What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Got through another 3 films that have been on the virgin box for a while over the weekend.

The Last Picture Show (1971)
Have known the hype about this for years, and was delighted that it held up to same. Loved it. Keeping it recorded. Slightly surprised seeing Randy Quaid pop up.

The Seventh Seal (1957)
It is a bit of a victim of the subsequent parodies and cultural references, but still certainly watchable. Will enjoy reading the wiki on it later when I'm bored.

Waltz with Bashir (2008)
Ultimately a depressing documentary/film. The animation only half worked, using it for the longer sit down interview sections felt like a drag. Not overly familiar with the Lebanon War. Will lead to more sober Wiki reading later.

and in a break from that lot, happened to catch on channel 4 yesterday

Arthur Christmas (2011)
Was glad to see a new christmas film for the first time. Lacked the charm I would expect from Aardman, but passable for sure.

actress-valerie-leon-in-a-publicity-stunt-for-the-hammer-horror-film-blood-from-the-mummy-s-tomb.jpg

Blood from the mummy's tomb last night. Great spooky early 70's hammer horror the bar man inn keeper guy from the wicker man is in this as well dressed smiley doctor.

Not overly familiar with the Lebanon War. Will lead to more sober Wiki reading later.

Screw that. Robert Fisk's book Pity The Nation is what you need here. Informative, authoritative and totally engrossing. Also very long though.

Watched Inglorious Basterds which is basically a bunch of incredibly well crafted set pieces within a less than coherent whole. Not my favourite Tarantino but passed a few hours on a boring Stephens day.

Not quite last night, but over the last two days.

Star Wars: Rogue One - I'm not a Star Wars fan but I really went into this with a positive frame of mind, encouraged by the good reviews, looking forward to something "darker" and ..... sorry ... this was rubbish. 2 hours of explosions and people shooting at each other with laser guns. Spent most of it waiting for it to end. Didn't even have Harrison Ford. Are they really just going to keep making exactly the same movie for ever?

Love And Friendship - not really my cup of tea but enjoyable all the same time. Great script. Kate Beckinsale is brilliant and there is fun to be had location-spotting.

Paterson - the anti-Star Wars. A film where very little happens. The most dramatic moment is a dog chewing a notebook. Loved this. Would watch again with relish and I suspect it would be even better the second time.

The Drop - took a punt on this last night on Netflix. Gandolfini's last film. Also got Tom Hardy. Dennis Lehane-scripted crime thriller. An unexpected pleasure. Quality.

Star Wars: Rogue One - I'm not a Star Wars fan but I really went into this with a positive frame of mind, encouraged by the good reviews, looking forward to something "darker" and ..... sorry ... this was rubbish. 2 hours of explosions and people shooting at each other with laser guns. Spent most of it waiting for it to end. Didn't even have Harrison Ford. Are they really just going to keep making exactly the same movie for ever?

Love And Friendship - not really my cup of tea but enjoyable all the same time. Great script. Kate Beckinsale is brilliant and there is fun to be had location-spotting.

Paterson - the anti-Star Wars. A film where very little happens. The most dramatic moment is a dog chewing a notebook. Loved this. Would watch again with relish and I suspect it would be even better the second time.

The Drop - took a punt on this last night on Netflix. Gandolfini's last film. Also got Tom Hardy. Dennis Lehane-scripted crime thriller. An unexpected pleasure. Quality.
haven't seen love and friendship but agreed on the rest. loved the drop

Recently I have watched

A million ways to die in the west ..brother told me it was side splitting. It wasn't.Yer man can't act.Saved by Charlize Theron.Didn't watch to the end.

Postcards From The Edge..enjoyable enough. I love Meryl Streep but I do wish she wouldn't insist on singing.Very nice surprise appearance by Gene Hackman.Thats usually an instant boost for a production..dude can act.

Hail Caesar .. rubbish.Glorious looking though.

Ooh I forgot ..War Dogs . enjoyable romp..similar to some other movie I can't remember though

Star Wars: Rogue One - I'm not a Star Wars fan but I really went into this with a positive frame of mind, encouraged by the good reviews, looking forward to something "darker" and ..... sorry ... this was rubbish. 2 hours of explosions and people shooting at each other with laser guns.

Eh... that's every Star Wars film. People will have you believe it's not the way they go on about it but it is.

Last edited:
The Accountant. A beefy Ben Afleck plays a high functioning autistic accountant for criminal organisations. He fights and shoots a lot of people Jason Bourne style. There is a scene in which he runs up several flights of stairs without getting out of breath which I wasn't buying at all.

Blood Father. Rewatched this with my own father. Cracking little thriller. Mel Gibson on top form.

In a Valley of Violence. Western from the guy who made the excellent House of the Devil. Enjoyabl b-movie. Sloppy at times but adds to the charm. Best dog performance since The Artist. Great score too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back