What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

I hated Arrival, the more I thought about it the more I hated it.

Had a long day on friday so thought I would stick on something simpleminded on Saturday. The Rock's Hercules seemed like it would fit the bill. Sadly, not. There is a distinct type of these crappy action movies these days, they all blend into one and there are just loads of crappy fight scenes and nothing going on. I was hoping for some knowing nod and a wink action and added The Rock charisma, but this was a turd.

Watched Blue Is The Warmest Colour over the last two nights. Admittedly I am a sucker for coming of age films but I loved it. 3 hours long and the majority of it is shot in a closeup of Adèle Exarchopoulos' face. It is a remarkable performance from her. I could feel what she was thinking and how her character developed with age and circumstances.

We ended up splitting it into two nights with the running time, had to pause on sunday for Planet Earth. But that break really helped I think. Especially with the way it was shot, I was feeling slightly claustrophobic at times. First half we made it as far as the two girls falling in love (and epic sex scene). Second day was spent with where things went from there.

I re-watched The Babadook and was pleased that it still holds up after my initial good impression. The two lead actors are just great. The comments about the annoying kid baffle me..it's like saying Jaws would be better without that damn shark ruining everything.

The Babadook himself is a great looking and well conceived new(ish) character in the horror genre--I've seen the cosplayers..

The lads wanted to watch Matilda, who am I to say no?
anigif_enhanced-13666-1433384291-3.gif

Our Kind of Traitor - Ewan McGregor and Damian Lewis starring in an adaption of a John le Carre novel. I like le Carre novels but this film was just boring.

signed up to a free trial on Mubi recently so I've also watched 48 Hours, Election and Mean Streets in the last few days. All really good!

The Wailing - a 2hr 40min horror by South Korean director Na Hong-jin - he made the excellent crime thrillers The Yellow Sea and The Chaser.

This is about dimwitted cop who teams up with a shaman to rid his village of evil after a mysterious stranger who may or may not be a demon shows up and the townspeople start getting sick. I loved this. Your man is a great director and deftly balances comedy, creepiness and gore. If you're a fan of South Korean cinema, and don't mind the lengthy running time then this is highly recommended.

MV5BODkwMTgxNjA2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc0OTcwOTE@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Dude, you didn't like Arrival or Paterson? Two of my faves this year

What I often find with JJ is that there are good individual scenes where he just shooting people acting but overall I didn't much care for the film.

I've been in the town a fair bit though, it was nice to see familiar spots.

Tickled. Documentary. C List Louis Theroux type investigates a global tickling fetish conspiracy. Once the initial creep-factor wears off it's pretty crap and you wonder why they're going to all this trouble to try and invent a global conspiracy over what is probably a pretty niche fetish.

Richard Pryor Live In Concert. A new arrival on Netflix. I've seen bits of it before but never the whole thing. Wow, it is brilliant.

Is that that one in the big theatre in California? That's good.

If you can see live and smoking it's worth a watch for car crash value. He's coke off his face, in a small club and the audience doesn't get him at all but he's still occasionally great.

Weekend's watching.

Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson for kids. I don't remember hearing any hype about this in 2012, really enjoyed it. Edward Norton was very good. The two lead kids were excellent.

Super 8. J.J. Abrams for kids. Towards the very end I was getting that slight movie box ticking feel you get from his films generally, but it wasn't enough to put me off. Very good flick.

Super 8. J.J. Abrams for kids. Towards the very end I was getting that slight movie box ticking feel you get from his films generally, but it wasn't enough to put me off. Very good flick.

I remember liking it but having the same feeling that it was all wrapped up too neatly, but a friend pointed out to me that as a big Speilberg fan, and Abrams was basically trying to make his version of a Speilberg movie, it probably needed to be.

Watched the Magnificent Seven remake. It's pretty shite. It's exactly the sort of film that you'd get in a Denzel Washington box set that you get for your Da as a last minute present from the airport HMV on your way home for Christmas. Written by the Turd Detective guy.

Currently watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

galaxy quest. Still holds up. Unfortunatily followed it up with Grimsby. Bar two or three chuckles, rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back