edited by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu the man behind 21 Grammes and Amores Peros for example or if Cianfrance had a bit more "crime" experience this crime drama might have been structured differently and may have been a classic. As it is and as uneven as it is, it's still excellent and well worth a look. Especially if you own a vagina.

Apparently.
A Place beyond The Pines
movies_place-beyond-the-pines.jpg

Oh isn't he gorgeous ? Just look at him there, Swoon!!!! he's dreamy. And maybe a little wild, but who could tame him, oh my. Yes it's Ryan Gosling again and no there won't be a dry seat in the house because he's playing a bad boy. Tattoos and a leather jacket, yes prepare to have that pocket ottered ladies.

If A Place Beyond the Pines had been directed and edited by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu the man behind 21 Grammes and Amores Peros for example or if Cianfrance had a bit more "crime" experience this crime drama might have been structured differently and may have been a classic. As it is and as uneven as it is, it's still excellent and well worth a look. Especially if you own a vagina.

Apparently.

You blatantly fancy a bit of Gosling

Behind the Candelabra.

Directed by Stephen Soderburgh, starting Michael Douglas as Liberace and Matt Damon as his boyfriend.

You can't imagine how big a disaster it is. A 5th rate Boogie Nights

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Behind the Candelabra.

Directed by Stephen Soderburgh, starting Michael Douglas as Liberace and Matt Damon as his boyfriend.

You can't imagine how big a disaster it is. A 5th rate Boogie Nights

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i thought it was great

Have you seen the original Michael Mann adaptation, Manhunter? Brian Cox as Lector and yer man from CSI in the Ed Norton role, I think it's probably better than that one.

yes it's far better. interesting factoid - director william friedkin was considered for the role of lector in manhunter before it went to brian cox. that could have been fun.

yes it's far better. interesting factoid - director william friedkin was considered for the role of lector in manhunter before it went to brian cox. that could have been fun.

I've been watching the new Hannibal TV series. A few elements from the books and movies have been retconned/events happen to other people but it's not bad. Familiarity with the books means that I know how things will probably finish but it's quite interesting seeing how they're going to get to that point. Mads Mikkelson makes for a good Lector.

Grusome shit too, as far a US network telly goes, maybe the grossest thing since the X-Files or Millenium.

Star Trek -

Enjoyed this enormously, even though it goes bananas with the plot holes and twists.
Thought it looked spectacular, a big problem I have with such CGI heavy material is being unable to suspend my disbelief, can always see where the CGI starts and ends. But this was something else, particularly the fight on the two transport ships flying through the city, just amazing.
If he can pull of that level of believability, I've great hope, visually at least, for Star Wars...

Bobby Fischer Vs The World

Fisher_quad_web.jpg

In 1972, America fought perhaps it's most ridiculous war by proxy against the Soviet Union. It was not played out in some divided former indochinese colony in south east asia or some archaic oppressed eurasian mountain hell hole, it was not played out in some town or city or backwater in a lost and utterly forgotten part of eastern europe where the people had been brow beaten and brainwashed or entrenched in either of the prevailing doctrine, it was played out in Iceland. It was played out on a chess board and it was played out by two men who briefly came to represent their idealistic nations in a way that neither side could possibly care to claim as their own or to equally deny as indemic of their own ideologies. Boris Spassky, the Russian, the brewski, the red, the virtually anonymous, the characterless, and in a way the sporting, the brave, and the proud representative of the people of the Soviet Union took on Bobby Fischer, the American, the yank, the self made man, the brilliant, the intelligent, the enigmatic, the driven and the dedicated and equally the selfish, the arrogant, the erratic, the paranoid, the delusional, the fearful and the downright dysfunctional. As a documentary you could not as for a better subject. The man himself is basically everything that we - the rest of the world - lampoon in American society, self hating and arrogant a man divided by pettiness and convinced of conspiracies against him and the wider world. This is a fine film which succeeds in not only recreating a period of history but presenting a character study of a man for whom the word eccentric was created. Pacey, well directed and with astonishing access to seemingly everyone who ever spent time with Fischer, this is another of those great American documentaries which pop up and question American culture of a certain era by looking at one of it's most interesting inhabitants. It does so without ever reducing the subject to a mere totem or by under or overstating the context in which his most famous achievements occurred. You don't even have to give a fuck about chess. Well worth a look.

get to fuck. Documentary made by cunts, about cunts, for cunts. In a way I found this funnier than Some Kind of Monster in places, in that they're even more delusional. At least Metallica were good; once.

It was hilarious and I don't think ever suppose to be taken as a serious documentary. Loved it but then again, I am a cunt.

Yeah I guess, I don't know why I can laugh out loud at Some Kind of Monster and yet this just left me nauseous.

Some kind of Monster is the vision of musicians that you're more comfortable with, pampered self important disconnected and rich beyond our mere mortals wildest dreams.

Dig is closer to home, poor people equally unhinged and deluded. Facing up to the desperate situation of knowing that their days as a musician may be numbered. Substitute the heroin for alcohol and the acid for Buckfast and you can see some uncomfortable parallels with Dublin. Some Kind Of Monster is essentially a damning portrait of "them" and Dig is an even more damning appraisal of "us". People may not like to believe it but no one is more than a few grand and the promise of fame away from behaving like the Danady Warholes, and equally no one is anything more than a few misfiring synapses from being in The Brian Jones Town Massacre.

Thankfully us Irish take pride in shitting all over each others dreams and tearing each other down at every opportunity so no one is allowed the ego to get genuinely deluded like the folks in either film. Everyone would like to believe that their like Fugazi in Instrument but their not, they are every bit as fucked as the folks in Dig or SKOM. All artists are selfish and solipsistic, so when you laugh at "them" you're also laughing at yourself.

People may not like to believe it but no one is more than a few grand and the promise of fame away from behaving like the Danady Warholes,

Is there anything tragic about them in it? Didn't they get precisely what they wanted? I didn't get the impression that they "sold out" or anything, they wanted to be famous and subsequently became famous.

On a related note, I thought Anvil resonated more with me in terms of recognising aspects of people I know from bands here then either of those other 2 films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back