What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

Someone clearly decided to adapt Gillian Flynn’s “satanic panic” thriller to cash in on the success of Gone Girl. The talented cast do their best with weak material and shoddy direction (black and white flashbacks??) but it’s risible stuff.
Dark-Places-2015-film-1.jpg

Watched the Amy Winehouse documentary last night. I thought it was terrific. Like with Senna, talking heads are eschewed and all the footage makes for compelling viewing. Although it did leave me thinking that do those providing the footage have the advantage of painting themselves in a better light? Certainly childhood friends and her first manager who seem to provide a sizeable chunk of the early recordings and home/road movies come off by far the best. But I suppose the movie-makers interviewed 100s of people and came up with the narrative they came up with.

And it is riveting. It also refreshingly centres on the music. She was a songwriter/musician/music-lover first and foremost and that definitely comes across. Early tour footage with her band and nailing 'Back to Black' in the studio are among the highlights. Also it doesn't attempt any Behind the Music-style silver-lining, triumph of the human spirit type shit. Her life ended tragically and the film's end is suitably harrowing. Recommended.

Watched the Amy Winehouse documentary last night. I thought it was terrific. Like with Senna, talking heads are eschewed and all the footage makes for compelling viewing. Although it did leave me thinking that do those providing the footage have the advantage of painting themselves in a better light? Certainly childhood friends and her first manager who seem to provide a sizeable chunk of the early recordings and home/road movies come off by far the best. But I suppose the movie-makers interviewed 100s of people and came up with the narrative they came up with.

And it is riveting. It also refreshingly centres on the music. She was a songwriter/musician/music-lover first and foremost and that definitely comes across. Early tour footage with her band and nailing 'Back to Black' in the studio are among the highlights. Also it doesn't attempt any Behind the Music-style silver-lining, triumph of the human spirit type shit. Her life ended tragically and the film's end is suitably harrowing. Recommended.

People have been recommending this, but I never thought she was much cop really.
A few good songs and a massive substance abuse problem.

That said, I've never seen it.

The Salvation – Gothic Western starring Mads Mikkelsen as a flinty Dane up against some real bad dudes. Starts really well with a beautifully shot, moonlit stagecoach shootout but as it moved toward the final showdown my interest started to wane. Mads and Evan Green do some good work. I could watch that pair all day

1412592474.jpg

People have been recommending this, but I never thought she was much cop really.
A few good songs and a massive substance abuse problem.

That said, I've never seen it.
I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but she'd an amazing voice and was a more than competent song-writer. I think the movie might turn you on that front. But it's worth a watch even if you're not a fan. Obviously not if she grinds your gears big time but it tells the story well and includes some damning indictments of the lifestyle and the British media.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but she'd an amazing voice and was a more than competent song-writer. I think the movie might turn you on that front. But it's worth a watch even if you're not a fan. Obviously not if she grinds your gears big time but it tells the story well and includes some damning indictments of the lifestyle and the British media.

She doesn't grind my gears in the least. Back To Black was a decent record.
She just mostly seems inconsequential.
If Pete Doherty had died and not her, the same movie would be out.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Saw a couple of decent docs in the last week: Precinct Seven Five which is about possibly the most corrupt cop ever in New York history (a guy called Michael Dowd, in the north Brooklyn district in the '80s) and A Doctor's Sword in the IFI about Aidan McCarthy a Cork lad who served with the RAF in France and southeast Asia during WWII and had a series of incredibly harrowing experiences and lucky escapes. I agree with the Thumped review of A Doctor's Sword, in that it's a shame they didn't make a more substantial production of the wartime story, given the amazing source material, and cut back the fairly inconsequential modern-day trip to Japan stuff, but it's still definitely worth seeing. The Michael Dowd one is another mind-boggling true story, the guy was neck deep in the drug baron trade while still working day-to-day as a cop for years.. he does a lot of talking to camera and there's a definite whiff of Jordon Belfort style unrepentant bragging to it, if you can stomach that aspect he's an entertaining story-teller though.

Watched sinister last night a crime novelist moves into a house where a horrific murder happened to research his new book and begins with his family to encounter supernatural forces.

I thought it was typical haunted house stuff but overall not bad it has ulver boards of Canada sun o)) and Boris in the soundtrack none of which I would have recognised except for bits of the old Aghast album which was played in it.

Reading the review of the sequel on thumped didn't help me forget about this film last night.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wet Hot American Summer. Lots of famous people who weren't that famous when it was made in a spoof on American teen movies set in 1981. Apparently it's a cult classic and now there is a Netflix prequel series. I enjoyed it and will watch at least one episode of the series.

Hitman Agent 47

Efficient and undemanding. The kind of thing where you know what you're going to get but enjoy its thin(ish) thrills anyway.

By the time the main bad scientist guy monologues to main good scientist guy he's holding hostage "You know, we are not so different, you and I..." your internal fan boy will be yelling BINGO!

Last edited:
Hitman Agent 47

Efficient and undemanding. The kind of thing where you know what you're going to get but enjoy it's thin(ish) thrills anyway.

By the time the main bad scientist guy monologues to main good scientist guy he's holding hostage "You know, we are not so different, you and I..." your internal fan boy will be yelling BINGO!

Probably won't see it but declaring that Homeland guy is a big step down from Timothy Olyphant.

Probably won't see it but declaring that Homeland guy is a big step down from Timothy Olyphant.
Olyphant had some kind of existential crisis on the last one. Felt it was all beneath him.
Rupert's grand.
This one has Ciaran Hinds, Jurgen Prochnow, Zach Quinto and Thomas Kretschmann too.

I have finished every one of the Hitman computer games so I probably should go see this.

Ever seen a hotel where every single employee and guest has been murdered, dragged to the swimming pool and made to form a human bridge?

I have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back